Joel Bernstein’s rock ‘n’ roll photos highlight Sonoma Valley Museum of Art reopening

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stackswim, Jul 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stackswim

stackswim Coach Emeritus Thread Starter

lightbulb likes this.
  2. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Thank you! That was an interesting perspective; I don’t think I’ve heard much of Joel Bernstein besides being the cover photographer of Neil Young’s “After the Gold Rush”.

3. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Joel was a big part of the CSNY scene and worked with Neil particularly for many years in different capacities, notably as guitar tech and photographer and then as archivist. He did the lion's share of the work for the Stills, Nash and Crosby individual boxed sets. He was also guitar tech for Prince for a while!
    [​IMG]

I love his photos, especially the full size version of the one that was used for the cover of Time Fades Away.

A couple of years ago I was lucky enough to spend a long afternoon at his place. He was looking after some tapes belonging to Chuck Prophet, whose archive I am in charge of (shameless plug, my biography of Chuck comes out next month!). The first hour was Joel making us tea (very elaborate process) while stopping repeatedly as he got caught up in fascinating and hilarious stories. Then we sat and listened to a whole load of unreleased Neil Young recordings. Unforgettable day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.