John Entwistle's solo albums - unfairly ignored?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marc with a c, Aug 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dopey

Dopey Well-Known Member

my fav by him

2. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

Except for the whole album.

3. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

I love those 5 lps from SYHATW to TLTH, but my fav is Whistle Rymes.

Apron Strings is for me the standout track on that brilliant album, with that incredible Frampton solo (one of my top 5 favorite guitar solos).

4. Dopey

Dopey Well-Known Member

what albums do you like?

5. awizard

awizard Forum Resident

That is one of the most insane "Skunk" live solos I have ever heard. God I miss that guy! What an amazing guitar player!

squittolo, groundharp and BDC like this.
  6. jomo48

jomo48 Forum Resident

I love Entwistle's work with The Who, but feel like only his first two solo albums were maybe strong enough to have been released if he hadn't been a member of a major band.

7. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

I just heard the song Try Me from Too Late The Hero for the first time (I think, the chorus sounded familiar). I can't believe it wasn't a single. It's got that written all over it. Would've been a killer Who single on Face Dances.

8. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

Sorry, I missed you post originally. I quite like "Trick of the Light" as well as Entwistle's other songs from Who Are You.

Overall I feel Entwistle had stronger material on both Who Are You and especially Face Dances. Of course if Pete had included some of the songs from his Empty Glass solo album that came around the same time as Face Dances, such as the title track and "Rough Boys", then Face Dances I might not be as confident in that statement as I am.

Hep Alien and BDC like this.
  9. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I would be thrilled if the CDs would get a rerelease.

Scope J, marc with a c and Odysseus like this.
  10. Vignus

Vignus Digital Vinylist

Smash Your Head Against The Wall for me was a great album. I still listen to it sometimes.
    I really loved "What are we doing here"

The MEZ and Odysseus like this.
  11. plentyofjamjars67

plentyofjamjars67 Forum Resident

Great posts! I own about two dozen LPs by the Who (mostly comps) and several UK 45s. I also have Townshend's Empty Glass & Rough Mix (with Ronnie Lane), Daltrey's Ride A Rock Horse & Entwistle's Whistle Rymes - specifically because of "Apron Strings" - my favorite song of his.:cheers:

squittolo, Hep Alien and groundharp like this.
  12. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

That WAS a brilliant solo! Yes, Baxter is indeed far too MIA. I saw him playing with a band years ago, and he wouldn't play a note of six-string, but stuck to playing pedal steel throughout the set. Nice, but disappointing at the same time.

squittolo likes this.
  13. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident

Why in the world would he name a song ‘jungle bunny’? Please tell me there is some British meaning of this phrase that means something different than the meaning I’ve always heard

14. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident Thread Starter

Always wondered the same thing. Kind of afraid to know the truth, really.

ooan likes this.
  15. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident

yah same

16. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

The first two are rather good,
    i've not heard RMSI or MD in
    ages.

17. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

with the great Memphis guitarist Robert Johnson

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  18. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

squittolo likes this.
  19. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

I own original copies of the five 'main' solo releases. I would too agree that Smash Your Head... and Whistle Rymes are both classics (the former moreso in my opinion, much stronger tunes that would fit more closely with the Who during that time; a bit of a shame they didn't use "My Size" but it's excellent the way it is). Rigor Mortis Sets In and Mad Dog both have their moments but I always felt it was strange he was leaning more into the 50s doo-wop thing at the time (although "Drowning" from the latter is one of his best solo tracks). Too Late The Hero is pretty great, too, especially with the inclusion of Joe Walsh. The live '75 set that's been reissued many times under many titles in different orientations is kinda meh though. The drummer in particular just doesn't have what it takes to take on the classic Who tracks.

The MEZ, Hep Alien and Culpa like this.
  20. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Smash Your Head is one of my favorite albums, ever.

Purchased new when it was first released in 1971, I was very surprised to find different mix/version of "What Are We Doing Here" on both the expanded (2005 Sanctuary) CD release and the "Anthology" from Repertoire 1996 release.

I Like all of his solo albums, however "The Rock" is my least favorite.

Herman Schultz, Hep Alien and Culpa like this.
  21. Dwight Fry

Dwight Fry Forum Resident

My theory on Entwistle is that his best albums/songs came after extended periods in which he was able to stockpile material ("Smash Your Hear Against The Wall", "Too Late The Hero", and "Music from Van-Pires"), indicating not so much a lack of songwriting talent, but a lack of songwriting prolificness. "Whistle Rymes", "Rigor Mortis Sets In" and "Mad Dog" are IMO progressively worse, with "Mad Dog" being flat-out horrible (I enjoyed your podcast series on the Who Discography, Marc, and although I enjoyed your analysis of Entwistle's solo work, I also noted you refused to speak out loud the name of track #2 on side two.)

Unfairly ignored? Sure. Frankly, given that there are Who fans who openly hate Pete Townshend's solo albums, I would submit that the solo careers of Entwistle, Townshend and Daltrey are each unfairly ignored. (As for Keith Moon...while I like "Two Sides Of The Moon", as it was expanded into a 2-disc, 50-track expanded edition a few years back, I can accept that it has received just about as much recognition as it merits.)

On the other hand, I also don't envy the record promoters that had to figure out a way to market Entwistle's albums to a mass audience.

Hep Alien and Odysseus like this.
  22. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I agree that his 70s albums get progressively worse, but Whistle Rymes is still a very good album, much better than anything he did subsequently. And I've never found Too Late the Hero to be much of a comeback. It's stiff and ponderous in sound, and the lyrics are lacking in much of his characteristic humor. A really bland attempt at AOR to my ears. It was surprisingly disappointing, because I really liked his songs on WAY and Face Dances, but the stuff on TLTH is notably weaker.

mw1917, squittolo and Hep Alien like this.
  23. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

I think 905 is a great song, and it predicted test tube babies!

Dwight Fry, Odysseus and Spadeygrove like this.
  24. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

Actually "Success Story" is just Rog and John. Pete doesn't sing any lead vox on that one.

25. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

I think the best song he did (at least on Who records) is Had Enough.

Hep Alien, BDC and Odysseus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.