Joan Baez: Hated by Dylan fans?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Siegmund, Apr 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic Thread Starter

I’ve noticed a lot of Dylan fans being very vocal about their dislike of Joan’s versions of his songs.

I don’t understand why: she didn’t ‘popify’ them ‘pretty them up’ or render them nonsensical the way that the Hollies (for instance) did.

It’s true that Baez has/had a conventionally beautiful voice (one of the best female voices ever, I’d say, regardless of genre) but Iv’e always found her versions both individual and respectful. Her version of Don’t Think Twice (It’s Alright) cuts very deep and she OWNS Love Is Just A Four Letter Word (partly because Dylan never recorded it - so far as we know).

In fact, I can’t think of a bad version of a Dylan song she’s done. Her version have also put Dylan’s material in from of people (and there are many) who just can’t stand his voice.

2. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

She was the reason Dylan broke up.

3. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I am a big Dylan fan but I certainly don't hate Joan Baez however I am quite indifferent to her. The only album I have in my collection is Diamonds and Rust the MFSL version and if it disappeared I don't think I'd be too concerned.

4. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Joanie is an angel. She's still a fabulous singer.
    I'm guessing she was clingy with Bob, and Bob...well, there were a lot of female fans for Bob at his disposal.

5. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Ive never heard an overwhelming amount of Dylan fans who dislike Joan Baez. In fact, Ive found the opposite to be true. Dylan fans I know see them pretty much hand in hand. Joan Baez will forever be known in Dylan circles as Dylan’s singing partner from the early days and they loved it when she popped from time to time in his concert tours.

As far as her interpretations of Dylan songs I think she is pretty straight forward in her renditions. Pure folk. Her album “Any Day Now” is great. Beautiful singing of well selected Dylan songs.

Now thats given one likes her voice. And I think that is the real divide. Her voice is very pointed and pure with a healthy dose of vibrato in ending phrases. I think for some, this is grating and for others its the most beautiful sound ever.

But, yeah, as far as her reading of Dylan songs Im not sure why there would be a hatred. Shes the pinnacle of female folk singers and doesnt fancy anything up. Sings his songs with great reverence with beautiful flourishes of his melodies that show the songs to be much more melodic and pretty than what we realize.

As a fan of 30 yrs I certainly appreciate her connection and tributes to Dylan’s songs.

6. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

I enjoy the music of both.

Tim

Jimmy B. and Jarleboy like this.
  7. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

The only thing I don't like about her is when she does that strong vibrato thing. Ugh.

8. wondergrape

wondergrape Forum Resident

100%.

I respect the hell out of Joan Baez. But the vibrato is a deal breaker from a listening standpoint.

9. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

I'm afraid I find Joan Baez unlistenable. There is nothing about her voice I like.

10. thepigdog

thepigdog Music and beer

I prefer Joan's versions over Bob's for the most part.

11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Well and thats the thing. If you dont like this..then really you dont like her voice in its prime youth. Shes a soprano with healthy doses of vibrato. She could have been a helluva opera singer. But its definitely not for everyone.

Paully, JoeOnWheels, BDC and 2 others like this.
  12. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

As she came out of the 60s folk era and into the early 70s she used more of her deep voice. And less vibrato was noticed. I like this version of imagine. She gets off to an insecure start but then gives little nuances that are really very pretty.

13. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

It's a fact of life that ANYBODY singing any Dylan song is inherently prettying it up relative to Nasal Bob. And that's ALWAYS a good thing.

14. Robbie California

Robbie California Forum Resident

I just can’t listen to her. The vibrato is like a finger on chalk board .... if you’re old enough to to know what that means.

15. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Same. It's not my thing at all. I would feel the same if I didn't like Dylan.

16. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

This. I certainly like both a lot.

speedracer and Jarleboy like this.
  17. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I have to admit..
    I attended both Rolling Thunder Shows at Maple Leaf Gardens..
    When Joan sang by herself, I got up and bought a hot dog.

18. I find both of them mostly unlistenable. Joan improved in her later years by toning down the heavy handed vibrato.

19. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Not me! I think she's terrific. Don't know her full catalog as well as Dylan's, but I have a bunch of her early albums and "Diamonds and Rust" (which is terrific).

20. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

I really liked her sister Mimi. A more 'tasteful' singer and a superior guitar player
    with less political baggage...and a bit more of a 'looker' as well IMO:

[​IMG]

21. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

I've always admired St. Joan more than I've enjoyed her music. As others have noted, that vibrato is a real deal-breaker.
    That said, I've always found her very attractive. :love:
    These days, she's gotta be one of the hottest near-octogenarians around:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  22. garyt

garyt Forum Resident

Couldn't have put it better myself. It's too pure, if you know what I mean. I prefer a bit of grit, or for want of a better word, soul.

23. lord K

lord K Forum Resident

I do love Dylan and I do love Joan Baez, specially when she sings Dylan (Joan Baez singing "It's all over now baby blue" is a gem !)

24. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

How would anyone know? Dylan fans seem to listen to nothing BUT Dylan.

I once attempted to explain to a Dylan fanatic that one of the verses of "I Shall Be Free #10" referenced Tommy Tucker's bluesy 1964 hit "High-Heel Sneakers." He'd never heard of the song, the artist, or perhaps even the genre called the blues.

25. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I think her version of The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down is the definitive version. Better than The Bands version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.