Jimmy Page says previously unheard Led Zeppelin music will be released for band's 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

I just hope Jimmy can realize that what's released doesn't have to be sonically or technically perfect ... at least imo. That could mean a lot more releases, studio and live.

2. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

It's ironic because for years, even into the 1990s, Jimmy was always talking about how the unpredictability and warts-and-all approach of live Zeppelin was what made it so great, yet every live release has been butchered beyond belief to make them "perfect." :shrug:

3. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

They've already released a 1972 and 1973 show. Why would you think Southhampton 1973?

4. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

It was prepped for release around the time of HTWWW but they opted to go with the '72 shows instead.

RangerXT likes this.
  5. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

That explains why but, it doesn't make sense to me.

RangerXT and DrBeatle like this.
  6. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

With that logic since they've already released the RAH '70 and BBC '71 shows then why release Bath '70 and Japan '71?

7. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Though it probably won't happen, I'd love to see a live archive series campaign of complete shows, selected, of course, from various points. For example, Earl's Court in '75, Knebworth '79 or Cleveland '77 would be nice. I've heard the boots and what's there isn't bad at all, but it seems that Jimmy has a different point of view in terms of live recordings. Granted, the deluxe edition of the debut features a show from Paris, and I think there should be more incentive to feature things of this nature; albeit with minimum polishing.

I did purchase 4 of the deluxe editions made available in 2014, all within the CD formats, and while it's nice to have updated versions with bonus tracks, (some worthwhile, others indifferent), in general I think if Jimmy wants to continue to milk the cow, he's got to really offer something special and unique for the fans, hence the live archive series idea. Outside of the "bonus songs" feature from the reissued catalog, how many more times will there be remastered versions of the same material going the rounds? On one hand, it's a worthwhile tactic for perhaps newer fans, but for the older fans, it just seems to be rather redundant and dubious. Just my opinion.

jay.dee and Shak Cohen like this.
  8. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

I like all periods but would like more concerts of the latter period, for starters PG and Presence are great albums and would like to hear what JP can do with the audio

9. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Good point, 1975-1980 then........

10. Moe Schmo

Moe Schmo Forum Resident

Simply because they are known to have multi track recordings of it and there probably isn’t much else.

I personally hope it’s not Southampton or if it is that it’s part of a wider suite of releases. But there probably isn’t much else to choose from.

11. appledan

appledan Resident Rockist

So that's how he got the nickname 'Ol' Led Wallet' ;)

RangerXT, Sean and mick_sh like this.
  12. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I dont think the Southampton show will ever be officially released, Robert's voice was trashed that night because he was sick so that would take a hell of an editing job knowing how Jimmy works - think about how much editing went into HTWWW and that was Robert at a very high level vocally! Plus TSRTT already covers the 1973 period overall, there is a lot of overlap

Personally I would bank on Earls Court because knowing Jimmy, that is multiple nights at the same place to pull from to put together an edit

BDC, RangerXT, DrBeatle and 3 others like this.
  13. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

I noticed that too - piano is very prominent on that track.

RangerXT and If I Can Dream_23 like this.
  14. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

15. Led Head

Led Head Forum Resident

Japan 1971 PLEASE!

The Ole' Rocker, BDC, jay.dee and 8 others like this.
  16. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I hope it is live stuff. I haven't heard any of the booted stuff so it will all be new to me. While I liked the remastering job the studio albums received I don't think I have listened the studio outtakes more than once.

RangerXT likes this.
  17. The Doctor

The Doctor Forum Resident

Is there any high quality (band made) recordings from the 1980 tour that are known?

RangerXT and Crimson Witch like this.
  18. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

While they are at it if John Davis were to remaster HTWWW and add a companion disc with the remaining songs from each show I would definitely re-buy it.

19. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Jimmy says he wants to "be seen as playing" soon, so... Yeah. :rolleyes:

20. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

Soundboards of pretty much all the 1980 shows are out there in bootlegland.

Crimson Witch and ohnothimagen like this.
  21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

22. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I'm hoping you're right. Between all the bootlegs and what's been released officially, how much more interesting can the live performances get? I'm all for alternate studio takes or unreleased material that was worked on in the studio but never got completed or saw the light of day....etc., etc...

petem1966 and Shawn like this.
  23. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

I saw them at the Forum in LA in '75 and IMO they were in full flight. Was on cloud nine for days afterwards with "In My Time of Dying" echoing in my head. JP was on fire :)

RangerXT, Sean, Dark Horse 77 and 3 others like this.
  24. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Some of Southampton is good, particularly “The Rain Song,” so it would be nice to get some of the Southampton tracks officially released. But, as a whole, it cannot be officially released because of the unevenness of the concert.

With all of the known Zeppelin concert reels and JP’s reluctance to release complete concerts, perhaps it makes sense to finally release a chronological retrospective box set of live performances so that a wide range of highlights can be issued at one time and in one place.

25. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

It occurs to me that this might be more procrastination on JP's part to avoid finishing his long awaited new album and going on tour. Maybe he hasn't found a singer yet? Just speculating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.