Jimi Hendrix Band Of Gypsys

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wasatch, May 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

It's likely.

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

:laugh: He writes I believe...misspelling believe, and all in caps ! He could be wearing a foil hat. :biglaugh:

marcfeld69 likes this.
  3. marcfeld69

Any knowledge on Polydor Classic vs Classic Classic, anyone?

4. marcfeld69

Bump.

5. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

I propose :

Polydor classic is an old Polydor with hype.
    Classic classic is a more recent OOP reissue.

6. marcfeld69

Thanks, but I’m not quite sure what you mean by ‘with hype’. It’s the same year as the Classic and the label looks the same, plus there is even a number, with some kind of authentication, at least on that Discogs link above.

7. marcfeld69

Are you saying that the actual mastering is from a previous Polydor? That would surely be advertising under false premises when it has a Classic Records authentication number. Or is it just a mistaken listing?

8. marcfeld69

As a side-note, I've just noticed there is only an EU edition of EH's B.O.G., no US (I wonder why) which came out in 2010. Anyone have this and can compare it to other B.O.G.s? (There's also a MOV the same year...)

Hendrix* - Band Of Gypsys

9. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

From what I can see on my phone there is nothing 'Polydor' about it.

As far as I know Polydor were no longer a label at that time and never released BOG in the US on Polydor anyway.
    BOG was always on Capitol in the US.

I reckon someone got the entry wrong.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  10. marcfeld69

I think you're right. Maybe it's a standard CR after all.

E.Baba likes this.
  11. marcfeld69

Bump. I think this got lost in the interchange above...

12. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

My beat up Rainbow Bridge RL sounds great, too!

I have the 180g Band of Gypsies. It’s very good.

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  13. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

I have it. It’s good, but I don’t have a Capitol RL to compare it to.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  14. Classic is the best IMO, although the RL I compared it to was a little beat up. Took me 2 classics to find a quiet one but the search was worth it.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  15. marcfeld69

That must have been expensive! Which Classics did you have (in terms of weight)?

16. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

It is hard to find the green label Capitol RL pressings that aren’t crackly. Hard for me anyway. That goes for the sepia self titled second album by The Band also.

17. Not at home to confirm 100%, but I believe the quieter one was a 180g that I got sealed.

The noisier was the 150g. It wasn’t terrible but this is one of my favorite albums so I was picky. Resold it for right around what I paid for it, so not too expensive at all :)

18. I can second this experience for both albums. But The Band s/t RL is one of the best sounding records out there. Breathtaking. It was worth the search to find a quiet one (I went through 5).

marcfeld69 and breakingglass like this.
  19. marcfeld69

Ouch! That'll be the one I just bought! My first Classic-to-be. I hope I can sell it on if it's a dud but I don't get put off easily. Probably crackling is what annoys me most.

20. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Its a little bit of a crap shoot as to "crackly" vinyl, more so from some pressing plants than others!

I have the CR180 and 200. The 180 is clearly the better pressing with the latter off centre to start with!

I have the RL and nice it is too but my go to is the Classic Clarity unissued, by a long way.

marcfeld69 and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  21. marcfeld69

You have to wonder what the logic is in producing a 140 and 150g. Purely economic? (I did find at least one SH member who is satisfied with his 150g, I'm happy to report.)

22. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

They will sound the same.

23. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

News flash: Heavyweight vinyl has no correlation to sound quality.

GentleSenator and steviebee like this.
  24. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Nope, but not because of the weight!

I wish the industry would "get real" with this and realise it is simply a waste of resources. Standard vinyl pressings do not need to be 180grm. I guess they like to use the "audiophile standard" tag but that really is a load of bull!

The differences heard between different weight vinyl is usually because the weight records carry some other difference(s).

Classic Records 180grm and 200 grm BoG pressings for instance don't just differ with weight, the 200 grm is also Quiex SV-P.

DTK, marcfeld69 and steviebee like this.
  25. marcfeld69

I checked a few days ago. I think the Clarity was about $1,000...:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.