Jethro Tull's DCC "Original Masters" Gold CD QUESTION?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeT, Apr 10, 2004.

1. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep Thread Starter

As I mentioned about a week ago, I won a version of the DCC Gold CD "Original Master's" by Jethro Tull on ebay. I wanted this disc, not only because Steve mastered it, but because it includes the entire 1st side of "Thick As A Brick".

Well yesterday I was listening to the disc and thought, as usual, it was good to my ears. I looked forward to track 10 - "Thick As A Brick".

Well about 17:21 into the track the music ends abruptly, and there is dead silence for about 1 second, before it picks up again and plays out to the end of the track. I checked the disc in every CD player I have (and I have quite a few) and that "dropout"/"edit" is there on all players. Anyway, I put the disc away and I basically forget about the dropout.

Today I decide to listen to the MOFI "Thick As A Brick" and I make a mental note to see what happens at about the same point in the first part. There is no dropout/edit at that particular point. I then check my EMI remaster of "Thick As A Brick" and check the same point into the first part and there is no dropout/edit. I went back to the DCC and listened to that same part of the song again and there, clear as day, is the dropout/edit. Upon close listen though, even though there is a dropout/edit it doesn't appear as any music is actually missing - just that a second of silence has been "reproduced" on the DCC version that probably isn't supposed to be there.

So here is my obvious question:

Does anyone else notice this dropout/edit at around 17:21 on the Thick as a Brick cut on the DCC disc?

If so - then I have to assume that the master Steve was given to create "Original Masters" obviously was not the master that has been used to create the "Thick as a Brick" album proper. Or if no one else has the dropout, then I won a "defective" copy via ebay. :cry:

So what is going on here? Do I have a good DCC Gold copy of "Original Masters"?

2. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Yep, same "drop-out" on mine, too.

Jim W

3. MikeT

Well - it is good to know that I don't have a defective CD, but the question still remains - What is that dropout? Was it an edit on the mastertape Steve used for "Original Masters", or was it a DCC manufacturing error?

4. reidc

reidc Senior Member

Gee-
    Same thing here!! Wazzup wit dat?

Chris

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

This has only been covered about 405 times!

The side was mixed in two parts because it was so hard to mix. When they dubbed it to the EQ copy they edited the parts together. I used the original master tape work parts (for the first time anywhere) and Ian Anderson forbade me to splice the two parts together or alter the tapes in any way. So, I did what I could but a little gap remains. I could have fixed that with some digital editing but that would have meant dumping the entire program to a digital workstation and I wasn't about to do that, having waited like 3 years for the original analog tapes.

So, there you have it. Enjoy it for what it is: The first anywhere release of the original first generation master mixes.

MikeT, yesstiles, Keith V and 9 others like this.
  6. MikeT

Steve thanks for covering this for the 406th time. :wave:

I did a search on this forum earlier and looked through a lot of posts, but just couldn't seem to find anything about this. Maybe my search wasn't extensive enough.

I am not complaining - I just didn't know about that edit - and believe me I enjoyed listening to your master of "Thick of a Brick" a lot. I figured it was on the mastertape (as I have heard that Thick As A Brick was put together from multiple edits, etc.).

Again, thanks Steve for answering my concerns. I am sure a few years from now someone like me picking up this disc for the first time and not knowing about the tape "edit" will bring this up again for the 407th time. :D

7. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I remember back in 1999 when this was brought up in the ICE CD Watchdog. As Steve said in that magazine "Please remember that on the regular Original Masters CD, they used the 3 minute version of Thick as a Brick and I think that this long version is a pretty good deal".

8. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

I can take your DCC if you don't want it... :p :righton:

George P likes this.
  9. MikeT

Do you know exactly which issue of ICE this was in - I have every copy (except the first 5 or so) - I will go back and look. Thanks.

10. MikeT

Now, now - let's not get carried away. Did I say anywhere in my initial post I didn't want my copy of "Original Masters" :p :D .

I may be obsessive/compulsive - but I sure "ain't" crazy. :) :D :laugh:

11. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

You never know what can you get from an answer so... :p :p

12. reidc

reidc Senior Member

Steve-

I have enough problems remembering what I said and did YESTERDAY :D . It seems I have become my father, and just can't remember everything anymore- must have been that ultra loud music I used to listen to- or whatever killed a few brain cells!!! :righton:

I still wouldn't part with MY Original Masters

Chris

13. eelkiller

It was in issue 151 October 1999.

Barry

14. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Mike - Thanks for bringing this up. I too just recently got it, and just a couple of days ago made a mental note to check the archives on that particular gap. Man - Its great to hear Tull sounding so life-like.
    BTW - yes that was me who was the other sniper on the Rat Pack DCC you scored today. Sorry I drove up your price (and it was a nice price too). I'll get mine soon!!

15. MikeT

Hey no problem on that Rat Pack DCC - it was still a steal at that price!!

Enjoy the Tull disc, it is great.

16. MikeT

Thanks I will go back and read the Watchdog column in that issue again.

17. eelkiller

Mike,
    Glad to help! It pays off to keep all the back issues of ICE. I remembered thinking that there is not much of a chance that DCC would screw up something like this and the very next month Steve explained about the "gap" of sound.

18. Steve Hoffman

Reopened.

19. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Since this is reopened. I am playing this now!! Love the mastering still! Steve, forgive me if you covered this point: Was Ian Anderson a down to earth guy to work with? He comes across that way.

These Tull songs never sounded better, Steve!! :righton:

Tuco likes this.
  20. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

One of personal treasures in my collection. Thanks Steve!

btomarra likes this.
  21. I’m always on the lookout for this disk at a reasonable price. A grail quest.

22. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

Wow, got a copy of this. I’m a big fan of the Steven Wilson mixes, but this disc is really jaw dropping. Thick as a Brick sounds impeccable!

yesstiles likes this.
  23. Steve Hoffman

He was easy to work with, but getting hold of him was the challenge.

Keith V, The Hud, Tuco and 1 other person like this.
  24. Beefalo

Beefalo Living the high life. Bungalow ranch style....

Just so my spending doesn't get out of control I set a maximum limit of $100 USD for any single Disc purchase.
    Finally found one. The Canadian seller offered fast reasonable shipping and this brought the total price within my limit. I'm so glad I was patient and kept looking.
    What an awesome product. I'm sure a lot of time went into this compilation.
    Thank you Steve!

btomarra likes this.
  25. Steve Hoffman

Hope you have your copy.

Gary, Sander and btomarra like this.