Jimi Hendrix Experience Electric Ladyland (50th Anniversary Edition) 4-CD Box EH/Sony Nov. 9

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kanakaris, Mar 21, 2018.

1. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Still 'coming soon' on Acoustic Sounds, TBA on Music Direct and April 30 on Elusive Disc.

2. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I was initially less than impressed with the 5.1 mix of EL (and stated as much earlier in the thread). Hell, I thought the stereo mix was better surround than the 5.1 mix.

Then I found out somehow some of my Mch settings got changed. After re-balancing, etc., I'm happy to admit I was wrong. I'm find the 5.1 mix to be a pretty good simile of the stereo mix - with its OOP surround effects - and to be quite a good 5.1 mix by and large.

And I'm pretty hard to please and have 500+ surround (5.1, quad, etc) mixes so I'm pretty well versed in what's been done.

Do I wish the hi-rez stereo mix was handled better? Sure. But I've already got a bunch of good options for this which, at best, could be improved upon very little.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  3. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

I spoke to AS yesterday and was told there are some "production issues." Still TBA.

jhm likes this.
  4. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

Curious what the hold up is. This is one LONG delay!

5. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

6. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

Nicely done, I enjoyed reading it!

7. John Harchar

Word from those who spoke to AS was a mastering issue. We’ll see if it makes the April 30 date that Elusive Disc has listed but no one else does including AS.

8. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The only date that matters for Acoustic Sounds products is Acoustic Sounds’.

9. John Harchar

Yep. Which does make me wonder where Elusive Disc got their date, if AS doesn't know when they're shipping their own product, how does Elusive know?

10. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Thank ya kindly :agree:

Now I await the next release - Royal Albert Hall, right??? :laugh:

jhm and Gordon Johnson like this.
  11. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Got an estimated date from AS and just plugged into their system? Or maybe in lieu of any data, the just plug a future date - and update with another fictional date when the old one is eclipsed?

I think this type of stuff happens a lot. While enthusiasts of [insert band or album here] hang on every bit of release info out there with bated breath, it’s just a marketing data point for retailers. It’s only as accurate as the info they’re provided from the record company - if they get any info. And some retailers probably don’t even differentiate at all between very rough estimates and hard dates.

12. moomoomoomoo

Before that (& I agree with you that we need a quality RAH) I'd like to see AP do Ladyland right on 2.0 SACD!

13. moomoomoomoo

What seems odd to me is that AYE & Axis were announced at the same time.

frank3si likes this.
  14. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

You're not the only one... :agree:

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

So? Different albums, different tapes.

jhm likes this.
  16. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Gordon Johnson and audiomixer like this.
  17. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

I believe that the popularity of surround sound components marketed by the industry is and will always be driven first and foremost by the consumer wanting to purchase them.

Shvartze Shabbos and audiomixer like this.
  18. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Oh, so we happen to have opposite opinions. Cool. I stick with mine thanks.

19. mark winstanley

I would have to disagree. I loved the idea of surround, and once I got my set up it became obvious to me that this is what I always wanted music to sound like.
    Sure I had to buy the components, but If I want to cook food at home I need an oven, toaster, pans, dishes, cutlery .... I like cooking my food at home, so I bought the stuff to do it. I love surround sound music, so I bought what I needed to have it.
    Electric Ladyland is a great sounding 5.1 album. It is certainly not a money grab from my perspective, it is about time it was out there.
    To some degree I wish we weren't being made to buy box sets all the time for this beautiful thing, but Electric Ladyland was one of the more budget minded releases from my experience.

20. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I agree with my opinion!

Man at C&A likes this.
  21. mark winstanley

Ok, no need to get touchy. You put forward a statement saying basically it is merely a commercial cash grab. i was merely stating that for me it was a huge blessing and I love it

Deek57, thgord and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  22. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Were any Hendrix tapes incinerated in the 2008 Universal fire?

23. No, according to UMG nothing much was in that building except a few country artist outtakes from the 1940’ and 50’s and several Howdy Doody kinescopes. We’re good! :whistle:

24. mark winstanley

I don't know, but I am slightly skeptical about all master tapes and multi-track tapes being in the same building. Another thing is, when cd came out, most of these tapes were transferred onto digital files surely?
    Certainly there may be some tapes that were destroyed, but it seems incredibly unlikely that, for example, the entire Hendrix catalog, is now not in existence because everything ever recorded was locked in one building with no copies, digital or physical

25. mark winstanley

lol

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.