John Lennon - Mind Games Box Set, Due 2024

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Saul Pimon, Oct 9, 2023.

1. Saul Pimon

Saul Pimon Co-hosts Nothing Is Real Beatles Podcast (Jason!) Thread Starter

Confirmed in a “tweet” from the Lennon estate today, there’s a MindGames box planned for summer 2024 with “six albums worth” of material. Assuming this will be in the same format as the POB & Imagine boxes, would anyone care to speculate on content specifics?
    https://x.com/johnlennon/status/1711289726987108679

2. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Excited, but then I was excited for the tweet “confirming” the STINYC set all those moons ago lol

3. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

I don't want to dampen anyone's excitement but I can't help being suspicious of that "six albums worth" phrase, as if this might be a digital only release. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

4. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

This is fantastic news! I'm glad we're getting this one instead of Sometime. I didn't buy it then and I wouldn't buy it now. MindGames and then Walls and Bridges. Perfect!

ARod, hodgo, ted321 and 9 others like this.
  5. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Let's see...
    Mind Games original mix remastered
    Mind Games stereo remix
    Mind Games Quad mix remastered
    Mind Games 5.1 mix
    Mind Games Atmos mix
    Mind Games stripped down remix

That's "six albums worth" of the same 12 (11) songs. :D

(just kidding)

6. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Well, I'll get it like I did with the 2 previous sets. :D

7. slane

slane Forum Resident

Not far off. If it's like the others it will be something like:

Remix
    Outtakes
    Evolution Mixes
    Raw Mixes
    Raw Outtakes
    Elements Mixes

of all the same songs.

8. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Sign me up…. Although I was one of the 3 signed up for STINYC also, so what do I know

9. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Hopefully add a blu ray as well and a book, if they maintain the standards of the previous two releases it’s going to be great.

10. Phil_Lip

Phil_Lip Forum Resident

Looking forward to this, the first Lennon album I bought. It was on a MFP budget cassette with an outside card wrapper and I played it to death. I hope 'Who is that and why are they doing those strange things?' is restored. I hate hearing the CDs with it faded out.

11. Fred1

Fred1 Stuck in the past with one eye to the future!

I'm kind of suspicious. Was there so much material left to be released now?

12. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

I won't buy the box set, but I love the entire LP.

Syd Avett, BDC, peskypesky and 3 others like this.
  13. Country Rocker

Country Rocker Forum Resident

My favourite John Lennon album. It will be interesting to hear if they can better the 2002 remix. The best remix I've ever heard, in my opinion. A total revelation.

14. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

It’s not going to be 5 extra albums worth of outtakes. Going by the precedent of the previous boxes, at least a disc worth of outtakes. Then the raw mixes and evolution mixes etc

15. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I love the album. I'm in. :cheers:

16. Haggischomper

Haggischomper Scottish AF

The other Ultimate Mix boxes have been great. Lots of interesting stuff on them and an interesting approach taken. John's birthday today but WE are the ones being gifted.

Looking forward to the Mind Games box.

17. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Off the top of my head I have a fair amount of Mind Games related boots including a 4cd set. I guess the forth coming official box will match the Imagine/POB format.

18. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Aside from alternate takes are there any known outtakes / jams from these sessions that we can expect on this set?

19. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

If it is not digital only. And of course we now have a gap.

I'm not really going to get worked up about any of these rumours now until I see them. Once bitten twice shy as Ian Hunter would say.

20. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

Why so long? They have had years since POB

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  21. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

there’s no way they release all of the new Mind Games stuff on streaming only and pass up the opportunity to sell a $150 dollar box set. They put the Imagine and POB sets up on streaming now, but they’ve been available for five and two years respectively as box sets before going on streaming, if they weren’t already. I’ve seen other box sets release most of the tracks on streaming same day as the physical release so it must not cut into the sales too much. So I can see them doing the same here, either simultaneously releasing it on physical and streaming or waiting a few months before putting it all up online. I know there has been a drought of Beatle releases this year, but there have still been a glut of physical releases and box sets by plenty of other artists, there is still money to be there and they know it, so I really can’t see no physical component to this.

As for the gap, my hope is that, and this is all speculation ,they had STINYC on the shelf but there was possibly pressure from Universal to hold off on it and they were going back and forth until they decided to scrap it and just move on to the next set to keep the series going. Sure they will miss the anniversary of both albums , just like they missed POB’s due to covid(at the end of the day it doesn’t matter) and it is well known that there is still months long delays in the manufacturing process in the vinyl/ music industry so that might have something to do with the fact that this will be coming in the summer rather then now. But my hope is that they do Walls and Bridges and Rock n Roll in the next few years to try to catch up with the anniversaries or get close to them, and during ‘25-‘29 they go back and release STINYC, so that they can be ready in time for the 50th (shudder) anniversary of Double Fantasy.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2023
  22. Haggischomper

Haggischomper Scottish AF

The box sets have been on streaming since (almost?) day 1. The new streaming thing now also includes the Blu Ray content.

Mind Games will definitely be a physical box, I reckon (hope)

lordcat likes this.
  23. AndyTaylor

AndyTaylor Forum Resident

The most superfluous subtitle in history :

I Know (I Know)

MitchLT, Gila, Abkco and 6 others like this.
  24. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

I enjoy the demos, alternate takes, and alternate mixes on the Absolute Elsewhere 3 CD set, it will be great to hear some of that material (and more) in better sound quality. I really, really want this to be a physical set following the format of Plastic Ono Band and Imagine.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2023
    ARod, Flaming Torch, Abkco and 7 others like this.
  25. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Yes, your probably right , I thought so. I know The Beatles and Dylan bootleg series release most if not all of the tracks from the box sets on streaming same day as well, so I can’t imagine releasing Mind Games all on streaming should prevent a physical release.

Haggischomper likes this.