Jon Anderson Album Poll & Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Aar Gal, Mar 30, 2020.

1. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

There are a number of instrumental sections, and to each his own regardless, but there is a lot more than "8 minutes on the album where he actually sings." If you are exaggerating to make a point, fair enough. But I think you are otherwise mischaracterizing the album here for anyone who hasn't heard it (or hasn't heard it in ages.)

Side one
    1. "Ocean Song" 3:12 (Instrumental, the only one entirely so)
    2. "Meeting (Garden of Geda)"/"Sound Out the Galleon" 3:28 (Vocals throughout)
    3. "Dance of Ranyart"/"Olias (To Build the Moorglade)" 4:14 (Vocals enter halfway through)
    4. "Qoquaq Ën Transic"/"Naon"/"Transic Tö" 7:03 (Wordless vocals first section, chanting and singing second section)
    5. "Flight of the Moorglade" 3:22 (Vocals throughout)

Side two
    1. "Solid Space" 5:16 (Vocals in middle third)
    2. "Moon Ra"/"Chords"/"Song of Search" 12:48 (Vocals throughout first eight minutes)
    3. "To the Runner" 4:26 (Vocals through first three minutes)

I guess it's odd to me you would single this one album out for criticism, when Anderson has released at least twelve other solo albums that are indeed wall to wall vocals. This one is a bit of celestial cosmic voyage, I'm sure it's not for everyone.

Yes, I suppose my post is a consequence of my home quarantining...

misteranderson and ledsox like this.
  2. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

I like the album “Solid Ground”.

3. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I realize I only know "Animation" from his solo output! And like a lot.
    With the Jon & Vangelis albums, but that's a different thing, I'd say.

MetalGuruMessiah likes this.
  4. MetalGuruMessiah

MetalGuruMessiah Forum Resident

The title track is gorgeous and epic...."As a huge Yes fan, I still think the song as a whole stands with some of their best work.....and I'd go even further by stating the section beginning at 3:50 ("Met me a stranger, he came here to town") stands equal to anything the band ever did...it's extraordinarily beautiful. I still think it's one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard.

Rufus rag and The Bishop like this.
  5. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Yes there are vocals here and there but only 2-3 songs have a lot of vocals. I would rate the Jon & Vangelis 'Friends of Mr. Cairo' a better album especially the title track where in the mellower sections on the title track Jon has never sounded better.

Even Dream with Kitaro where he only sings on 3 songs but those 3 songs are great songs. Btw I was lucky enough to see Jon & Kitaro live in 1992 at Radio City Music Hall, NY. First Jon and his band came out and played for about 35 minutes and then Kitaro came out with his band and played about the same time. Then Jon came on to play with Kitaro and it was amazing. They even played 'Hearts' and Kitaro was tearing it up on the organ.

ceddy10165, Rufus rag and ledsox like this.
  6. SRC

That's cool, man. I can understand some may like Friends of Mr. Cairo better than Olias, I like that one too. I just felt at the time that there are a lot more vocals on Olias than you may remember. I'd be surprised if the album is even 50% instrumental, and minute-for-minute there are probably more vocals on Olias than there are on Relayer or maybe even Fragile. But you may disagree.

But what's cool is that I was at the same show as you in 1992, at Radio City. I had that Kitaro album and enjoyed it also. I remember Kitaro banging on an incredible huge drum at one point in the concert, and me and my buddy were up in the nosebleed seats wearing unwashed denim while everyone else seemed a bit more "together." Good times!

ceddy10165 likes this.
  7. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I'll have to pull out 'Olias' and play it as it's been a long time since I played it. A few interesting bits. The Japan original release of 'Dream' the song 'Agreements" is an instrumental and the Kitaro songs with no vocals use a real orchestra. When the US release came out 'Agreements' had Jon's vocal on it and most of the instrumental tracks were played on keyboards and not an orchestra. There also is a Japan 3 inch CD that has completely different versions of 'Lady of Dreams' and 'Island of Life'

SRC likes this.
  8. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Do you have the Anderson/Ponty CD? Somehow I missed getting it and now it's long OOP. Btw I ripped my 'Olias' CD to my PC and I'm listening to it as I'm typing.

9. SRC

I don't have the Anderson/Ponty, hope to hear it in full some time. That's interesting about the orchestral version of some of the Kitaro stuff, I'd like to seek out those alternate versions.

10. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

It's interesting but on the songs Jon sings they use keyboards and not an orchestra. The other tracks do use an orchestra.

SRC likes this.
  11. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

Long out of print?

There's plenty on ebay.

12. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I'll have to check as I only saw used copies when I searched a few weeks ago.

13. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I just checked and the seller that has new copies I would never buy from as his feedback is terrible.

14. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I couldn't find the full album on Youtube. However I found this.

SteevG likes this.
  15. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

It's funny that just because there's a hit song on Mr. Cairo, it gets more votes then the far superior Short Stories.

DigitalDave74 likes this.
  16. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Absolutely I agree 100%. The part where his kids come in is great.

MetalGuruMessiah likes this.
  17. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I don't think it's just because of the hit but I do like 'Friends' better then 'Short Stories'

18. SRC

Well, to each their own. Short Stories has a few good moments for me, and I dig "I Hear You Now", but overall it's a bit too much improvisational fluff compared to Cairo for me. "I'll Find My Way Home", "State of Independence", and the title track on Cairo are stronger for me than anything on Short Stories. I think I would prefer Private Collection over Short Stories.

19. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

What you call fluff is to me the very essence of what good music is.
    Ok, "State of Independence" ruins it for me.

20. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Fair enough.

Scottb likes this.
  21. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Also 'Outside of This' is a beautiful song.

Rufus rag, SRC and abzach like this.
  22. SRC

Yeah, well that's the point though. We all have our own tastes and opinions.

abzach likes this.
  23. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Of course.

24. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Olias, of course. But saying that, Side 2 of Song Of Seven, is just perfect, with a majestic finale.

I’d say the title track is right up there with Awaken in terms of epics.

Great live show as well, for that tour.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  25. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Nothing wrong with used if it’s a good seller. I have bought loads of them over the years.

ARK and Scottb like this.