Jimi Hendrix Experience Electric Ladyland (50th Anniversary Edition) 4-CD Box EH/Sony Nov. 9

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kanakaris, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

oh well, at least I have not got the DVD so will have to just swap out the 1997 remaster Cd for a Cdr of the 1st Polydor and now I will at least have the best cover art with Hendrix in the park :)

2. Maidenpriest

He also did 'Come On' and of course Burning The Midnight Lamp... what I really want to hear is the un-circulated live 1969 'Third Stone From The Sun' do EH have it in there archive ?

Tuck1977 and MoonPool like this.
  3. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Also, "Voodoo Chile" had been in his live setlist for a while in its earlier incarnation as "Catfish Blues".

Maidenpriest likes this.
  4. Maidenpriest

5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Hmmm.. . . looks official. Is it?

6. Maidenpriest

7. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

That's very 50/50 I believe.

DTK likes this.
  8. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

Crosstown also has a Mono mix. Actually I only think Watchtower is a fold down the others are true mono.

And its possible Watchtower is true mono as well. The mono mixes were released on various 45s and BOTML, Crosstown Traffic and Gypsy Eyes are all available in original 45 mono mixes on the Classic Singles Volume 2 Boxset. I am not aware of a Long Hot Summer Night in Mono. Can you tell me what that was released on?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

None of these are true mono mixes.

The only true mono mix from Electric Ladyland is Burning Of The Midnight Lamp - which was recorded, mixed and released as a UK 45 in ‘68 before the ELL sessions even began and thus is why a true mono exists.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  10. Experiencereunited

And what is the basis of stating this as fact? Gypsy Eyes and to a lesser extent Crosstown Traffic sound like significantly different mixes on the 45s not like a foldown mix. In fact I would say if you haven't heard these mixes you need to hear them as they are very different and very cool IMO. The Watchtower mono sounds the least different than its stereo counterpart.

11. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Sorry, they’re folddowns. There is no evidence of mono mixes for any ELL sessions.

12. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

Theres a track off a jimi doco. I think it was the ELL doco. Backwards Experiment i think its called.

Sounds like a solo guitar of Have You Ever Been, with another guitar played backwards over the top. Its just a snippet of it, with some guy talking over the top ('he seemed to find away of getting inside the guitar..." or words to that effect.)

Id love to hear the full thing. And some VCSL outtakes. Hopefully these and other gems are getting primed for this release.

Ive been obsessed with ELL since i was 15. Ive bought it so many times. Im so pumped for this release. If it was just a Grundman remaster for the 50th, id be just as excited. But the thought of my all time favourite album getting a deluxe treatment, fills me with absolute joy.

Cokelike- and davenav like this.
  13. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

14. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Yep. Anything new with ladies is a ripoff.

15. mretrain

mretrain Forum Resident

They're Russian...

SinnerSaint likes this.
  16. Experiencereunited

Have u ever even heard them?

17. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Probably, but I haven’t every 45 from every country.

Of course they “sound” different...the stereo mixes are full of OOP effects. But they’re still folddowns.

What differences are you hearing? Are there any edits? Are there any additional instruments? Are there any instruments without OOP in the stereo mix which are missing in the “mono” mix? Are the fades the different?

18. Experiencereunited

There is no way Gypsy Eyes in particular is just a fold down. The mix is so different it is like a different song just like Burning of The Midnight Lamp Mono sounds almost like a completely different song. On Gypsy Eyes Instruments come in at different places and the song is just totally different. The other 2 (Crosstown Traffic and Watchtower) I am willing to accept they may just be fold downs. However, Crosstown was the B side of Gypsy Eyes so if they really made a real mono mix for Gypsy Eyes they may have for Crosstown Traffic as well. Actually the best way to tell for sure without getting an answer straight from Eddie (which I have asked for btw) would be to compare the fold down mono ELL pressing such as the Brazil pressing with the 45s.

19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

As I said, the voluminous OOP effects will make the folddown sound quite different.

Have you tried taking the stereo mix of Gypsy Eyes and folding it down? Mastering differences aside, do the instruments basically come in at the same different places as the supposed mono mix? I’ll think you’ll find they do.

20. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

What were your findings?

21. Experiencereunited

The notes on Classic singles Vol 2 state the following when it comes to Gypsy Eyes and Crosstown Traffic. Hendrix did not prepare discrete mono mixes they were instead created by Reprise. I am not sure this means they were folddowns

22. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Thanks for that info. Highly doubtful they had access to the multis.

23. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

If played loud enough and with the right system, there are parts of Electric Ladyland on the original UK vinyl that sound like a surround master. Just sayin'....

24. marcb

marcb Senior Member

That’s the intentional OOP effects. They’re all over Electric Ladyland.
    It doesn’t require any special equipment though (or volume - although louder is always better :edthumbs:) ; you just need to be in the sweet spot of any properly set-up speakers.

It’s also why folddowns of the stereo mix sound like different mixes.

supernaut likes this.
  25. Experiencereunited

Folddown or not the mono ELL mixes that exist are definately worth hearing (particularily Gypsy Eyes and BOTML) Looks like Burning Of The Midnifht Lamp is the only mono mix on ELL that Jimi mixed himself with Eddie