Joy Division/New Order Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Havoc, Mar 20, 2018.

1. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

My first live New Order gig was at the Hollywood Palladium during the Brotherhood tour. Bernie was especially...surly. Quite the potty-mouth on stage which actually detracted from the performance. I recall this was toned down a bit a year or two later when New Order toured with Echo & The Bunnymen and Gene Loves Jezebel. I feel as if I saw the young and raw New Order followed by the start of the more polished version that continues to date.

As for the books, I have the Sumner HC and found him to be surprisingly likable and actually quite gracious to Peter Hook. I never compared which came first but I hear there is a lot of venom in Hook's memoir.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    Surly likes this.
  2. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Newbie here, looking forward to this thread.

blaken123 likes this.
  3. mcwlod

mcwlod Outside Looking In

Got really into Joy Division after a friend of mine gave me a Ian Curtis biography. Big fan ever since! All this pain and emotions in Curtis voice and of course his lyrics helped me a lot during my teenage-angst years.
    Sooo many singers imitating more or less Curtis since....

Rocat and Front 242 Addict like this.
  4. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Hmm, I also prefer Closer (his voice is so beautiful on much of it), but Atrocity Exhibition has always annoyed me for some reason, whereas I want to skip nothing on Unknown Pleasures when I put it on.

CaptainFeedback1 and Neonbeam like this.
  5. BlueSpeedway

Have you seen what just an original fine condition Sordide Sentimental single costs? Even before vinyl got really hip, it was hundreds of $ / £ / € / ¥. Goodness knows what it’s worth now! :)

vonwegen, johnnybrum, JeffMo and 2 others like this.
  6. BlueSpeedway

Front 242 Addict and blaken123 like this.
  7. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer Forum Resident

Different pressings yes. Some I have sold, including that +- deluxe singles box set, the SQ which I thought was rather disappointing

Cds
    [​IMG]

Vinyls

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Absolutely. What they did was very clever. Quite basic rock but with real sense of tension and dynamics. Very profound lyrics and vocal delivery from the extraodinary Ian Curtis.

Yes, once JD perfected their sound and ambience, I remember that it was quickly picked up by U2, Ultravox and Simple Minds for example.
    The magnificent "Atmosphere" was hugely influential (leading to U2's "One", "With Or Without You" and Ultravox's "Vienna",...).

Unknown Pleasures remains my favourite album by the band.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  9. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

"Overrated"? I think I might not want to follow this thread any closer:biglaugh:

10. Neonbeam

Dave Decadent and BlueSpeedway like this.
  11. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Pretty easy to collect, two albums and I believe 4 singles :laugh: . The 12 inch for Innocence contains a nice b- Satisfied.
    Their old website had a bunch of demo's and soundtrack bits one could DL for free, very nice :)

12. BlueSpeedway

I hear Joy Division in U2 much earlier than One, don’t you?

I remember reading somewhere that Bono was obsessed with Curtis in the late 70s, even more so when he died. Obsessed is a strong word, but I did read it, can’t remember where or who.

13. BlueSpeedway

Yeah. Even though I’ve seen / had some incredible vinyl bargains over the past 38 years buying, selling, losing, swapping, etc etc, that is one record that I am content to only have a fake of!

The closest I got to an affordable real one was around 2005, £20 for an absolutely trashed one. Would have got it if only the record was trashed, but the sleeve looked like discarded litter picked up from the sidewalk: stained and torn.

Neonbeam likes this.
  14. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Thank goodness I'm not a completist or a collector!!

I am a fan though and will enjoy this thread.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  15. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

I'm a real latecomer to New Order, having only started listening to them maybe 5-6 years ago. Joy Division has been on my radar even longer but something about Ian's voice always put me off. I had a copy of Closer, but rarely listened to it. I ended up selling it. An off chance listen to a Spotify station and I'm really liking an unknown song. Turns out it's a song from Unknown Pleasures! I immediately bought the album and somehow prefer it to Closer. But I'll be buying that album again to see if I'm in "the mood" for it.

Regarding New Order - just a brilliant group, and very different in character from their previous work. I admit it took me a long time to get into them - mostly my teenage bias at play - since I considered them "music that fake punks listen to". Same with The Cure, The Smiths, OMD, etc - the sort of music that I wasn't interested in when I was an angry young man since I was more into hardcore or even stranger alternative music (think Rowland S. Howard or Lydia Lunch). But I've come a long way since those days and now absolutely love this kind of music. So looking forward to this thread.

DHamilton and JeffMo like this.
  16. BlueSpeedway

Yeah, I often think what a nightmare certain bands must be to collect now, with soaring vinyl prices - JD one of the worst, despite their small catalogue.

c-eling and JeffMo like this.
  17. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Beautiful artwork there thanks to Saville - definitely part of the JD/NO appeal for many us!

I’m getting ahead on the thread here, but don’t Still and Substance comps round up all the loose ends from the JD singles and EPs?

18. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yes, even in things like "New Year's Day" I suppose, though there is more melody in that. Probably in U2's earlier stuff but I'm not familiar with their early albums and singles.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  19. BlueSpeedway

I haven’t heard the early stuff for ages (I was a fan as a kid but I can’t deal with them for many years now), the title track of October in particular I remember as very JD to me, but it was more an overall thing, not necessarily a bad thing though, kind of like Bauhaus 1979-1983 and Bowie / Iggy / VU, it’s running through everything.

blaken123 likes this.
  20. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

I first saw New Order in 83. Second time was in 2012. Both the band and myself had changed quite a bit. :laugh:

21. Rgfinch

Rgfinch King Rocky

If you're fond of Mr Savile's work, try this book. Some beautiful stuff in there.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Factory-Re...&qid=1521642981&sr=1-1&keywords=factory+album

22. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Surly likes this.
  23. Neonbeam

A friend knows that guy that he don't particularly likes but from time to time he reminds me that X may be "an ***hole but he has got an 'Ideal For Living'!" (whispered) "An original 'Ideal For Living'!"

It's one of those records! :evil:

24. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

marmalade166 likes this.
  25. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

Atmosphere is amazing song filled with hypnotic sadness, the gorgeous sounds! the touching vocals.

When I was 17 we had every friday in school an hour which everyone brought a song we like,
    we listened and talked about it, in one of these times I played Atmosphere ,
    lots of the pupils had very open mind regarding the music and some were familiar with the band.

When I been asked to describe how do I interpret the music I answered that the music sounds to me like the last voice/words of a dying star in a far away planet, and before he vanishes for eternity he gives the most stunning, Glorious and beautiful show, the song is his last and final goodbye.
    Hard to describe how brilliant this song is.

Unknown Pleasures and Closer , I love them exactly as I loved them back then

Rocat, andy75, vonwegen and 7 others like this.