John Coltrane - Blue Train The Complete Masters Tone Poet 2022

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jcashfan, Jul 27, 2022.

1. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Forum Resident

Thanks. I hope that’s accurate, sometimes they put down the vinyl mastering engineer down in the CD credits. I wonder if the SACDs have been mastered in the same way/differently.

dman23 likes this.
  2. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

Doubt anyone could hear a difference.

ispace, Tim1954, djwkyoto and 2 others like this.
  3. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

The same is mentioned in the SACD booklet. Nothing more.
    [​IMG]

4. Sigma

Sigma Forum Resident

5. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

And Im just about to compare the Classic 33, oh well lets see how it goes ;^)

6. Leonthepro

I think I favor the Stereo in this case too.

[​IMG]

Surely.

7. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Its the entire release. 3CDs. Stereo, alternates, mono.

8. Leonthepro

By the way does anyone else get clicks on Disc 2 when Rudy and the band are talking?
    Only get it during these intermissions when they talk, not on the music or even when they stop talking.

rcsrich and latheofheaven like this.
  9. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

That's breakup from the talkback mic in the booth.

rcsrich, Aegir and Leonthepro like this.
  10. Leonthepro

Thought so. Thanks!

Swann36 and latheofheaven like this.
  11. Aoide

Aoide Forum Resident

How does this new CD master compare to the AP SACD?

12. Leonthepro

[​IMG]

Heres my analysis of various Blue Trains.

I have the MMJ, Classic 33 and the new Stereo and Mono TPs. Starting off with the Monos which would be the MMJ and TP Single Disc I have to say theres virtually nothing in it. The MMJ is slightly louder from what I can tell which may be why some seem to prefer it but when level matched I cant tell them apart even when instantly switching over samples.
    The only difference I could pick out is that there seems to be some specific EQ to Blue Train, Moment's Notice and Lazy Bird where the MMJ gives slightly more focus to the Sax on the intro track while the TP Mono highlights the drum cymbals more on the other two. If I had to pick one solely on sound I would actually go with the new TP Mono because I like those shimmering percussions. Lastly the MMJ runs a little slower. All in all they are both perfectly valid representations and both pressings are nigh flawless.

As for Stereos I thought there would be a much bigger difference between my Classic 33 and TP Stereo, but here too its quite close. The main difference is the stereo separation. As has been the same in other comparisons Ive made with Bernies and Kevins work, Grundman chooses to more often utilize the full panning of the tapes while Kevin reigns it in a little. This effect makes a small difference over speakers but is a major one for headphone listeners as a sound where instruments seem to solely reach one ear make for a fatiguing and unrealistic listen.
    The Classic is also a smidge brighter in general while the TP Stereo is fuller. I wouldnt call it a landslide by any measure but especially given the contents beyond the music I think the TP Stereo is the clear choice here, unless you already have and enjoy the Classic.

Bonus round, I wondered how the TP Stereo and Mono compare when I fold the Stereo down so I tried doing that for fun.
    Rather unsurprisingly given Van Gelders recording methods this produces a quite similar sound although the Stereo does have more cymbal energy and once again runs slower. I dont know if somethings up with Kevins tape deck or what but it seems hard to get consistent speeds out of his cuts. It could be that Rudys deck ran slower for the Stereo tape too, who knows, its probably impossible to hear anyway.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    haomingy, Aegir, rcsrich and 13 others like this.
  13. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

I finally listened to both the mono and stereo since my order was in mail limbo with BN. I love both, but I think I prefer the stereo version of this. Maybe it's the one I am more familiar with, but the stereo pressing demanded my attention in the ways the mono didn't. Glad to have both though!

bluemooze, RiRiIII, Curiosity and 3 others like this.
  14. Alberto Perez

Alberto Perez Active Member

Please let me know if you have any comments re: the above. Thanks

latheofheaven likes this.
  15. edo.t

edo.t Forum Resident

Yoshida's remaster is also on a Blu-ray. It has four extra tracks. I have it and it does sound very good. I have many versions of Blue Train but I'm looking forward to some comparisons of the new Japanese SACD to the AP SACD because just maybe there's room for one more. o_O

djwkyoto and RiRiIII like this.
  16. Dai

Dai Note to self: listen to Clifford Brown more often

Mine sounds fine.

latheofheaven and Alberto Perez like this.
  17. Leonthepro

Ill check later.
    I think there is a bit of distortion on the very last notes but thats all I recall.

18. Alberto Perez

Alberto Perez Active Member

Thanks. I would appreciate your feedback ; )

19. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  20. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

I refuse to order from Blue Note anymore because of this. One time they didn't ship my item until over a month after release and I had preordered the day preorders went live. It cost significantly more than ordering from 3rd party too. I had assumed it would be the way to go, but it's not. Do not buy from BN directly unless you're not from the states and it's your best/only option.

21. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Major bad batch of Stereo release records from Amazon (Seattle area). My first one I almost kept because it had three fairly loud pops on side two. The replacement copy had a skip on track 2, side 2. Another replacement and two loud pops then a skip in the same exact spot. Now the question is whether to just keep one and be good with it. Disappointed in the quality control of these large pressing runs. I do prefer the Stereo over the Mono but like them both. The packaging looks n the Stereo version is beautiful. I haven’t heard every version but my 45rpm still likely my go to copy. Also, I think I’m sorta sick of listening to Blue Train, lol!!

Onto likes this.
  22. Spazotron3000

Spazotron3000 Forum Resident

I believe I've told this before, but I ordered two "in stock" records from them, it took them almost 4 weeks to ship them. I will never order from them again.

latheofheaven and astro70 like this.
  23. Leonthepro

No issues for me on Lazy Bird except for those last few seconds I think on the piano notes, fainter in Mono stan the Stereo.
    If your Hana ML is under 300 hours get a new vinyl copy.

24. Leonthepro

Im debating what I should do with my Monos right now. The Classic 33 Ill sell, but should I keep the MMJ or TP, or neither.
    I did prefer the TP on sound but its negligible. The MMJ clearly has the better sleeve though.

25. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Listened to the 2 Cd set today. Sounds terrific! Very happy. It’s an album that if not mastered well can sound strident and harsh - this mastering is anything but that. Very present and lively as it should be but excellent realistic tonality on all the instruments. A winner!

BTW - Lee Morgan’s solo on Blue Train take 7 - whoah, Lordy!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
    RoyalScam, Curiosity, KipB and 4 others like this.