JoJo Rabbit new film from Taika Waititi

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by marmalade166, Sep 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

agentalbert and Dudley Morris like this.
  2. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

It's weird, always think Scarlett Johansson being an ordinary actress but with this and Lost in Translation she's in two of the my unforgettable films of this century.
    I loved it, 'that' scene and the choice of soundtrack at the start and end had me in tears.
    Bemused by the polarising reviews, but that's why we love film

3. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I’ve seen a lot of very good films this year. This one was the best.

4. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

I am in full agreement. It's back in theaters, so I went to see it for the 2nd time. It had the same effect, I think I liked it even more than the first viewing.

EddieMann likes this.
  5. Cool hand luke

You mean when they search the house? That scene was almost terrifying, and heartbreaking when the girl had to repeat the greeting.

vegafleet and Chris DeVoe like this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

I saw it when it first opened, with my wife, then much later after it had been in the theaters for a month, and again last week. It holds up and is still deeply moving.

Cool hand luke likes this.
  7. Cool hand luke

Yup. The tears still rolled down, even though I knew what was coming. And I was able to pay more attention to the performances of the actors. Incredible.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  8. Cool hand luke

GREAT choice of songs, as well as those by Tom Waits, Arthur Lee & Love, and Roy Orbison.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  9. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

I watched this last night and I loved it.

And fortunately, I had no idea that Taika Waititi was playing a role in this film, as he was great.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  10. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I also just saw this last night and really, really loved it. It is now on my all-time favorite movie list. I agree Taika did a wonderful acting job, too. I need to start checking out his other films. The entire cast was great. I need to get this on disc as this is one I will watch on a regular basis.

Dudley Morris and Chris DeVoe like this.
  11. Chris DeVoe

Taika Waititi and Roman Griffin Davis were guests on Ellen's TV show and she gushed about the movie, confessing that she hadn't seen it for a long time, staying away because the subject matter, and then having seen it it's become one of her all-time favorite films.

12. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

13. Chris DeVoe

Thanks for that. I could disassemble all of her arguments, responding point-by-point, but she's decided that she's not going to respond to anybody, so why should I bother either?

Suffice to say she's constructed not just a straw man but an entire Potemkin village of them.

14. Cool hand luke

davenav and Chris DeVoe like this.
  15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Blu-ray arrived today - looking cautiously forward to Waititi's audio commentary.

His track for his Thor movie was awful, but I'm hopeful he'll take this one more seriously. He just made stupid jokes through the whole Thor commentary and barely bothered to talk about the production of the movie!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  16. Chris DeVoe

I'm not a psychotherapist nor do I play one on television, so I can't really explain it, other than to say that Elsa was more complex than the plaster saint that this critic wants. In one of the early interviews Watiti mentioned that, before the Nazis rose to power, she'd been a bit of a "mean girl." Try to imagine what her life is like (try to hear this in the voice of an exasperated 15 year old girl.)

My best friend died, her mom is hiding me in an icky, gross attic, and the only person I get to talk to is my friend's bratty little brother who is an actual Nazi! It is all so unfair!

So yes, she's going to mess with his pointy little head.

"That's where we live, in your head."

17. Cool hand luke

I agree, I didn't get her take on the Elsa character at all. And calling the film harmful (and upsetting)?? Jeez....it's almost like there's something being taken personally there.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  18. Cool hand luke

Already out for home-viewing, wow. This upcoming weekend it's still at the local theater here. I plan on seeing it a 3rd time, bringing a few people who haven't seen it. We'll see what they think!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  19. Oatsdad

Typical release pattern: about 3 months from theaters to video!

20. Cool hand luke

Yes, just odd to see it back/still in theaters also. That's because of it's Oscar nominations, I'm sure, along with a few other releases (Parasite is as well)

21. Oatsdad

BP noms usually get renewed theatrical life before the ceremony. "Parasite" got an added list of screens this weekend because it won - the others are just hanging on! :)

Cool hand luke likes this.
  22. Oatsdad

Updating myself: the "Jojo" commentary stinks!

When left on his own, he barely says anything during this movie. He'll go "let's watch the movie" and that'll be it.

Then about 75% of the way through the film, he claims he's run out of material to discuss!

He spices up the proceedings with calls to a few actors. His chat with Stephen Merchant is good because Merchant forces Waititi to talk about the movie.

Otherwise... meh.

Waititi's "Ragnarok" commentary was a disappointment, but I hoped he'd bounce back with this one. Nope - there's maybe 10 minutes of actual useful content here!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  23. Chris DeVoe

That's a crying shame, he's such a funny guy!

24. Oatsdad

I think he's simply a lousy commentator. I looked at my reviews for other Waititi commentaries - "What We Do In the Shadows", "Eagle vs. Shark", the aforementioned "Ragnarok" - and those weren't very good either.

Nothing drives me more nuts than when a commentator takes a break so we can watch the movie. We've already seen the movie, and we can switch to the regular soundtrack anytime we want! :mad:

Dudley Morris and Chris DeVoe like this.
  25. Chris DeVoe

Have you had a chance to listen to Rian Johnson's commentary on Knives Out?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.