JoJo Rabbit new film from Taika Waititi

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by marmalade166, Sep 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frangelico

Frangelico Forum Resident

One person’s greatness is another’s dreck.

2. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

But is it really that difficult? Making fun of Nazis has been a British comedy staple for decades. Ask Roderick Spode, or David Croft.

3. Frangelico

But they belittle the significance and gloss over the realities in an ignorant and inane manner. It is not done in a derisive Shakespearean manner, but rather as feel good light comedy.

I believe Waititi is quoted somewhere along the lines of having not done any research on Hitler because he doesn’t deserve it, whatever that means. If true, this is incredibly ignorant. What’s next a film on the Killing Fields without researching Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge ?

nibor likes this.
  4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

"Are we the baddies?"

5. Chris DeVoe

I have yet to see the film, so I can't answer. But Waititi is Jewish and I don't want to imagine he wants to give the bastard any more space in his brain than necessary.

davenav likes this.
  6. Frangelico

Yes, there have been “comedies” about this subject matter. However, at some point it becomes tiresome and obscures a very brutal reality. There has been an unfortunate Nazi fetish, at times, in art, if you will. It’s been manifested in fashion, film and music on occasion.

7. Frangelico

I’ll watch it when it comes to cable, but from what I’ve seen Hitler is humanized in the eyes of the child, at least in some scenes.

I always found Life is Beautiful to be crass and antiseptic and its so-called reputation has not held up well. I expect the same for this.

8. Chris DeVoe

I plan to see the film. My wife saw it and loved it and plans to see it again, so I'll see it when I return home.

This is not the real Hitler, but a child's imaginary friend version of Hitler. A generation of children were forced into into it. According to the Holocaust Museum:
    1. While membership in the Hitler Youth was initially voluntary, in 1936 participation became compulsory under the “Law Concerning the Hitler Youth.”
    2. More than 82% of German children and teens belonged to the Hitler Youth or its female equivalent, the League of German Girls.
    3. While girls prepared for their futures as wives and mothers, boys participated in military training. By the end of the war, boys as young as 12 were serving in German civil defense and in the German home guard, the Volkssturm.
    Again, I have yet to see it, but this was a child young enough to still have an imaginary friend. It's not as if we needed more proof of their evil, and while making child soldiers might well be the least of their crimes, destroying the childhood of a generation of youth is something for which they should be held to account.

By the way, much respect to the folks behind the web site for the Holocaust Museum. They were the top result on a Google search for "The Hitler Youth". As someone who has done Search Engine Optimization, well done!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    cleandan and marmalade166 like this.
  9. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Jeeesus H Christ - see it and then judge it.

10. Chris DeVoe

Where is the "MegaLike" button?

AudioEnz likes this.
  11. Frangelico

Yes CD I know all about that. I’m not a fan of this approach nor Life is Beautiful. I understand your point of the proof of evil, but some people are pretty ignorant about this period of history and history in general. They don’t possess your perspective and then they go commenting on things they don’t really understand.

12. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

I don't see belittling or making light of. Everyone knows how horrific the holocaust was. It's art.

13. Chris DeVoe

Again, I'm speaking for my wife who has seen JoJo Rabbit...as well as being someone who has seen all nine-and-a-half hours of Shoah in the theater. She is very sensitive to anyone making light of the actual Holocaust.

I just spoke to her, and she assures me (making sure not to spoil the film for me) that it's primarily about how the German people were brainwashed, particularly a pair of young boys.

I'll see the film next Saturday when I get home to Chicago.

14. Frangelico

I’m not allowed to comment on what I’ve seen and read thus far ? Wonderful

I’ve seen certain scenes and can comment based on those scenes, just like someone can comment on a song from an album or a passage from a book. And yes my perspective on this is more informed than most.

15. Frangelico

Come on Chris you’re commenting and haven’t seen it yet either :)

16. Chris DeVoe

I have the word of my wife, who has seen it and whose taste and judgement I trust, whom I have known since 1984.

If she says it's good, I have more than enough reason to believe her.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  17. davenav

I’ve seen it, and you couldn’t be more wrong in your assumptions.

The trailer makes Jojo Rabbit look like a light hearted comedy. Believe me - it’s not.

I think I can safely say it’s unlike any film I’ve seen on WW II. I’ve been rerunning scenes from it in my head all day.

My date called me twice today to talk about how it affected her. This is a rare thing!

18. Chris DeVoe

Please don't spoil anything, even accidentally. I want to have this with my wife. We have shared so many amazing films together, like Brazil.

19. davenav

I am avoiding spoilers. I hope I haven’t given away too much!!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  20. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The reviewer in the paper told people flat out. This is NOT all comedy. Another reason I need to see this. This is not The Death of Stalin.

21. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

My son was in that. Vladislav's torture victim near the end. Blink and you miss him! :laugh:

Loved Jojo Rabbit. Go see it people. A film for our times.

goodiesguy, Mazzy, ex_mixer and 3 others like this.
  22. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

The audience reaction in our little theatre went from peals of laughter to absolute stunned silence. The missus and I were both crying at the end. Don't miss seeing this film.

23. Loved it. And there’s a major Beatles connection :tiphat:

24. Nope your first impression on this film is dead wrong

Stormrider77, Chris DeVoe and davenav like this.
  25. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

Jojo Rabbit was a great cinematic experience. I highly recommend it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.