John Lennon 1980 footage -Insanely Uber Rare

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WildHoneyPie9, Feb 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

2. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

3. Crawlin From The Wreckage

Crawlin From The Wreckage Custom Titled

Actually, yes, my concern was for Julian. Very astute of you to notice. Okay, plus perhaps a bit of perspective before the river of tears threatens to flood us all out of the forum.

4. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

sigh..........that was bittersweet

5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I was not saying that no music videos were made in 1980, just that access was extremely limited until the summer of 1981. Thus, I don’t think that it would be surprising that”Starting Over”, a song released in December of 1980 would not be accompanied by a music video.

I don’t have the numbers, but in Japan and the US, terrestrial television rarely showed music videos, except on certain late night shows, usually 30 minute shows that aired once a week (similar to the UK Top of the Pops). That changed with cable television, but as I think most people know, the explosion of cable coincided almost exactly with the growth of MTV (largely coincidental). So, in 1980, cable was still in a small percentage of households, and no one had yet come up with the concept of a music channel that could take the place of radio. That was MTV in the summer of 1981. By 1982-83, cable was (guessing here) in more than half of US households and MTV was running 24 hours a day. This happened virtually overnight.

That’s the reason I suspect no one remembers the videos for Celebrate, or Endless Love. But, the 1982 videos are iconic - Olivia in her leotard and headband, the Survivor guy with his red beret, Paul and Stevie dancing on the keyboard, the teacher in lingerie in “Centerfold”.

Check the list just one year later, and I’ll bet most people on this Forum can recall clearly the video for the vast majority of the top 100. MJ in his orange jacket in “Beat It”? Jennifer Beals getting the water dumped on her in “Flashdance (What a Feeling)”? Sting playing the upright bass in black and white in “Every Breath You Take”? Bowie in the remote Australian bar in “Let’s Dance”?

A fascinating period

Carlox, Lewisboogie, ajsmith and 2 others like this.
  6. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

It's entirely possible that John was planning on filming more promotional stuff for DF songs in January 1981—for instance a "Watching the Wheels" clip or another try at a "I'm Losing You" video—after the holidays and the initial release of the album.

blutiga and ajsmith like this.
  7. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Could be. Or maybe he planned to do a promotional tour of major markets, lip syncing his hit on Top of the Pops and the like.

Just remembered something perhaps relevant here. The first single from Michael Jackson’s Thriller album was “The Girl is Mine”, a terribly conservative choice but a big hit. And . . . no music video was made.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  8. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

Wasn't the footage of John & Yoko undressing and cuddling on the bed supposed to be for a "Starting Over" promo film?

Ken Wood likes this.
  9. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

[​IMG]

yeah he looked 40.....he stopped boozing, ate fish and rice for a few years so looked a little thinner, he looked fine

linklinc and applejam101 like this.
  10. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

It's not just that. I think Hendrix was skinny even by 60s standards (even if he was also muscular).One thing I notice is that in rock n' roll you can be near death thin and there's very little concern. It's widely accepted and even quite cool. Some rock star puts on a few pounds and it's all some people talk about! I never got that. One seems acceptable and not the other.To be below a certain weight can be as much of a problem health wise as being overweight.

Andersoncouncil likes this.
  11. Dr. Dog

Dr. Dog You can talk to me...

T
    That’s what I seem to remember reading once long ago.

Hooperfan likes this.
  12. WildWildHorses49

WildWildHorses49 Forum Resident

This legitimately gave me a teary eye.

13. Pianoman99

Pianoman99 Forum Resident

Chapman is the object I detest the most in this world. And I am normally not a person full of hatred.
    He took everything from all of us. And in such a senseless way.

Hep Alien and PIGGIES like this.
  14. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

so kevin is jealous the rest of the band is with this hot chick in underwear.....playing dominoes? while they watch footage of one of their shows? but the chick is actually his shrink? lol, I love it

Ken Wood and blutiga like this.
  15. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

That's because we traded coke for coca colas and sugar.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  16. lordcat

lordcat Forum Resident

What footage is this?

17. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

I prefer the name to be forgotten and known only as the sick individual that assassinated John Lennon. After all, a lot of these sickos are only after the notoriety. Why should history grant them that?

Hep Alien and oboogie like this.
  18. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Tavern on the Green? I recognize that from Ghostbusters! Lol

19. Pianoman99

Pianoman99 Forum Resident

I totally agree and this is the reason I used the word "object".

I don't wish anyone to be murdered, but I think our dear John who gave the world so much good, who changed our way of thinking to the better, who helped us being tolerant to each other, who dreamt of and believed in a better world.... was the last one to deserve such a fate.

I still miss his opinion about all what is going on. There is hardly a day when I do not think "what would he have said?". He is deeply missed. Because he was so special - and yet normal and modest. My anger towards the object will never end.

20. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

They both share the same birthday.

21. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

1. Appeared to have distorted body image in 1979-80
    2. Reduced down to about 130 pounds and lost muscle mass in process
    3. Smoked like a chimney. Heavy smoking and gaunt face made him look older.

lordcat likes this.
  22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

This video is unavailable.

BostonBob likes this.
  23. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Interesting. I saw a shot from a John and Yoko Crawdaddy photo shoot from 71? recently. One shot where John had the glasses off made me look twice - as I thought it resembled the shots from the 1980 'in bed together' photos.

oboogie likes this.
  24. lordcat

lordcat Forum Resident

I saw a shot from him at the Grapefruit book signing session the other day and done the same, well thought he looked like 1980.
    I don't know how the hell he stayed so thin at times seeing as he didn't exercise and liked junk food.
    [​IMG]

blutiga and oboogie like this.
  25. BostonBob

BostonBob Paperback Writer

Apparently taken down. I've tried switching my VPN to several different countries but still cannot access it.

Michael and Lewisboogie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.