Jimi Hendrix: Fifty Years Gone

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Sep 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

The Voodoo Child left our plane of existence fifty years ago. Just 27 years old, he reinvented the electric guitar and released four albums, three being alltime classics and even the fourth still being really freakin’ good.
    He was a true one of a kind figure in music, and even for how many imitators he’s had, nobody can even come close to recreating his genius. Genius, a term that’s been reduced to nothing by so many who throw it around willy nilly. But for Jimi Hendrix, it’s completely warranted. Not only a gifted guitarist but also a truly great songwriter, a highly charismatic performer and singer, a very good ear for sonics. A true artist who always looked for that certain something that can’t be so easily explained, he represented what we can truly do when we put our minds to it. Not to mention how radical his mere existence was as a black man in the rock world, especially one fronting and leading a band consisting of otherwise white musicians. He bridged many worlds with his music, just as music should do.
    It’s hard to avoid wondering and mourning what could have been, what else he could have given us. And I’m extremely confident that it would have been a rich and rewarding career, certainly an interesting one. But regardless, he left behind a legacy most can barely even dream of.
    Thank you Mr. Hendrix for all you gave us, and may he Rest In Peace.
    [​IMG]

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

damn that's so long ago!

3. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

Alas, we hardly knew ye.

4. Alex D

Alex D Forum Resident

One of the greatest musicians to ever grace this planet.

Long Live Jimi!

5. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

Indeed!

speedracer and The Beave like this.
  6. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

7. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

On the night after, September 19, 1970 at the Fillmore East, the Grateful Dead performed what is arguably their best Dark Star ever.

Coincidence?

8. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

I'll never forget that day. I was in Nashville and saw a sign outside a record store that said "Long Live Jimi Hendrix RIP". Been mourning him and Duane Allman ever since.

9. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

I well remember this day, because it was also my 13th birthday and this is the day I officially became a record collector. I’d been a fan of Jimi for sometime, going back to when I was between 9 and 10, listening to Hey Joe, Purple Haze and Foxy Lady on the radio during the magnificent Summer of Love. My older brother bought Are You Experienced? so I used to listen to that a lot in our bedroom. Shortly after Jimi died, Voodoo Child became a posthumous No. 1 and truly, I’ve been a fan ever since. Jimi only made it to 27, but today I’m 63 and although my day might be tinged with some bittersweet sadness, I’m also going to celebrate the man who brought so much joy into my life. Here’s to you, Jimi Hendrix!

10. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

So sad.......tomorrow he wouldn't be by anyone's side!

11. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

Jimi Hendrix was an early hero, and he served me as such as well as Bob Dylan, who had the advantage of staying alive all this time.

And still some of Jimi's greatest performances remain unreleased. And I'm excited to see and hear them.

I'm 50 now, a second or even third generation fan, and once in while I see teenagers wearing Hendrix T shirts. It thrills me. Maybe just ego because I know I was right, or maybe happiness to know someone who meant so much to me touched so many others in the same deep places. Surely we are one people.

RIP Jimi Hendrix

Dave Hoos, iggyd, mando_dan and 14 others like this.
  12. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

I pulled out my mono track and played it...

I've been a fan since I heard voodoo chile at 14 on in the west....

13. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yeah what a loss.
    Besides his fantastic music I also admire his attitude to life, great sense of humor and deep intelligence. He really was a sweet, spiritual man.

14. armin

armin Forum Resident

Nevertheless, Bishop, have a happy birthday! Lots of joy, fun, health and happiness to you. Keep on going to enjoy great music!
    Best
    Armin

speedracer, SG47 and The Bishop like this.
  15. Longinus

Longinus Forum Resident

Rock In Peace, jamming with Bonzo.

16. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Has there been anyone else with such a short career who has been so influential? Maybe Buddy Holly?

RIP Jimi

17. gazzaa2

gazzaa2 Forum Resident

Taken far too young. Many of his generation are still going strong and performing/releasing new material 50 years later (he's younger than Dylan or Paul and Ringo).

A tragic loss of genius, but still a genuine legend.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  18. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

50 years? That set me back on my heals a bit.
    Music in general and particularly Jimi Hendrix music was an immeasurable relief from what was frequently a terribly boring, pointless couple of years in high school. Listening to AYE for the first time gave me shot after shot of every positive neurotransmitter my brain could produce. Jimi's music was an elixir, an antidote to despair, a secret doorway out of an world that I just did not fit well within. Finding Jimi's music felt extremely lucky to me, and having the opportunity to see him live twice was beyond luck- more like extreme good fortune.
    R.I.P. with your sweet Angels, Jimi Hendrix

evh5150, Dave Hoos, iggyd and 17 others like this.
  19. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Really? They never played together.

O Don Piano and Deek57 like this.
  20. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

The man also possessed a work ethic nearly unmatched among his peers , tirelessly working on new songs and new sounds and new ways of capturing both —in the studio and on stage.

This is why we’ve enjoyed an endless ,almost uninterrupted stream of “fresh” new music for half a century.

With more yet to come.

iggyd, mando_dan, smoke and 9 others like this.
  21. siebrand

siebrand music lover

pop/Rock music in 1970...
    I, personally, don't remember much of that period.
    I wasn't 12 yet, what did I know about Jimy Hendriks?

In my house rock, jazz, pop, blues ... were almost forbidden: My father didn't allow us to listen to the devil's music.

I remember a friend of mine, 2 years older than me, telling me it was a sad day, because "Jimi is dead".
    I asked who this Jimi was.
    He told me about a rock guitarist ...
    To which, I replied ... but rock music ... my father says it's the devil's music ... to which, he replied "no ... Jimi's playin is not the devil's music ... it's the music of the paradise"
    Then, over the next few months, I learned he was right.

evh5150, Dave Hoos, Ken Wood and 11 others like this.
  22. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

... and his middle name was Marshall.

23. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Seems like an apt moment to share any memories of those two shows?

CRadtke, Brian Lux and kees1954 like this.
  24. The Bishop

Thank you, thank you, thank you. One of the records I bought on my 13th birthday, was Cat Stevens Moonshadow. So I’ve been listening to that, quite loud, along with Voodoo Child, a posthumous U.K No. 1.

Jimi will be in our hearts forever...well, as long as we’re allowed.

SG47 and kees1954 like this.
  25. The Bishop

Great post. Everybody has been burned.

The Beave likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.