Jimi Hendrix - The All-Encompassing Live Shows Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by EVOLVIST, Nov 27, 2018.

1. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Kid A Thread Starter

Historic Performances Recorded at the Monterey International Pop Festival. That long ass album title :laugh:, with Hendrix on one side and Otis Redding on the other.

2. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

I’m looking at my EH Monterey and the one from the Rhino box and they both come in around 46 minutes. I thought the Reprise came in around 46 as well, I remember seeing the time on the CD and figuring what I needed to cut to get it onto a 45 min tape side.

3. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Maybe call it Jimi/Otis since there’s another guy with the name Redding that Jimi had a little involvement with. :)

4. Reddington

Reddington Forum Resident

Not a specific show, but The Jimi Hendrix Concerts is easily my favourite live recording - and has been since the original vinyl release in'82. Also a huge fan of the Band of Gypsys - especially Machine Gun, which is perhaps the highlight of a career full of virtuoso electric guitar performances.

5. kees1954

kees1954 Forum Resident

I was totally mesmerized when I heard Like A Rolling Stone in 1971 blasting out of a window on the university campus where I lived

6. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

I think it was the same for me when I heard Can You See Me from this album. This was the first live Jimi I ever heard and I was just stunned/mesmerized at how great it sounded

7. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I was thinking about Noel today. And Mitch. While listening to the first disc of the purple box. I think Noel gets the short end of the stick a lot of the time, seemingly just because of his slightly miserable demeanour and that he wasn't Jack Bruce. But his playing, just as Mitch's, was a very vital part of The Jimi Hendrix Experience and all three created that unique sound. Musically he was perfect in that context.
    Also I think he was a good influence because he was a "no" man, but Jimi always fled from confrontation, so that was that.

8. EVOLVIST

Great post!

Noel thought that he was more creative than he actually was. Nevertheless, Jimi needed Noel, and Chas, as well, as a means of checks and balances, because lord knows that neither gentleman stifled Jimi's creativity. Indeed, a case can be made that Hendrix's music suffered somewhat from their absence. Jimi was still great with their departure, yet he was missing that. little. push. to get him over the edge and focused.

Not to denigrate Billy Cox, but he was a "Yes Man," and Jimi loved the comfort of having Billy there as a bridge from the past to the future. Only the future wasn't quite as clear without the anchors that kept Jimi moored to the shore. "Drifting" was the name of a song. By the time Jimi died, he didn't even have Billy Cox.

9. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Oh of course, THAT Redding!
    Yes I had that vinyl once, great sound but not the best track selection for Jimi's side!

Tim Bucknall and EVOLVIST like this.
  10. All Down The Line

While Jimi may have cold shouldered Noel and (with Mitch) skipped flights with him it is said that when the chips were down it was Noel's opinion he would listen to, if so that was a good influence!

kees1954 and DTK like this.
  11. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Jimi was better with Noel. Noel was a guitarist by trade, and played his bass more like rhythm guitar, keeping time, which allowed Mitch, and, Jimi to go into outer space.

Nothing against Cox. I like his playing, and his tone. But he was more of a background sort of player. He did work well with Buddy's fat back style of playing.

12. All Down The Line

Good perception here.
    Jimi said he needed to find a new bass player during his final Sept 70 interview after Cox was sent home apparently befuddled with drug paranoia.

Tim Bucknall, DTK and EVOLVIST like this.
  13. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

I agree. Just listen to the bass on the mono mix of Little Miss Lover on the AXIS SACD. Best tone I've ever heard him have. I wonder what kind of amp he's playing.

Tim Bucknall, kees1954 and DTK like this.
  14. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

I would just say this about Jimi's drug use. How many hours of tape are there with some of the most awesome guitar playing did he leave behind? These tapes are not the tapes of
    Noel was better bass player for where Jimi was, but Billy was a better bass place for where Jimi wanted to go.

15. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

Im listening to "Concerts" now. I definitely prefer it to in the west. I think EH shouldve re released this instead of West. Its an amazing collection and they could've tidied up the reverb on it.

16. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

Loved Concerts, loved San Diego, Loved BOG, Loved "In the west" BUT when THIS came out it took (takes) the crown! (IMO)

[​IMG]

17. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

18. EVOLVIST

Does this concert have the best live version of "Izabella?" It was never one that Jimi seemed to master in a live setting. Maybe this one is the master. It's pretty damn tight.

19. All Down The Line

Ironically I think Woodstock has the best Izabella.

20. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

If they did the same sort of job on it you would get a completely different album.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  21. Experiencereunited

Yes this is a great one. Particularily the SACD of this one. Top
    Draw release. Loved concerts too. I loved to listen to Stone Free, I Dont Live Today among othersnfrom Concerts in my car whole traveling as well as at home (on my then rudimentary system).

22. All Down The Line

Not sure how black that is though distasteful.
    There was a video clip which featured Hendrix coming out of an upright coffin to play some wild guitar before returning to it.
    I can'tell recall the band that committed that atrocity though.
    Nb. My Bad!
    I deleted previous posters quote with the Cheech & Chong clip I was responding to.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    Tim Bucknall likes this.
  23. All Down The Line

Re: Monterey, was the West German 847 244-2 (In my case from the 1991 Footlights Box) just copied from the 827 990-1 disc as it also has a P 1986 printed on the disc?
    My copy sounds OK but iam certain it has been improved but short of SACD which regular CD should I seek out?

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  24. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

He's playing 8-string bass on that as well.

25. Experiencereunited