Jimi Hendrix Band of Gypsys 50th Anniversary AAA Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Greenmonster2420, Feb 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The ad copy also incorrectly states Available on 180-gram vinyl for the first time in the US.

Tullman and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  2. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Now THIS gets the McDermott essay.

Looked at a couple of places today, they've taken all names off of the copy regarding mastering on the EH site: no Eddie, no George, no Bernie. Eddie's name is still on the AS one.

3. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I see Quality Records is pressing the black vinyl, who will be pressing the Super Duper Color vinyl?

4. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

my gracious, I am so sorry to hear that! I can’t imagine how difficult it must be to recover after something like that.

i just ordered the swirl.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    E.Baba and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  5. savemenow

savemenow Forum Resident

No download code, no purchase for me. I love listening to vinyl, but not so much digitizing the vinyl. It's not hard, but time consuming to do. I have an overwhelming task with all my old LPs as is, WON'T do it with new purchases in this digital age. I don't own this album, so was initially excited by this.
    With no download, I'll just eventually buy a used CD of this. /end rant

hiterss, Chauncey and E.Baba like this.
  6. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

Hmm, I can get the colored version for 44 US or the regular black from amazon for about 27 US..

ODShowtime likes this.
  7. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

It also states that Eddie Kramer mastered the vinyl.

If I remember correctly, the Classic Records was mastered and cut by one Mr Bernie Grundman...

8. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

I'm sceptical that this is newly mastered.

The recent Songs for Groovy Children used existing mastering/metalwork from Grundman's mastering of Fillmore East 12/31/69 release and the rest of the discs sounded unmastered , and weren't by Grundman. So, I think this is nothing new

9. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

it will be great to have this available affordably again. one of my most favorite albums that's always proved a challenge to track down on noise-free, inexpensive vinyl.

Big Blue likes this.
  10. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

You do you, but I am seeing used CDs available for like $7. Doesn’t seem absurdly expensive to buy this LP release plus a used CD for ripping purposes, if you like the album and want the LP.

Rockin' Robby and Pouchkine like this.
  11. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I noticed that, and assumed it’s not QRP. Otherwise I would assume they would include that detail...

12. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

The updated version reads this way:

>>This new, all analog edition of Band Of Gypsys has been mastered from the original analog stereo tapes and will mark the first time Capitol/UMe has released this album onto 180-gram audiophile grade vinyl. With production overseen by Quality Record Pressings, Band Of Gypsys will be available on a 180-gram black vinyl pressing, plus as a limited-edition, 180-gram translucent cream, red, yellow and green swirl vinyl available exclusively from Authentic Hendrix: The Official Jimi Hendrix Store.<<

So it sounds like QRP is oversseing production on both.

Digital heathen that I am, I'd love a nice digi-pak CD of this, but this looks like the definitive EH version of this album and seems pretty reasonably priced.

heepsterandrey and Big Blue like this.
  13. John D.

John D. Senior Member

What other titles have QRP done in colored vinyl?

14. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

So the 8LP band of gypsys box isnt AAA? or what?

15. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

This is a definite purchase for Dr. Funk's growing collection. I own a mangled RL that shouldn't ever be played again, and the Ron McMaster reissue (2008) that sounds like a poorly mastered cd...yeah, I need this one bad.

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  16. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

It looks like a repackage of the Classic Records 2005 release. The new one will come with a promotional poster that isn't in the Classic. I have the 200 gram numbered 1st issue of the Classic and it's excellent sounding. I'm glad Experience Hendrix are reissuing it. I'm good with what I have and will not repurchase it.

George Marino did the Classic.

Greenmonster2420 and Myke like this.
  17. Further

Further Forum Resident

Must have to go along side the other EH AAA reissues. Ordered.

polchik and ODShowtime like this.
  18. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

Has Kramer ever mastered anything before? If so, how’s his work?

19. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Exactly what I addressed earlier in this thread, Bernie did not cut this, George Marino did. People assume it's always Bernie, or Bellman when the subject of a Classic comes up.
    Likely what the person responsible for the email did.

Also, I know there's no change in the tracklisting, I never said there was. What I was saying in my post was, it wasn't going to be one of those reissues that adds bonus tracks. That once that I saw it was the historical tracklisting, it confirmed for me I could easily pass on this.

marcb, The Gomper and Big Blue like this.
  20. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I have been trying to unload that McMasterpiece for two years now. I have two original RLs with the exact same deadwax from the same plant. They don't look great but they play really well. I'm in for a AAA reissue, why not?

21. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Coincidentally I was just about to buy Band Of Gypsys on vinyl after I got the 2-LP set Machine Gun recently.
    So, this is great news! Waiting for that release then. Just hope it's easy to get in Europe (as I saw it's a US pressing only?)

22. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

The story goes something like this...doorbell rings, right when I'm flipping sides (RL), thus slips out of my hands and puts a gash amongst the scuffs and needle marks that canvass my record. I would have been a lot more disgusted if it was a clean pressing.
    I can be a dumb@ss at times.

23. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

Classic Records numbered release 180 grams was in 1997. It's confusing because they all have the same number ST-472. This is the one I have. It was released in 1997 and also 2005. The 2005 versions has 140, 150, and 200 gram vinyl. These are not numbered.

140 gram is regular vinyl
    150 gram is considered heavy vinyl
    200 gram is considered super vinyl

24. Greenmonster2420

Greenmonster2420 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wow this release is getting confusing fast.

Acoustic Sounds now reads:

“All-analog mastering from the original stereo tapes by George Marino at Sterling Sound and longtime Hendrix engineer Eddie Kramer

Lacquer cutting by George Marino at Sterling Sound

Plated and pressed at Quality Record Pressings for superior sound!”

EH now reads:
    “This new, all analog edition of Band of Gypsys has been mastered from the original analog stereo tapes and is pressed on 180-gram audiophile black vinyl by Quality Record Pressings. The Band of Gypsys 50th anniversary LP will be packaged with an eight-page booklet filled with rare images from the concerts and an essay by John McDermott. This special edition will feature a 24" x 36" replica of Capitol Record' original promotional Band of Gypsys poster.”

So EH removed any indication of a mastering engineer, and AS added Marino. AS also still says first time in US on 180g, which is false. I don’t think anyone knows what the hell is going on at this point. Probably best to hold off speculating until we know more and can see some dead wax info.

The only part I think we can be confident in right now it that it is AAA, 180g, pressed at QRP. It sounds promising, regardless of the details being quite confusing.

Also, the link I provided in my OP is now bad, so here’s another for those interested: Band of Gypsys: Anniversary Edition | Authentic Hendrix - The Official Jimi Hendrix Store

quicksrt, Echoes Myron and E.Baba like this.
  25. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

Link to the swirl?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.