Jimmy Eat World... better than you think...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by markl, Jan 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markl

markl Senior Member Thread Starter

OK, yeah they have the WORST NAME IN THE WORLD, and are an "emo" band, and what could be worse than being sucked in to that sub-genre vortex of pathetic pop music? I own nothing from this genre, and I HATE that Dashboard Confessional guy FWIW, and agree the whole idea of the whole "emo" scene leaves a lot to be desired... But I still love these guys. The good news is that they have been successful enough to be dis-owned by the "emo" crowd, as obviously not "emo" enough, which you and I should take as what it is-- a compliment.

But it's not their fault they've been classified in that group. Really. They are soooo much better than their compatriots in that category of new rock music. They had a number of regional hits off their 2001 self-titled album, that was hurriedly re-released when the original title, "Bleed American" rubbed people the wrong way in 9-11's wake... If you lived in the Bay Area of CA during this time, you were bombarded by singles off their self-titled release on all rock radio stations. And you liked them, and didn't switch stations when they came on; it's hard to resist these sugar-coated pop confections, they're sort of like 3-minute self-help anthems.

I've got their 2001 self-titled album, and just picked up 2004's "Futures", the follow-up, and am pleasantly surprised by their consistency. This is a really talented group with great songs, well-produced. Proof positive that all new rock does not have to suck. Check them out!

:righton:

2. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Someone made me a compilation and one of their songs was on it. It was bloody good - but I don't know which song it was. I should give them a decent listen.

3. Kevin Sypolt

Kevin Sypolt Senior Member

It was likely the song: "The Middle" which has been their biggest hit to date. Excellent song. I too like JEW (hmmm, I never put this three letter acronym (TLA) together before). Interesting... :wave:

4. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

They're not better thank I think..coz I think theyre awesome!!!!!! Futures is one of the best rock albums of 2004 easily!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.