Jimmy Page says previously unheard Led Zeppelin music will be released for band's 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uncle

uncle Senior Member

Were any of the 80 shows multi-tracked. I would love an 80 show in awesome qualitly. The existing boards aren't that great. I know these shows do not have the same fire as the earlier stuff, but I like the more polished workmanlike performances sometimes. Plus I like the setlists.

RangerXT likes this.
  2. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

Maybe it's late 1975. One of the west coast shows. Those were all pretty good shows for the most part and show Zep in full hammer of the gods flight.

3. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

None of the 1980 concerts were multitracked.Only the soundboards are known to exist.

RangerXT and uncle like this.
  4. uncle

uncle Senior Member

Well that is quite the bummer. :realmad:

RangerXT and steveharris like this.
  5. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

I'd love to get a nice vinyl set of the live material from the Zeppelin DVD set - that stuff was way better than the How the West Was Won CD.

6. gohill

gohill Senior Member

I have a couple of the 80 Over Europe shows on tape and polished is most definitely not the word that springs to mind! JP sounds like he is wearing boxing gloves.

Rockin' Robby and ohnothimagen like this.
  7. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

And here we completely disagree. The HTWWW material was the highlight of both releases for me. Even though I ripped all the audio off the DVD, I still played HTWWW countless more times and still do. But I've gotten tired of the later years of Zeppelin - especially live.

8. Adam Ryan Watson.

Adam Ryan Watson. Well-Known Member

Page said in an interview that the live multitrack release will be different from anything else they have released and said it will be a different view from the hwww or song remains the same . I hope in wrong bit that kinda sounds like Southampton you know different view very small venue . I don't think live in Japan could count ad much different from the other live albums unless it's a 1968 show. But maybe a chronological live release would be a different view but he talks about the release as if it's a single multitrack performance . Does anyone think he would really just give us Southampton for the 50th release . He did talk about a january 1973 dazed and confused

RangerXT likes this.
  9. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

Yeah, none of them were recorded. You have to remember the band looked at the 1980 European tour as a warmup to get the band back on the road and get back into touring shape. They would probably have recorded something on the North American tour in the fall or early 1981. Similar to the 1977 tour. They most likely would have recorded the end of the tour like Philadelphia JFK Stadium but the final shows were canceled, so no recordings were made.

RangerXT likes this.
  10. Adam Ryan Watson.

Consensus is there are no multitracks from the u s 75 shows.

RangerXT likes this.
  11. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

Yes, he did talk about he was listening to a Jan 1973 Dazed, but based on what I have heard there is a possibility to truly be a 1968 show.

RangerXT likes this.
  12. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

Correct. If anything, there will be an Earls Court compilation but I don't this is the time for that.

RangerXT likes this.
  13. Adam Ryan Watson.

True but I bet it cost page a pretty penny to be free of her .

14. Adam Ryan Watson.

I would love that plants voice was insane in 68 and if they are tackling the copywrite issue that would make sense and the show would be 50 years old obviously he could do the japan release in 2021 when the copyright is going to expire. Bring on the 1970 ausgust and September soundboards.

Rockin' Robby, jay.dee and RangerXT like this.
  15. Adam Ryan Watson.

This is a long shot bit something different from the previous live albums could be something from the 71 back to the club's tour although there is no evidence that they multitracked any of those show other then a comment page supposedly made in the 70 s . None of the photos show extra mics so it's doubtful . Maybe we will get boards from that tour in a few years .

16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I’m the opposite. Never quite got the supposed awesomeness of HTWWW. Maybe I just couldn’t get past the crappy sound (but then again the DVD stuff got killed too).

RangerXT and sunking101 like this.
  17. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

I'd go so far as to say that I dislike it. Rough and ready performances, naff sound and nowhere near the splendour of The Song Remains The Same. That expanded set will totally do me for Zep live performances.

ohnothimagen, Jerry c. and RangerXT like this.
  18. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

When Jimmy said in back in the 70's that he had some shows from clubs, that could also technically mean 1968 though it's hard to justify recording a brand new band like that. The dream is getting a completely unheard show that has never been booted from a multitrack. But going by other bands with 50 year copyright extensions, this is totally new territory for Zeppelin and their fans who do not have any experience with bands or artists that have been doing the 50 year thing.

RangerXT likes this.
  19. Adam Ryan Watson.

RangerXT likes this.
  20. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

Well to each his own. After collecting hundreds of Zeppelin shows for decades if I had to choose one show to be a live album I'd probably say the LA 1972 show. I didn't know it was recorded (plus Long Beach) so having HTWWW be released was a dream come true. Yes, I do prefer some things on TSRTS that were played at both (Dazed, The Ocean, SIBLY) but I still love the 1972 (North) American tour. My only real gripe were the songs cut from it without explanation (Communication Breakdown, Tangerine, Louie Louie/Organ Solo/Thank You, Heartbreak Hotel, Slow Down) and I would have liked that LA drone to be longer. Personally I don't care if no one likes HTWWW - for me it's pretty much what I always hoped for. I love Page's tone on that too - so much better than that midrange buzzsaw on Royal Albert Hall 1970.

21. Adam Ryan Watson.

Yeah they played a lot of club shows in 68 so it is quite possible . Page and grant were keeping the band afloat out their own pockets so the question would they have forked out the money for a multitrack . I sure hope so.

Rockin' Robby and RangerXT like this.
  22. Adam Ryan Watson.

RangerXT likes this.
  23. Adam Ryan Watson.

Royal Albert hall is not a proper representation of pages 1970 t9ne though it's an amazing performance it's the only night in 1970 his tone actually sounds like that the added distortion is because the guitar was recorded hot

RangerXT likes this.
  24. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

Adam you seem to be having a lot of trouble with the quote / insert quote feature.

25. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

Actually it is on par with what he was sounding like in late 1969 and early 1970. He totally changed his sound in the summer by Iceland and Bath.

RangerXT likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.