Jimi Hendrix Experience Electric Ladyland (50th Anniversary Edition) 4-CD Box EH/Sony Nov. 9

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kanakaris, Mar 21, 2018.

1. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Midnight Lamp ended up on ELL but was recorded, mixed and released as a 45 in the UK in summer of '67 - sort of during the Axis sessions and well more than a year before ELL was released.

Nevertheless, you don't need to buy the 45s to do that. Just folddown the whole album.

Use a stereo to mono switch if you have it. Or buy a couple of cheap RCA Y cords, hook 'em up together and put that between your CD player and CD input or your phono stage and your pre-amp. Or do a needledrop and use the summing function in your audio software.

It will certainly be a different listen...I might just do it for the hell of it myself.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  2. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

do you have any evidence to backup this claim?

3. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Read the thread.

4. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

Im not sure why anyone would want to hear such a lush 3D record in mono. I can understand it from a curio standpoint, as ABAL can be an entertaining listen in mono. But ELL is just as dependent on the spacial stereo imaging as it is on the strenght of its content.

I just dont think itd benefit.

5. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Agree but I think you answered your own question...a curio standpoint.

IMO, the mono mix of Midnight Lamp on the UK 45 is pretty meh.

6. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

The stereo mix of Midnight Lamp isnt great either.

If we are getting bonus discs with the 50th release, i hope its not wasted on a mono mix. But Janie did say outtakes, so fingers crossed thats what we get.

7. marcb

marcb Senior Member

If there actually is a mono mix of ELL in the vaults, I absolutely 100% would want it included in a 50th release.

But there is no mono mix of ELL. I very, very seriously doubt they’d bother to create one for a 50th release.

weavzy likes this.
  8. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

It was the ELL doc. I brought this up in one of these recent Jimi threads a while back. I, too, would love to hear the whole thing. And I am wondering if anyone can confirm that this is circulating or if it is still unreleased. It's got to be one of the coolest ELL outtakes that there could be.

9. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

I see creating one as a strange and bizare backward step. Surely its not on the cards.

Maidenpriest and marcb like this.
  10. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

Ive got a pretty good collection of Jimi boots. Ive never come across it in full. The snippet from the doco is on a ELL outtake comp i have though. As far as I know its uncirculated.

11. Ern

Ern Senior Member

Just remix Burning Of The Midnight Lamp! The song sounds like **** on mono and stereo anyway!!!

barfko, John DeAngelis and weavzy like this.
  12. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

If we are getting “super deluxe” ELL on SACD we should get outakes, original stereo mix and mono mixes and a new
    5.1 mix. I dont think mono is a step backwards at all. I like the mono mixes that are out there alread. particularly BOTML and Gypsy Eyes. That said I would also like
    To hear a new 5.1 mix as long as they also include the original stereo mix too.

13. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

I have, I have seen much opinion but no sources confirming that BOTML is the only dedicated mono mix.

14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Again, there are no mono mixes except Midnight Lamp. Folddowns need not apply...I can make my own.

15. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

do many people want 5.1 mixes? i only have 1, and i cant even play it.
    outtakes, alternate takes and a remaster is enough for me

Maidenpriest likes this.
  16. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

Nah, i certainly don't. But it's not gonna happen anyway. Kramer and McDermott did an interview recently. They said they have zero interest un remixing any if the albums. I think Kramer actually singled out ELL, saying remixing 1983 would be pretty much impossible, because he and Jimi basically played the mixing desk like an instrument. Hard to recreate.

White_Noise and Maidenpriest like this.
  17. marcb

marcb Senior Member

5.1 would not technically be a RE-mix. It was never mixed to 5.1.

However, a 5.1 mix would, as you say, be difficult. But, if the multis still exist, probably easier than a stereo re-mix because the slate would be cleaner - so to speak.

18. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Define “many”.

I don’t really care about outtakes and alternate takes - they’re usually don’t illuminate much, were outtakes and alternates for a reason, and I rarely listen to them more once (if that). And the last thing the world needs is another crappy remaster on CD.

I’ve already got great vinyl. Just give me a 5.1 mix and a great stereo mastering in Hi-rez on a single BD-A for $40 or less. If folks want to pay $100+ for 4 CDs of fluff, yet another vinyl pressing and a poster or marbles or skarf, make that available to them too.

19. sleeptowin

many
    [ˈmɛni]
    numerous · a great/good deal of · a lot of · a large/great number of ·
    countless · innumerable · scores of · crowds of · droves of · an army of · a horde of · a multitude of · a multiplicity of · multitudinous · numberless · multiple · untold · several · various · sundry · diverse · assorted · multifarious · copious · abundant · profuse · an abundance of · a profusion of · frequent · lots of · umpteen · eleventy · loads of · masses of · stacks of · scads of · heaps of · piles of · bags of · tons of · oodles of · dozens of · hundreds of · thousands of · millions of · billions of · zillions of · more … than one can shake a stick at · shedload · a slew of · gazillions of · bazillions of · gobs of · a swag of · myriad · divers
    antonyms: few
    NOUN
    (the many)
    1. the majority of people.
      "music for the many"
      synonyms: the people · the common people · the masses · the multitude ·
      [More]

20. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Thanks for the English lesson there professor, but uhh, you used it as an adjective...

Nevertheless, I’d say the answer to what you thought was a rhetorical question was...yes, MANY would like a 5.1 mix - if by many you mean “a lot of” or “a good deal of” or “scads of”.

However, if by many, you mean something a little more precise and relevent to the conversation like “enough to drive sales and make a profit”, I’d say there is enough evidence to say - again - Yes.

Lownote30 likes this.
  21. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

I have to wonder if they tried back in late 90s/early 2000s, ran into these very issues and decided to not go further. I think it was at the FB live show a couple of nights before release that they said they weren't going to do any Steve Wilson-type remixing of the first three albums.

22. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

Though they have released remixes of these from the AYE sessions:

Foxy Lady
    Purple Haze
    Fire
    Third Stone From The Sun
    Love Or Confusion
    May This Be Love
    Highway Chile

So, yes, maybe they changed their minds later...

marcb likes this.
  23. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Weren't a bunch of those vintage mixes from Chas's widow?

There's a couple DVD out there that show Kramer playing with the ELL multi tracks. Kramer talking about ELL surround a decade ago implies they have virtually everything they need.

24. sleeptowin

ive been in the studio with Eddie Kramer a few years back, he had masters of a lot of tracks and played us a couple tracks, I'm sure one was crosstown traffic. so it could be mixed again, he played vocal only tracks and was bringing faders up and down. it was a London thing to promote vallys.. i think around 2014 ish

25. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

As SoundAdvice mentioned, these are the mixes done back when the albums were being done and I expect more of those to come on the ELL 50th. What they're talking about now is the likelihood of going back and remixing everything from scratch ala Steve Wilson and deciding against it. I love those videos where Eddie plays with the faders and hearing things isolated, etc. That's probably the closest we'll get at the moment to hearing things differently.