Joni Mitchell: "Both Sides Now (2000 Album)" Song by Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Parachute Woman, Jan 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Answer Me, My Love
    Very similar to 'You've Changed' in pretty much every way. Similar lyric (one partner fell out of love with the other). Similar arrangement (orchestral leading to a Wayne Shorter solo). I have pretty much the same reaction. It's fine. Sounds good while I've got it on, but it makes no real impression on me. I don't listen to a lot of vocal jazz (i.e. I don't listen to any vocal jazz, apart from what Joni has done) so this isn't my wheelhouse at all, but it's nice enough. I do prefer the songs like 'Comes Love' that have livelier arrangements with horns.

I can see that this thread isn't popular, but I'm going to keep cruising on as we are so close to the finish line and I am looking forward to wrapping everything up with Shine.

Newton John, HenryFly and Geee! like this.
  2. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

Just dropped in to say hello and let everyone know I’m enjoying listening and reading the comments … I’ve never heard this album before and am going to hold off commenting myself as I know from experience that her music has to sink in to be fully appreciated. Going back and listening to earlier albums made me realize (again) that so much of what she created was simply years ahead of its time.

Newton John, Tommy Jay, jlf and 2 others like this.
  3. Please don't be discouraged @Parachute Woman . ALL of these threads have been amazing. I have honestly just been overwhelmed with Joni Mitchell. I am looking very much forward to reading these final threads, but I need a wee Joni break, to be honest. Actually, from what I have read, I also really want to listen to Travelogue, as well.

4. Parachute Woman

Thanks. :) I definitely understand needing a bit of a break. I'm going to be taking a break from Joni myself after I finish these threads up!

And, yes, Travelogue is definitely worth a listen. Several of the versions on there are even better than the original versions--Cherokee Louise and The Sire of Sorrow, for sure. I don't want to do a thread on it because I don't think there is much to say, but it is a good project.

Newton John likes this.
  5. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

:laughup: :unhunh:

6. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

You like it and I think it's awful. That's all this amounts to. Roll on Travelogue.

Damiano54 likes this.
  7. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

"Answer Me, My Love" is another of my favorites here. We still haven't gotten to the best, though...

8. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

This is up against some stiff competition for once from just across the border in the Iron range. Joni's take is perfect for her needs on this 'story of love' album,
    but for Mr Dylan the song means a lot more, I believe.
    This much less shambolic rendition than otherwise in 1991 (the year of his absolute alcoholic trough) is pretty much as poignant as it gets. Ably supported by Richard Thompson for the one and only time together on stage.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Socalguy likes this.
  9. Parachute Woman

Next we have the first of two reimaginings of Joni Mitchell originals:

Track 6: "A Case of You"

Lyrical Excerpt:
    Just before our love got lost you said
    "I am as constant as a northern star"
    And I said "Constantly in the darkness
    Where's that at?
    If you want me I'll be in the bar"

Complete Lyrics at Joni Mitchell's Official Site

10. Parachute Woman

A Case of You
    Joni so enjoyed doing these new versions of her own songs that they inspired her to make 22 more of them on the Travelogue set. She was obviously pleased with the results as well. I tend to agree with her and I think these first two (A Case of You and Both Sides Now) remained two of the best new orchestral versions even after she made nearly two dozen more. The original version of 'A Case of You' on Blue is perfection and I don't think this version completely reframes the song like the other one of this album, but it is still very beautiful. I love how she phrases the "I could drink a case of you" here in her weathered voice. I love how the orchestra is just doing washes of sound behind her and letting the lyrics and her vocals be the star of the show. It captures the mood of the song--that plaintive longing--extremely well. It's a highlight of the album. It doesn't touch the original for me, but it is a wonderful alternative.

HenryFly likes this.
  11. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

A case of this? I wouldn't want even a bottle of this version. :D

12. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

I'll admit I've listened to this lovely version more than the original over the last few years and from playlists of Joni's 21st Century music that I play on shuffle a lot. It's begun, like the Travelogue versions, to have an independent life of its own for me. There's a tentative, wise sensitivity in the verses and a 'wizened' wryness in the chorus. The slower tempo is supremely important for this and all the other Travelogue songs. I've experimented with the tempi a fair bit when playing the digital files and have settled on a slight further slowing.

