Jolida/Black Ice Foz XT-R

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by slovell, Sep 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark Thread Starter

Anyone using this unit in their set up? Just wondering if it's worth buying or if it's another gimmick to relieve one of his/her cash? I've considered getting one of these or a Fozgometer for setting up my Scout and ART9 cart. I'm presently using the VPI jig and a Mint Protractor but my eyes aren't what they used to be and it's getting more difficult to see everything as time marches on. I've read many pros and cons about the Fozgometer (mostly about the calibration problems with it) but haven't found much about the XT-R other than some like it and others think it's snake oil. I would think the XT-R's adjustable crosstalk feature should be useful if it actually works. Just would like to hear from someone who actually has experience with it.
    Regards,
    Sam

2. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

I have one if you would like to give it a shot.

slovell likes this.
  3. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I have one. But if you have concerns about the Fozgometer, then your concerns should be the same with the XT-R. The XT-R is just a Fozometer with some additional circuitry to counter the phasing of the crosstalk. I'll say that it fits the my needs as there are very good solutions to solving Azimuth with with my Rega tonearm. I did notice some improvement in the sound staging. But the improvements are going to be highly dependent on your cartridge. And I wouldn't doubt that this isn't necessarily a brand to brand thing. I think it might be from each cartridge to cartridge of the same model. I bought mine at discount, Needle Doctor was closing them out before they shut down. It was worth the $250, I spent on mine. I probably wouldn't have bought it for $400. I bought it out of curiosity and it worked out.

I see from your profile that you have the JD9. You might consider the Black Ice F-159 phono stage which replaces the JD9 and includes the XT-R. Getting the F-159 solves the problems of adding an additional device into your chain.

bajaed likes this.
  4. slovell

I thought about the F-159 but $1500 for a new phono stage isn't in my budget at present. I've been looking for a used XT-R but haven't located one so far. Thanks for the info.

5. slovell

Sent you a PM.

6. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

back at you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.