John Hiatt 2018 Vinyl Reissues (Bring the Family and Slow Turning)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ad180, Feb 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Last month, UMG/A&M reissued two great John Hiatt records: Bring the Family and Slow Turning.

I haven't seen any discussion of them on this forum. I'd love to get them, but wondering if we know the source, who cut them or where they were pressed. But most importantly: how do they sound, especially compared to the original pressings (or in the case of Bring the Family, the MOFI LP version)

Thank you!

John Hiatt - Bring The Family

John Hiatt - Slow Turning

Sean likes this.
  2. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I purchased both re-issued titles. I haven't compared them to any other version yet and on first listen they seem to be fine SQ wise. But ...

In the song 'Slowing Turning' there is the verse

Now I'm in my car
    I got the radio on
    I'm yellin' at the kids in the back seat
    'Cause they're bangin' like Charlie Watts

and right after "... Charlie Watts" there is a drum riff imitating a typical Charlie Watts drum riff. That's one of the high-lights of the LP for me. On this edition that drum riff is mixed way in the back. It's hardily audible, killing any of the humour of the musical 'joke'. It spoils the whole album for me.

P.S. There's also a Music On Vinyl label re-issue of 'Bring The Family' from several years ago. I've never heard. IIRC I asked anyone's opinion of that edition and received no replies.

John Hiatt "Bring The Family" LP on the 'Music on Vinyl' label

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.