Jimmy Page says previously unheard Led Zeppelin music will be released for band's 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

There's several quality live concerts of The Firm available for free. If you don't know.

johnny q likes this.
  2. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

This is a Zeppelin thread.

O Don Piano, Giorgio and Mark J like this.
  3. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Sorry, I was gong between both threads:)

4. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

We will in time, no doubt. It will be a lot of disappointment about the brickwall mastering, chopping out of all Plant' s banter, butchering of WLL medley... anything I missed?

footlooseman and penguinzzz like this.
  5. Jerry c.

Jerry c. Forum Resident

That about covers it. No doubt we’re missing something though

6. Efus

Efus Senior Member

I just want to get ahead of the curve here, and get this on record....

I'm disappointed in whatever is going to be released, and Page should really hand this over to someone else,
    so we can be disappointed in future Led Zeppelin releases at a faster rate than is currently happening at the moment.
    Thank you.

7. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

JPJ mixed too low?

MusicNBeer likes this.
  8. whodanny

whodanny The Who ! THAT'S WHO !!

The start of Jimmy's solo in No Quarter.

fr in sc, footlooseman and MusicNBeer like this.
  9. Bonzoghost

Bonzoghost Forum Resident

I met Dick Carruthers once and asked him if, when working on the 2003 DVD, he saw any Bath 1970 footage..... His answer was ' no'

PacificOceanBlue and tmtomh like this.
  10. june72

june72 Well-Known Member

A possible theory is that the 50th anniversary of Zeppelin just began in September this year. So really we have almost a whole year starting at that point to celebrate the 50th.

I still believe something very good is going to come out. If not this year, then around March 2019. Just a guess.

11. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

12. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

My understanding is that at the time the plagiarism lawsuits were flying in full force and Grant felt it might be better to sell out and let Atlantic worry about fighting the liability rather than Plant, Page et.al, getting exposed to possible financial and career ruin

13. thenobs70

thenobs70 Forum Resident

Jason Bonham: Robert Plant Says He Loved John Bonham 'Way Too Much' to Ever Fully Reunite Led Zeppelin Without Him

14. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

What an absolute load of crap.

Without a quote from Grant, Page, Curbishley, Plant, or some Atlantic lawyer or exec to substantiate your statement, I'll just file this under Typical Hoffman Zep Bashing.

Roberto899, O Don Piano, Sean and 3 others like this.
  15. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

I would also like to get ahead of the curve and bemoan the absence of tracks on this release that feature LZ jamming with the Beatles with Plant on the harp and Yoko screeching in her inimitable "style". Obviously these are being held back for Zep's 60th anny.

17. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Bumping this thread is just mean. :laugh:

Clucking, superstar19, Mark J and 2 others like this.
  18. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

I want my live album NOW! :wantsome:

footlooseman, Mark J, Marty T and 2 others like this.
  19. Jerry c.

Jerry c. Forum Resident

You’ll get nothing and like it

20. All manner of nothing he can muster up, in fact.

Larry C. McGinnis III likes this.
  21. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Time is a-fleeting, James! 2019 is at the door!

22. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Talk is cheap so is this virtual Zep 50th extravaganza so far!

23. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

That's the first I heard of that. But they're still the songwriters so they would've be pulled into any lawsuit regardless. In any case, it would be one hell of a stupid idea to sell off everything for a couple of lawsuits.

24. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The revival of this thread is another sad reminder of how nothing materialized in 2018. All of the exciting speculation culminating in reissues of How The West Was Won, The Song Remains The Same, a RSD single, and a couple of homemade playlists. Perhaps the most disappointing 50th anniversary ever for such a major band.

25. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

PG was not healthy during the 1980's when he made that decision, that is about all one can say, because up to that point, he had not been incompetent. He did a tremendous job managing the band throughout 1968-1980, and put into place very lucrative revenue streams, some methods which are still utilized to this very day by managers across the industry. Yet, during the first half of the 1980's, he allegedly ran Swan Song into the ground and had the band sell off its record royalty and publishing assets.

Whether it was sound advice or not, that is one of the theories that has surfaced (perhaps in the new PG biography?) -- that he had the band sell off its publishing so that Atlantic would have to bear the brunt of the lawsuits (and for all we know, he had Atlantic indemnify the band so that if they were brought into a suit, Atlantic would pay the legal fees). It was a short-term solution, and short-term infusion of cash (that he equally shared in). It still seems like a very strange deal to make because he knew better. Now, allegedly he negotiated away Plants' Zeppelin album royalties circa 1981 when he set up Plant's solo deal with Atlantic, so it is unclear if he sold off the rest of the band's album royalties at the same time, or if that happened a few years later (again, the timeline could be in the new book).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.