Jimi Hendrix - The All-Encompassing Live Shows Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by EVOLVIST, Nov 27, 2018.

1. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Kid A Thread Starter

Dude, be my guest. This thread belongs to Hendrix fans. I'm just the person who started it.

The only rule I asked for was to not discuss where and how to purchase boots. The recordings discussed here are not bought nor sold, other than what's released by EH.

I wish more people would contribute. :)

Although I'll end up reviewing every show, myself, I think it's great to contrast and compare other people's takes on shows and performances. I don't want to corner the market. Still waiting on Arhaus from @Jimi Bat. :agree:

Former Lee Warmer likes this.
  2. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

Sorry, I've been a bit distracted.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  3. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Not so. An old discounted theory. He wouldn't have survived the night even if he hadn't vomited, and there wasn't much wine 8m him. Anyway back to the music....

Purple Jim likes this.
  4. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

When Monika later met Kathy, Mitch and Noel, she told them that she gave Jimi tablets and when they didn't seem to work, she gave him some more, because "they were very weak"*. Wrong! They were as strong as hell. Manslaughter or Death by misadventure.

* From Kathy Etchinghams book "Through Gypsy Eyes"

DTK likes this.
  5. Sharp 1080

Sharp 1080 Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to start a how he died thread, but started to think after reading about that incident with Carmen Borrero could it be possible Jimi had "sleep apnea"? The fact Carmen had to open his airway is a hint. In the 1960-70's they had no idea what sleep apnea was. This is a deadly condition, and when combined with unconsciousness from too many sleeping pills, and vomiting is a definite scenario to think about.

6. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

Great point.

7. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yes, that's a theory that's gone around a bit. Jimi's mid 60s girlfriend Fayne Pridgeon has also mentioned similar episodes.

8. EVOLVIST

Yeah, it's all good to a certain extent. I mean, every Jimi Hendrix thread I've ever been a part of has digressed a little, so it's somewhat expected.

After all, Jimi, himself, was a chronic digressor.

Really everyone's done a great job of staying on topic. :)

Sharp 1080 and DTK like this.
  9. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Thanks for including the list of all reviewed shows, things have been very hectic over the last six months, I'm hoping over the summer I can go back and have a listen to a lot of the shows I hadn't heard yet. Make sure I read every review though! :righton:

EVOLVIST likes this.
  10. EVOLVIST

A bad "Red House?"

All Down The Line likes this.
  11. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

What show is this?

12. EVOLVIST

Madison Square Garden 05-18-1969

13. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

The intro is decent. Around the 90 second mark things go sideways. There's some decent playing during the vocals as well.

After the tape cut.... o_O

I usually like Jimi's "freak out" moments. That is just painful to make it through.

Yeah. The song never really comes together. The crowd seemed to enjoy it. Definitely one of those "you had to be there" moments. 4/10 for the "decent" parts.

I'm partial to that concert. May 18 is my birthday. It is amazing how uneven Jimi's concerts can be. The Experience played a killer version of "Come On" right before "Red House."

All Down The Line, SG47 and EVOLVIST like this.
  14. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

They were on a revolving stage and the sound was awful, in addition to audience chaos. May explain part of it...

15. Sharp 1080

Sharp 1080 Well-Known Member

Okay fellow Jimi lovers. What concert is the "Gimme an A" recording from? Is it Sweden or Stockholm? I was listening to some of it last night on YouTube and the Experience are actually all playing well. The opening number of "Tax Free" is the best live version I've heard.

16. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Sleep apnea, by itself isn’t deadly, but it can lead to long term issues if not treated properly.

17. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Stockholm is in Sweden :)

One Stockholm show is really good, and the other is so-so :)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    Sharp 1080 likes this.
  18. EVOLVIST

You know, honestly I'm not being an apologist, as I've written some rather scathing things about some performances here, yet there are so many factors that went into those performances that were "uneven." Even the "even ones."

There are jam bands, and then there are super jam bands, like the JHE.

Most jam bands at least stick to a rough structure, like let's say The Allman Brothers band, and there is the JHE, who yes, had a rough structure, but also they would create on the spot, coloring way outside of the lines. This also makes a Hendrix show so endearing. It's one of the things that makes us marvel at Jimi when he's on fire. So, really, we have to take the good with the bad. Sometimes it just didn't land.

These were very young men, making it up as they went along, with rudimentary stage setups, weird schedules, and partying along the way. Jimi didn't even have a real guitar tech. You had dudes scrambling around backstage during a show, replacing blown tubes in amps.

I know you're not dogging Hendrix. You're right; there is a lot that's uneven. I'm just considering my own outlook when I review a show. But you know, in almost every case I've found one gem that surprised me, even if the show wasn't going all that well. To me, that makes it worth it.

19. All Down The Line

They say that about Creams Nov 68' MSG recording so likely the yet to come Blind Faith one also.
    Thank the Lord by Nov the Ya Ya's recording was not on a central revolving stage.

DTK likes this.
  20. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

London, RAH.

Sharp 1080, All Down The Line and DTK like this.
  21. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yeah, it's the board tape of the first show from February 18 that surfaced a few years ago. It's so weird with vinyl boots making a resurgence. Guess someone must want them even though the material is available for free online...

Purple Jim and Gordon Johnson like this.
  22. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Is it?

I thought it was a merge but my memory is maybe off!

23. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I'm not sure, except it ain't the horrible old audience recording.

24. All Down The Line

They are making a resurgence?
    I never stopped buying them (Vinyl & CD), this forum has suprised me as I found iam often not doing what most folks are with their collecting or more specifically iam still doing it and most gave it away.

DTK likes this.
  25. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Vinyl boots weren't that common in the 90s and the decade after. Lots of CD boots. Now there's not that much CD boots but more and more LPs. That's what I was getting at. Of course it follows the resurgence of vinyl in the last 10 years.