Jimi Hendrix "Songs For Groovy Children" 5CD Box Set of '70 Fillmore East Concerts Due Nov. 22, 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thenobs70, Oct 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

I prefer things be more comprehensive than less, so it; would've been nice to hear the story about how they finally got a hold of these tapes to do a release like this. But that's generally not they do things, so I'm not surprised or overly disappointed about it. It sounds like a very nicely done release, more along the lines of what they should have done for ELL. I got the note this morning it'll be arriving by 2:30p today...at where I was yesterday and won't be back until next week unfortunately! :cussing:

2. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I like how Jimi’s tone in these shows is relatively cleaner and less distorted than the extreme volume and feedback of latter-day Experience shows such as San Diego 1969. This was less about turning up to eleven and more about playing guitar.

3. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

OK, I just finished listening to this entire set. I love it. Some great performances that I have never heard before plus the sonics are fantastic. I really love this set.

I listened to the last set this morning just in time to open my email and see my high resolution download of Grateful Dead's new album, Ready Or Not. I will spend today listening to this new high rez album of some nice Grateful Dead tunes.

Roberto899, bluesbro, DTK and 2 others like this.
  4. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Last ones for now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

And see, I was just the opposite. I found Lover Man to only be "ok". I think we'll all find a lot to enjoy with this set overall, however.

All Down The Line and DTK like this.
  6. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I totally agree about it being his best vocal performance of the run. I was a bit surprised (but pleasantly so) he sounded so strong. Perhaps it'll convince some that Buddy really can sing. Well, I suppose it's actually the "testifying" that most people had an issue with.

DTK and EVOLVIST like this.
  7. mrlucky56

mrlucky56 Forum Resident

Getting it today, but listened to most on Amazon Streaming. The sound quality on the last set is awesome. It seems the recording quality improved as the shows progressed. The last show has some added ambience. The full Power Of Soul and Message To love were standouts.
    Also, the Earth Blues from 1/1/70 first set. The part we were missing. Starts a bit rough but the soloing, again is off the charts. Steal Away is killer!

Purple Jim, DTK and jhm like this.
  8. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

Yeah, I decided not to purchase at this price. I'm keen to hear it, but spotify for me!

Doggiedogma likes this.
  9. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

kanakaris likes this.
  10. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

My Jimi box will be with me tomorrow. :waiting:

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  11. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Has anyone compared the mix between the Machine Gun CD and the first set on Groovy Children? Is the first set on the new box a new mix—different than the 2016 Machine Gun CD?

905 and JasonA like this.
  12. Jerry c.

Jerry c. Forum Resident

alright. you got me. ordered. $44.32 from amazon. SAME DAY DELIVERY.

mgb70, Norbert Becker, Mazzy and 3 others like this.
  13. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

jhm likes this.
  14. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

The testifying bit but also Buddy's ability to sing just a tiny, tiny bit off key, as heard on Changes and We Gotta Live. Jimi sang off key here and there, but Buddy sometimes does it entire songs.
    But still impressive to drum and sing at the same time I guess.

jhm likes this.
  15. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

I listened to one song, "Machine Gun" from disc 2 before leaving for work... sounded fab!!

bluesbro and therockman like this.
  16. craymcla

craymcla Forum Resident

Were the tapes ever "lost"? I would have assumed that EH has always had the tapes.

17. acetboy

acetboy Forum Resident

It's the same mix on both releases. You can hear that they are the same and FFT analysis images are identical.

Although the Machine Gun CD is mastered at lower volume. It's like with the Machine Gun CD that they completely forgot to use their limiter. Not a bad thing. lol

I do like the overall sound of the new release though so far. I've only listened to the first two cd's.

ARK, BlueSpeedway, JasonA and 2 others like this.
  18. Jerry c.

Jerry c. Forum Resident

19. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

They were lost in a sense that they had been in Paul Allen's hands since early seventies.

Mullin likes this.
  20. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

'

As posted earlier in this thread I believe, the tapes were indeed lost in the sense that they were abandoned after work on the LP was finished, but luckily the facility owner had the foresight not to throw the tapes out. They were offered for sale roughly 25 years later and Paul Allen was the one who bought the masters. He didn't buy them in the 70s, but in 1998. EH had to get permission from his estate to use them, so no, EH doesn't "have" these tapes in their archive (the masters at least).

ricks and Doctor Flang like this.
  21. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Hendrix’s tone during this Fillmore run was arguably the best of his career.

mgb70, vegafleet, rednax and 15 others like this.
  22. powerpc

powerpc Active Member

Someone may have already pointed this out (i've been following the thread pretty closely but may have missed it)... disc 4 after they play Stone Free, Jimi says "Songs for groovy children" around the 13' mark. Everybody here has probably heard all these concerts many many times, but I haven't so I thought it was cool that they got the title from this little remark! LoL

23. monkboughtlunch

In the early 1990s it was publicly reported 20 tapes were found.

In 1998, Paul Allen purchased the tapes and his museum put out a press release stating they acquired 19 tapes.

Foxy Lady as released on the 2nd set of the new Groovy Children box has radically different mix pan placements and is incomplete, raising the possibility that multitrack coverage for this song may not exist and derives from a vintage mix or live stereo reference mix.

There are several performed songs missing from the Groovy box. This is not addressed in the liner notes, despite the EH press release implying the box is complete.

One song was aborted (understandably not included), but others missing were performed complete and others may not have been recorded at all (we don’t know for sure). EH is mum, leaving fans to speculate about the missing songs in the face of non-transparency.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    Fox67 and Mullin like this.
  24. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Which is really unnecessary. It isn’t some big secret. Just let the public know what tapes exist, what tapes don’t exist, what was recorded, what wasn’t recorded. It can be covered it just a few sentences.

Lost In The Flood, ARK, Fox67 and 7 others like this.
  25. monkboughtlunch

well said!

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.