Joker - 2019 Film*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by neo123, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident

Comic books changed forever when the Batman graphic novels came out in the late-eighties. This whole ‘Joker’ thing reminds me of a movie version of one of those types of graphic novels — they’re gritty, bloody, people die — even main characters started to be killed-off in those late-eighties graphic novels. What if this new ‘Joker’ movie is like a graphic novel about a wormhole in a round universe? Physics is weird this year btw. The universe is round now. Batman is bad in an alternate universe. That’s just one story to be told.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  2. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident

I just want to say this to the ‘Joker’ producers because I can. Are you thinking about potential future consequences, in the form of needing undercover police in theaters again, if you do release a ‘Joker 2’?

You really didn’t know that was going to happen the first time. So you get a pass on that whole thing. That’s done now. But if you do make ‘Joker 2,’ you’ll need to roll-out all the cops again, right? So, if there’s a ‘Joker2,’ you’ll be hassling the cops, and creating an atmosphere where real life consequences could potentially be out of your control. Is another billion-grossing film worth the worry again?

Having said that, I wouldn’t want to completely discourage a future ‘Joker2’ release because I think it’s an interesting concept. So, how do you deal with all that other stuff that would most likely come up again? You’ll need the cops again if you make a new movie, and release it in theaters. What about an HBO-only thing? But then the potential billion is out. You can’t rake in that kind of money on an HBO-only release. I know, Hollywood didn’t invent violence. And it’s not Hollywood’s job to teach morality. I’m just saying how do you gross another billion, with that whole-other genie already out of the bottle?

And it’s “art” because you say it is. What was Jack White’s comment on art recently? “It’s not the artist’s job to serve the people”? “Artists don’t serve people”? Or something? No, they don’t. They just cash-out. So what? If more than a few people are worried about potential real life violence unnecessarily erupting, and a police presence is actually needed in theaters again, isn’t it all worth it to potentially gross another billion dollars? You can’t let looming threats of insanity dictate what is ‘normal’ behavior in society, right? People go to movies, and “artists” have a right to conceive of and market any projects that they damn well please. Oh wait, is the film itself a looming threat of insanity?

3. Graham

Graham Senior Member

What a load of utter twaddle. Watch the film instead of pontificating about the tenuous link between film violence and real life.

4. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident

I’m just saying, undercover cops had to go out to cinemas all over the country. Should they have to do that again? Should cops be asked to do that, again, for the sake of “art,” and for a billion dollars to be moved around? And that money is not going to the cops. They don’t get any of it. I’m sure the cinematography is great, and I know cinematography is an art form, etc. You might be missing my point. Does a prospective ‘Joker2’ release become like a looming threat of insanity — within itself, as if it would be a weaponized-threat to public safety, in a sense — that is, if this possible, future film were to be released in theaters?

This is just a bit of social commentary. My opinion of a movie that I’ve never seen doesn’t even matter here.

5. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident

Maybe people in London didn’t have to worry about what might happen at a theater somewhere nearby. That’s part of my social commentary, too. And if I was getting a portion of that billion, I might think causing a public disturbance was worth it. But, If you cause a sense of public panic, somehow, that the cops have to go undercover, well, maybe that ‘whole thing’ shouldn’t be replicated.

6. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident

Or, maybe the cops want this? ‘Joker’ Could serve to remind people that sometimes we need others to be around with concealed weapons. Everybody’s like, “Yeah, we want more undercover cops around, now that’s freedom!” This is a weird world we’re living in. What happened to Batman? The movies used to be about him. I should post some more about ‘Old Town Road.’

7. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident

If it’s ok with the cops then it’s fine with me. Btw don’t write any love stories if you’re not feeling like it ever again. And critics panned the last ‘Hangovers,’ so they don’t deserve the comedy anymore. Your comedy has been removed now. Enjoy the police presence....

8. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

@Socrates - Interesting. Why you don't want to see the movie couldn't possibly be more irrelevant. The ONLY thing MORE irrelevant are yr endless, stoned-out ramblings about violence and the cinema. Curious that you think it's necessary to go on, for SO long, about Nothing! You want all this nonsense you've written to have the slightest meaning?, go see the movie! The time you've wasted writing would've been put to better use had you simply watched the movie! Me, I'm heading for the 'ignore' option!;)

9. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

What's ironic about "social commentary" like yours is that it potentially helped drive this film's popularity in the first place. Had certain media outlets not tried to pile in with their pearl-clutching and finger-pointing, the movie might've received less attention in general. The same thing happened with the recent Dave Chappelle special, where a specific type of insufferable coverage only drummed up interest.

Maybe one day you and those cloying media outlets will realize that the people who already agree with you have no intention of seeing the film, so nothing you say to them really matters. On the flip side of that coin, those eager to see the film won't give your perspective the time of day. That leaves the proverbial fence-sitters, who are now more likely to see the film because you've either piqued their interest or pushed them away with your overwrought take. Congrats.

10. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident

Probably the “ignore” option would be the best idea, if I’ve really gotten under anyone’s skin. My posts on this thread were only intended to be part of a year-end roundup of commentaries. I’m just saying the movie proves one point for conservatives, that sometimes we need people around who are secretly carrying guns. And that’s freedom!

smilin ed likes this.
  11. Charlie DJ

Charlie DJ Forum Resident

The movie doesn't prove that point really. In my experience, the local AMC had a uniformed officer in the theater lobby for opening weekend only - and that was most likely due more to the hype than anything else. After that weekend, no more officers in the theater. And I can guarantee the last time I saw the movie in the theater there were no undercover cops or people secretly carrying guns.

12. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

13. Denim Chicken

Let’s get this thread back in shape before we lose it. Here’s another behind the scenes clip of different takes from the Murray Show scene when he’s introduced.

14. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Thread under review for "snowflakes" comments.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  15. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Now reopened! :)

Exotiki and George P like this.
  16. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident

That is if you edited my comments. I don’t know what you just did, Gary. Somebody called a cop, and he surgically removed some part of the thread? I’m not reading back through this. Have a nice day, and that wish is for a few of the reactionary liberals around here, too. I’m all about inclusivity. So I’m including you in my good wishes for all. Have a nice day. You need to calm down.

17. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

18. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I removed xxxxx (x) posts. That's it.

Edit - make that 4 posts.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2019
    Jerry likes this.
  19. Denim Chicken

Goodbye thread
    [​IMG]

20. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident

Of mine? If so, you shouldn’t have. If not, then whatever. Wait until the press picks up on this idea, and the red people. They’ll be censuring you. That’s the power God has.

21. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident

22. Denim Chicken

23. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks for sharing this. A lot of fun and cool to see all the different takes.

Denim Chicken likes this.
  24. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident

I thought that post was "awaiting moderator approval"? Now everybody can see it. I didn't meant to hurt your feelings, if I did.

I just want to say, to reiterate one of the points I was making: members of 'the normal police' have already told me I look like I should be in a motorcycle gang. I'm like, good. Whatever that means.

What is 'normal'? I'm also saying, if you don't expect the cops to be out at the 'Joker2' release, then have it go straight to video, or to HBO or whatever. But then the billion is probably out. However, a lot of citizens of the USA might be more relaxed if it went straight to HBO.

I also said this was an interesting project, (but maybe that post got deleted), and I wouldn't want to totally discourage its future development, in the form of sequels being created. I'm saying at what cost, and is the hassle of the 'perceived threat to public safety' really worth it?