Jimi Hendrix - The All-Encompassing Live Shows Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by EVOLVIST, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

Are u sure 2004 EH CD isnt complete with all the chat? What is missing from it?

DTK likes this.
  2. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Kid A Thread Starter

Then theee is the Dick Cavett show performance. That one might have the best solos.

All Down The Line and DTK like this.
  3. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Hagstrom, yes I remember Noel saying this in a 90's music magazine.

Tim Bucknall and DTK like this.
  4. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Correct. Noel also tried to play it live, but it didn't work in that situation.
    I think Noel and Jimi both got Hagström 8-strings in summer of 1967. Jimi infamously used his on the July 1967 jam session with Curtis Knight ("No Business" etc.).

5. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

No idea what CD would be the "best" listen, sorry.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  6. Gordon Johnson

No idea, I don't think I bothered to pick a copy up.

Anyone sat with the vinyl and CD issues of the complete shows along with this 2004EH issue?

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  7. Gordon Johnson

I do have the 2007 EH Monterey CD though! Is this the one you refer to?

[All of the following is from memory, there is an article regard all of this in Jimpress, #104].
    While it has slightly different content to the vinyl it still remains "incomplete", as I said earlier, I am unaware of a CD [official as I didn't consider boots or collectors sets here] that has all of the chat.
    With Polydor being the longest running of all of the CD issues, that one is also "incomplete".

Just something else I noted. The 2007 and 2014 issues from EH are the same mix but the mastering has moved Noels backing vocal.

also, I noted that the Rhino CD has tracks running faster and slower against the Polydor CD.

The Polydor has all three varying levels of Jones intro', including [through the PA?] comment "I wish they were all here but they wouldn't let us bring him with us".

Much more detail in the Jimpress article :)

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  8. Experiencereunited

I have compared the 2004 CD to the 2014/2016 vinyl and the 2004 CD has additional chat compared to that vinyl. Specifically the 2004 CD has more chat prior to Can You See Me and a longer introduction at the beginning. Other than the 2004 additional chat and the Purple Haze Issue on the 2014/2106 vinyl (Purple Haze issue is not on the 2004 CD btw) they are the same.

Discogs states the non numbered vinyl was issued or reissued should I say in 2K16 even though it retains the 2014 copyright. Therefore I believe both the non numbered and numbered vinyl with the 2014 copyright are most likely the same. Not 100% sure as I have never heard a numbered copy.

kees1954 likes this.
  9. Gordon Johnson

Yes, most of the CD's do contain more chat but again, the Polydor has the most complete chat of all and again, that is incomplete as to all the chat that has been released.

Can you confirm that you have an EH Monterey CD from 2004 as mine is listed as 2007. This call of a 2004 had me confused and would dearly like to know if I missed an issue, thanks. I don't mean Discogs listing either! Just check the rear of the CD case, thanks.

In 2007 EH issued this performance on both CD and vinyl. And yes, the error edit with Purple Haze is solely found on the 2014 Bernie Grundman mastered vinyl. If it had been on anything earlier it would have been spotted and highlighted.

the Jimpress article also gives the full between chat for the vinyl issues if I recall.

Discogs is not a point of reliable reference, sorry to upset some of you. The Monterey set was issued [numbered] in 2014. It is at this point of issue that this got reviewed. I know later none numbered pressing came out but as it is the same pressing [until someone here sits with it and says otherwise] and retains the same copyright date I don't think calling it a 2016 pressing helps as there is no change to the release. Unlike say, Newbury were we saw a reissue that was different and still carried the 2010 date of issue despite being issued five years later.

Tim Bucknall and kees1954 like this.
  10. Experiencereunited

Hmmm never heard the 2K7 Cd but I have no intent to
    Pick it up either. The 2014 CD also most definately has more chat than the Polydor CD that I have (1st West German pressing)). The 2014 has a runninf time of 43:18 verse thw WG Polydor of

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    Tim Bucknall likes this.
  11. Experiencereunited

God my eyes are horrible now. The 2004 CD I have is actually 2014 and that is from the back of the CD not Discogs. Interesting that the 2K14 CD would not have the same Purple Haze issue as the 2K14 vinyl.

