Joan Baez, Diamonds and Rust - what a beautiful song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Slubberdegullion, Nov 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keyse1

keyse1 Forum Resident

2 likes for that

2. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Bought this album in a charity shop knowing only the name of the artist. On first play I thought the title track extraordinary - I still do.

Jarleboy likes this.
  3. Slubberdegullion

Slubberdegullion Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yup.

4. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Jarleboy, Roberto899 and Pouchkine like this.
  5. You took the words right out of my mouth; nicely put

keyse1 and Jarleboy like this.
  6. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

When I refer to her persona, I am basing that on her performances on the Rolling Thunder Revue and her tendency to be very talkative and very much playing the entertainer. She would do her various imitations - Charo, Edith Ann, Edith Bunker - and, for me, it's a little overbearing. I am not really referring to her political activism mainly because she wasn't very political with what she said on that tour. She played some songs with political overtones but she was more likely to play "Please Come To Boston" or "Dancing In The Streets".

Jarleboy likes this.
  7. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

OI love it that JB sings '30 years ago, I bought you some cufflinks' on a later live recording. I guess now it has to be '40 years ago .etc.'

Jarleboy likes this.
  8. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

I first heard the song @ a hifi demo room.

Randoms likes this.
  9. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Me too, a customer bought it in. I loved it, I bought it, and used it in a lot of dems.

It's one of those albums, that sound impressive, on almost any system.

Jarleboy and Alan2 like this.
  10. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

it is a phenomenon when a song leaps out of a catalog seemingly so perfect that you wonder why don't all her/his songs have that depth and melodic magic.
    but that is what makes music so intoxicating. each time you put the needle or beam down for the first time on a new release there is that chance that a song like that will come out of the speakers and mesmerize you instantly. that's why i still buy and ferret out new releases.
    this song was one of the most magical in my long memory.

11. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

It is a fantastic song. To be heard alongside Winds of the Old Days.

The song also changed as Baez's feelings changed over the years. The nostalgia wore off and she changed the lyric in performance to something like, "so if you're offering me diamonds and rust, I'll take the diamonds." Which spoils the song in some ways, but I respect her for it too.

Tim

Jarleboy likes this.
  12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

it has an airy feel like no other...beautiful melody.

Jarleboy and bataclan2002 like this.
  13. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I had a high school girlfriend with a very protective uncle who happened to be a huge Joan Baez fan. I gained his favor by saying I liked 'Diamond and Rust.' I just didn't tell him it was the Judas Priest version...

keyse1, Jarleboy, Ulli and 1 other person like this.
  14. Pouchkine

Pouchkine Forum Resident

I love both the original Joan Baez version and the Judas Priest version they are perfect, and the Priest version also retains the spirit of the original.

15. Slubberdegullion

Slubberdegullion Forum Resident Thread Starter

How does her voice hold up these days? I'm pretty sensitive to familiar voices degrading with age. Not many artists manage to turn an obviously limited voice range into an asset.

Jarleboy likes this.
  16. scousette

scousette Forum Resident

This is her 75th birthday celebration from 2016. She sounds magnificent.

Alan2 and Jarleboy like this.
  17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

No, not just you ...

18. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

Love this song. I really don’t know lots about JB but her voice is one of a kind.
    I’m going to buy the Diamonds and Rust album now.

Jarleboy likes this.
  19. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Here Rob Halford is quoted as saying: "We were actually making the backend of the 'Sin After Sin' sessions when it was suggested to us that we cover this track."

Then what is the origin of the version on the Gull Best Of album? I thought that would have been recored earlier than the Sin After Sin version (an outake from Sad Wings of Destiny)? If not, how did it end up on the Gull album?

A bit disappointing to learn that it wasn't the band's own idea to cover the song.

Sorry if I'm leading the thread astray... :oops:

Edit: I see that on Wikipedia it says: "During the Sad Wings sessions, [David] Howells [of Gull records] encouraged the band to work on a heavy metal cover of "Diamonds & Rust" by folk singer Joan Baez, but it did not appear on the album." So I guess Rob mixed things up.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  20. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

A truly beautiful song. I heard it for the first time a week ago. Simply put, a masterpiece. Haunting, nostalgic, melancholic. So many feelings conveyed in 4:46 minutes. I was about to start a thread just to appreciate this song.

The lyrics, her voice, the atmosphere- indescribable, takes your breath away.

dzjc, lucan_g, Jarleboy and 3 others like this.
  21. Adkchaz

Adkchaz Forum Resident

What’s the story with trying to get cds of her vanguard years work. She had several albums that looked great, but hasn’t there been compilations of those years or anthology compilations? I saw the rarities set and it’s a hundred plus. Is there a problem of ownership of her masters? Bear family had a number of unavailables.

Jarleboy likes this.
  22. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

23. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Umm, I've never heard of this supposed majority opinon... What do you base it on?

24. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Incredible song. I looked up this thread hoping that the Dylan experts here had some inside details about it. I wonder myself about their relationship, how intimate they ever got? Anyway got some lyric changes and a story about Bobby and Joan talking about the song in Wikipedia.

Diamonds & Rust (song) - Wikipedia

Jarleboy likes this.
  25. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I'm sitting here needle-dropping my original A&M album from back in 1975. It's in great shape and is working out nicely. I know that CDs can be had for dirt cheap, but this is a satisfying way to spend time in these strange times. I've always loved the title track, "Diamonds & Rust", and the rest of the album is kind-of neat too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.