Parachute Woman likes this.
  13. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Just simply the last great Joni album to me and one that stands with other Joni favorites of all time.

14. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

Great performance, much prefer it to Joni’s... but couldn’t help thinking it was Adam Sandler doing an impression of Dylan.

HenryFly likes this.
  15. Parachute Woman

Track 7: "Don't Go to Strangers"

by Redd Evans, Arthur Kent, and David Mann

Lyrical Excerpt:
    Build your dreams
    To the stars above
    But when you need someone true to love
    Don't go to strangers
    Lover come to me

Play with fire
    Get your fingers burned
    But when there's no place left to turn
    Don't go to strangers
    Lover come to me

16. Parachute Woman

Don't Go to Strangers
    Pretty good. I like the lyric in the bridge that reads, "I've been around / I'm an old hand" because it works splendidly for Joni's history and the reasons she made this album. She has written so consistently about her search for love (and the love that she found) over her career, and on this album she is the wise sage who has been through it all and is offering her perspective on the trials of love through the songs of others (primarily). It's a nice song and here we enter the second half of the album with songs that mostly reflect upon a love that has ended or is ending.

Planbee likes this.
  17. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Nice version. Tomorrow, we reach the top of the mountain. :)

18. Parachute Woman

Next:

Track 8: "Sometimes I'm Happy"

by Irving Caesar, Clifford Grey, Vincent Youmans

Lyrical Excerpt:
    Sometimes I'm happy
    Sometimes I'm blue
    My disposition depends on you
    I never mind the rain from the skies
    As long as I have the sun in your eyes

Sometimes I love you
    Sometimes I hate you
    When I hate you
    It's because I love you
    That's how I am
    So what can I do
    I'm happy when I'm with you

19. Parachute Woman

Sometimes I'm Happy
    I agree with Planbee that this is one of the absolute highlights of the album. Really strong arrangement and performance from the orchestra (love that piano solo from Herbie Hancock!). It's got movement and it swings and Joni's singing has personality as well. It really lifts things up at this point on the record. As I said, I mostly prefer the more lively songs on this album and 'Sometimes I'm Happy' delivers.

Socalguy, Planbee and HenryFly like this.
  20. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

Is there any live rendition of this out there? Would be great to see the solo on film. She sounds 15 years younger on this one. Not necessarily better though to judge by her 1985 singing.

21. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Yup, this thing swings! Fine Joni vocal, though the lively arrangement also helps make you forget for a few minutes what smoking did to her voice.

As I've mentioned before, this and her two contributions to Hancock's Gershwin's World are my favorite things she did post-Taming. As with "Sometimes I'm Happy", Joni summons up some nice vocals over a bed of stellar music that takes a bit of focus off her.

22. Parachute Woman

There isn't any video on YouTube for this song. You're right, this one does cry out for visuals.

23. My Joni Mitchell fast has ended. I am now listening to this one. Stay tuned...

HenryFly and Parachute Woman like this.
  24. I am not familiar with any of these tracks in their other versions with the exceptions of Joni's own songs & "Stormy Weather".
    I listen to a fair amount of jazz, but rarely vocal jazz & not really much in the way of orchestrated pop.

"You're My Thrill" is, I think, a really nice intro to this collection. "MmmmmmMmmmmmMmmmm" Oh, I do like that bit a lot, & my guess is that it isn't Joni's take but is in the original music. I think the orchestration is nice without being pedestrian or schmaltzy.

"At Last" is very nice, as Parachute said, but then again I have never heard the Etta James version. I do like Joni's reading of this one. I like her lower registers. I'm not sure I like how she eats the penultimate line, though.

"Comes Love" is a really fun song lyrically with a playful arrangement. Not cheesy though, which it could be quite easily. Lyrically, I think it's clever to compare love to all these things which are considered to be hassles & problems.

"You've Changed" is fine. I love the violin prior to the sax solo & sure do wish it had continued as a solo violin.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    Parachute Woman and HenryFly like this.
  25. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

'Sometimes I'm Happy' is where we're up to, right? First heard this on a Sarah Vaughan compilation, recorded with Ernie Wilkins Orchestra in 1955 and I think Joni's is more to my taste even than Miss Divine's
    here it is for comparison:

Anyone know if Joni has mentioned Sarah Vaughan in interviews at all?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.