Agree with you on the Vinyl should stick to a 2K14 not 2K16 reference for non numbered despite Discogs. Too late to edit earlier posts.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  12. Gordon Johnson

I just pulled my CD from EH. 2007 on cover and booklet. I'm confused that we have a earlier issue of this set and will have to look into that. But the running time is 43:14. But my Polydor runs longer than your or my listing for the EHG release, by a long way so it is not simply machine reading times, incorrect pitch differences.

But it is important to simply sit and listen to both disc's. The differences are clear and I know that the most complete in terms of chat on one disc is the Polydor.

As for the vinyl, there was no break in production from the numbered to the unnumbered US sets so I never bothered to grab the latter to check detail. It would be interesting to know if production stopped and a "new" mastering was issued at some point but somehow I'm doubtful of this.

Unfortunately, discgogs has multiple input and that is its downfall. Miss information such as date issued, opinion on rarity because of say stamper marks [all because the poster didn't check detail and wants more for his piece of plastic in the used market] all go to make the information a little bit more than inaccurate.

kees1954 likes this.
  13. Gordon Johnson

The 2014 EH Monterey is a clone of the 2007, simply repackaged.

The US Vinyl with the PH issue is / was a fresh vinyl mastering from BG. That he didn't do the CD is telling.

kees1954 likes this.
  14. Gordon Johnson

I think you have really nice eye's, lol

I know what you mean, I have to use reading glasses these days for fine print and always use a magnifying lass or jewellers loop to inspect dead wax detail.

The joys of old age …………………………….. so many have this still to come :)

15. All Down The Line

I think iam catching up fast!

16. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

The problem with doing it back in 2011 is Stone Free and Bleeding Heart would have been replaced, opening up a new can of worms, and there would have been a lot of duplication with the Winterland material that came out at the same time. I wouldn’t mind a rerelease but only after the whole RAH thing is settled.

Tim Bucknall, kees1954 and DTK like this.
  17. John Harchar

We don’t have many choices do we? :). Each one is completely different. Woodstock is the expansive one, Dick Cavett is the medley with Machine Gun but starting to get stripped down, and the BoG one is the ‘single’ version. I wonder why a lot of the BoG era material just got left behind and rarely revived in 1970.

Tim Bucknall and EVOLVIST like this.
  18. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Maybe Mitch's drumming style just dictated Jimi had to drop some of the BOG tunes live. Like Power of Soul, didn't really work with Mitch judging by the 2 aborted live takes we have.

19. John Harchar

Could be part of it. Funny thing is Izabella (as did Message of Love) started with Mitch and Earth Blues got a Mitch version that generally works, whether you like Mitch or Buddy’s version is up to each listener. Things like Power of Soul or Burning Desire...yeah, not Mitch’s thing.

Tim Bucknall and kees1954 like this.
  20. All Down The Line

I really like Mitch but much prefer Buddy's original drums on Stepping Stone and have always believed they should have been left that way!

21. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Kid A Thread Starter

Yeah, listening to the live versions of "Izabella," I take back what I said earlier; they are all pretty good; one could point to any true live version and make a claim that it's the best.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  22. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I think Buddy gave a few songs like Message of Love and Earth Blues and Izabella a funk-soul thump that was very attractive, and Mitch couldn't pull that off. On the other hand Buddy couldn't follow and improvise with Jimi the way Mitch could. But we've been through that discussion many times :).

23. John Harchar

I like the drums on the Both Sides version, it’s the only one that doesn’t sound like it’s trying to keep up! :)

24. Experiencereunited

Which Polydor are u referring to as rhe longest? There were 2 Polydor W German releases plus the Japnese. You must not be referring to the first W. German release as that is most definatly shorter than the 2014 not longer.

25. Gordon Johnson

Polydor 847 244-2 West Germany