John Coltrane - Blue Train The Complete Masters Tone Poet 2022

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jcashfan, Jul 27, 2022.

1. Alberto Perez

Alberto Perez Active Member

For me is the trumpet that distorts....my Hana has 440 hours, but I tried this also on a very fresh Nagaoka and it also distorted. I have also tried a 2nd mono copy because Amazon damaged the cover of the first and....same thing...hmmm Did you use a mono cart?

latheofheaven and Leonthepro like this.
  2. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I just got the stereo version yesterday, along with Alice in Chains' Dirt. I've been focused on the latter that I didn't get a chance to listen to Blue Train yet so I'll give it a listen soonish.

3. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Nope, VM95ML, didnt even flick the Mono button. I wouldnt trust Nagaokas too much unless its an MP500.
    Maybe its time for a new stylus?

ztroika and latheofheaven like this.
  4. Alberto Perez

The Hana still tracks very well in general...I was hoping to re-tio it at 800hrs..

ultron9 and latheofheaven like this.
  5. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I'm playing my stereo edition and I'm very impressed with the sound quality. Since I only own the non-SRX MMJ LP, it's quite a different flavour of Blue Train as the stereo has a really nice soundstage and the hard panning doesn't bother me as much as I expected. The drums by Philly Joe Jones stands out to me the most in the stereo mix.

The included booklet is also quite impressive and I like the fact that it's built-in to the inner gatefold cover. I compared the cover and photos between the MMJ to the TP and in my opinion, the MMJ is the clear winner since they sourced it from the original negatives. Some of the details in the TP front cover and even the photos at the bottom are darker with lesser looking. The typography font is also slightly different compared to the MMJ with the former being thicker looking. Also, the session photos are different between the two. Not sure why Kenny Drew wasn't included in the MMJ photo inside the gatefold...

latheofheaven and bluemooze like this.
  6. DGC2001

DGC2001 Forum Resident

I have the same question.

Aoide likes this.
  7. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Going a little of topic here. I agree with @tubesandvinyl in this case as there are a lot of benefits with putting tube gear on a decent for the purpose made stand or/and putting a set of high quality damping feet under the tube gear. IMO one should never underestimate structure-borne vibrations as those for sure are adding interference in to the audio chain especially affecting tube and turntable/phono gear.

latheofheaven likes this.
  8. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Now about the two Blue Train TP pressings- I got both and like them a lot. I love the punchy direct in your face feeling that the mono brings but I also love the amazing soundstage from the stereo release. Two fantastic pressings! Two winners! Great job Blue Note! :righton:

9. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

How did I not realize there was a separate thread for BT? Anyway, both are excellent, but I lean toward the stereo.

10. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Is this a session where the mono version is sonically the same as a fold-down of the stereo?

11. Otto Konrad

Otto Konrad Forum Resident

I don’t believe so. Rudy recorded a separate mono master.

I have listened to both the mono and stereo SACD versions so far. The stereo wins pretty easily. Opening up the soundstage improves the dynamics on all the instruments. I will say I am missing the low end on both versions.

Later this week I will give the vinyl versions a go and compare everything to a stereo original I have. Then I’ll probably put the Blue Train away for a awhile.

rcsrich and action pact like this.
  12. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Helpful answer, thank you.

latheofheaven and Otto Konrad like this.
  13. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

Just finished listening to the Tone Poet mono Blue Train and holy hell it’s ridiculous!
    It sounds so alive and crisp. My first Tone Poet and I’m completely blown away. Jacket is gorgeous too.
    The subtleties on the touch of the piano and breath in the horns are incredible.
    Looking forward to my Tone Poet stereo and alternates arriving later in the week.

This is the only other vinyl version I have, which has been my go to for 25 years now - mastered from the original analog tapes in 1997, can’t find much other info on it.

John Coltrane - Blue Train

14. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I’ve heard good things about those late 90’s reissues mastered by Ron McMaster- certainly solid pressings.

latheofheaven and jumpinjulian like this.
  15. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

Yeah I’ve always really liked it, hence why I never upgraded in 25 years! (Until now)

latheofheaven and rcsrich like this.
  16. Alberto Perez

Today I went back and listened more carefully with headphones to the mono digital version and I realized most of the trumpet distortions are there in the recording on the loud parts...I think I may just be hearing them a little bit more enhanced through my system... so I think I'll stop worrying now...haha

latheofheaven and jumpinjulian like this.
  17. Leonthepro

Got timestamps?

18. Alberto Perez

Try after 0:40 And 7:13
    Listen to the loud parts of the trumpet

19. Leonthepro

The song is less than 7 minutes 13 seconds.
    Dont hear much on 40 seconds though. RVG recorded close and hot at times, there will be a some raspy characteristics of horns heard at times. But this sounds very different and much milder compared to mic overloading or mistracking.

latheofheaven and Alberto Perez like this.
  20. Alberto Perez

Sorry I meant 6:13

21. Alberto Perez

Interesting. To me some parts do sound like mic overload...but you could be right and could also be just the edgy/bitey sound of the trumpet..

22. Leonthepro

Yeah I dont really hear anything like that. Try other headphones or speakers maybe?
    Mine used to buzz a little on pianos for example.

23. Alberto Perez

I have tried two different sets of speakers and amps, 2 turntables, 2 different headphones. All sound similar in this regard to me. Maybe we just hear things differently?

24. Leonthepro

Maybe, if the record sounds like the digital versions then your are fine anyway.

latheofheaven and Alberto Perez like this.
  25. Usky

Usky Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Allow me for a moment to be pedantic.

Did you mean to actually insert the original record into your wallet? (bad idea jeans)

...otherwise I think you meant that you do not have the 'money' in your wallet for them, thar originals...for the act of buying would definitely 'make room' in your metaphorical wallet.

Regardless, I and my own wallet, understood what you meant and both feel your pain.

Swann36 and latheofheaven like this.