Johnny Thunders - "L.A.M.F." remaster - Nov 2017 + "So Alone" reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Purple Jim, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I can't remember which tracks, but I could've sworn some of the alternate mixes on the 4CD are the same as the original album mixes (but from tape rather than vinyl). If so, I wonder if any of the other mixes they have on tape are the same as the album or single mixes. Shame the single mixes weren't included on the 4CD.

Btw, this CD has the Chinese Rocks / Born to Lose single mixes: Various - DIY: Blank Generation - The New York Scene

Also has the best sounding Richard Hell's Blank Generation / Spurts I've found in digital.

2. entropyfan

entropyfan Forum Resident

What's the preferred mix of this album? Is there a consensus? All I've heard are the Lost '77 mixes.

punkmusick likes this.
  3. rock4ev

rock4ev Forum Resident

I know that album inside and out (L.A.M.F.), one of my faves, J.T. was a big influence on my playing in early 90's and So Alone is a fave too, it has great overall vibe and is consistent, plus Phil Lynott and Steve Marriot guests on some of it (and many many others). Those 2 albums are great listens.
    Couple of things about L.A.M.F. one is about the performance and songs, the music is so alive it's just pure R'n'R , the second thing is about the myth of the mud, I myself think it was in the vinyl itself, possibly poor quality? Idk? Track Records were going out of business right at that time and I can't remember exact copies of other bands on Track that I have and have heard that were clearly inferior sounding then earlier ones or repress on the label that got the catalog, that's also why I think the cassette didn't sound muddy. Something to look into, possibly solve this old mystery?

OE3 and TheLoveDrags like this.
  4. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I'd love to get So Alone with an entire bonus disc of tracks on CD.

Bowland and rock4ev like this.
  5. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Yes - I believe this is explained in the liner notes to The Lost Mixes, but your theory is what most believe now, too, that the vinyl pressings were screwed-up. So the band was endlessly remixing, thinking the mix was why the vinyl was coming out all "muddy", when it was a pressing fault all along.

6. rock4ev

rock4ev Forum Resident

Yep and exactly, and all those mixes really got the band riled... I just don't remember the vinyl itself getting the blame, only all the guys going in for re mixing and such. It's such a clean, pure and simple album that it's hard to believe the mix was the ultimate problem, Tho this is just my thoughts and I have some poor sounding Track Records lps that are from that year

Chris Bernhardt and pobbard like this.
  7. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

I've got the Remarquable records double vinyl. It sounds extraordinary. One of the best sounding reissues I've ever heard, in fact.

bagstiv, Trainwrecker and rock4ev like this.
  8. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

Could be this:
    https://www.amazon.it/M-F-180g-Gate...024451&sr=1-1&keywords=johnny+thunders+vinile
    ?

Purple Jim likes this.
  9. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I've never heard it but it is frequently argued that the cassette version sounded good and that would be an evidence that the problem was not the mix but the pressing.

10. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

That's a great cd. The whole series is fantastic.

OE3 and rnranimal like this.
  11. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

12. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

I had a UK vinyl copy and it was totally muddy sounding, just terrible. Not a myth. It was defectively mastered.

DTK and punkmusick like this.
  13. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Interesting.

14. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

L.A.M.F. has been reissued / repackaged to the point where I can't keep track of it. That said, man I love this album. I must love it because I keep buying it every time there's another release of it.

keef00 and punkmusick like this.
  15. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Yeah come to think of it, the friend of mine who turned me onto it, (and after I got L.A.M.F. Revisited when it came out, and DTK Live At The Speakeasy etc), his copy of the original L.A.M.F. was terribly muddy sounding too.

I owned two vinyl copies of L.A.M.F. actually, different times - both the same problem with the sound.

16. gottogo99

gottogo99 Forum Resident

Original cassette sounds pretty great, better than "The Lost '77 Mixes" to me. I think they made the right choices back in '77 for the LP but were sabotaged by a bad pressing. Judge for yourself:

17. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

So, I've got the 4 disc set. Is this as definitive as they claim????

18. punkmusick

I didn't know it was on YouTube, I'm listening now and it seems at least as good as the Lost '77 Mixes, thanks!

19. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

This edition
    HEARTBREAKERS 'L.A.M.F. Definitive Edition' 3xLP set 16p booklet Johnny Thunders | eBay
    Should sound better.

20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member Thread Starter

Bijan likes this.
  21. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I only have one copy and it sounds fine. I'm not approaching it as an audiophile release of course but for comparison it sounds better than my (French) copy of Never Mind The Bollocks and million miles better than, say, Raw Power :).

Jimmy B. likes this.
  22. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

DTK likes this.
  23. punkmusick

24. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

Jesus things were much simpler when this album had just one release and that's it!

I think the point is the band thought they would outdo the Sex Pistols, but of course could never get the sound as good as NMTB.

Funny to think now, in these days of rockers being 60+, I thought those guys were old, they were just 10 years older than the SP and for us they were grandads.

punkmusick likes this.
  25. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It's coming soon.

Jimmy B., Stat1516, dormouse and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.