Joy Division/New Order Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Havoc, Mar 20, 2018.

1. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Interesting they had a full length Best & Marsh and a edit. The full length could of easily fit on a 7.

negative1 likes this.
  2. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

The final 12 inch remix of Round and round, another good one:

later

Fruff76 likes this.
  3. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

Song 05 - Guilty Partner

Another more rock sounding track, with rather
    subdued breathy vocals from bernard on the beginning of this track.

Unfortunately, the lyrics are basically another relationship
    gone wrong song, where bernard growls through parts of it.

There's not really any standout parts during the song,
    as it pretty much stays at a constant pace throughout.

This would be the last track to close out side A of the album.

There are no edits, remixes for this track.

Ranked 109 (tied with 3 others) /112
    with 2 times played live on Setlist.Fm

Rating - 1/5

later

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  4. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Guilty Partner is a solid little filler track. Nothing special, but it's nice to have on in the background.

5. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

I agree about the filler part, but I guess most other people feel the same way.

They rarely if ever played it live, and again they don't mention this song,
    or the album very much, except for the few singles.

I'll keep going, as there some other singles and mixes released from this album.

But not many people are rating the songs, so it's not very useful to gauge the songs.

later

6. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

True, it's about 1 minute longer than the edit, will discuss it during the b-sides:

later

7. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

3 out of 5

8. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

I do hope you keep going; I'm always happy to talk about JD/NO with fellow fans!

The only reason I don't rate the songs is because of my own personal idiosyncrasies...I've found that if I assign numerical values to songs/albums, it taints my future enjoyment of the tracks. "Oh, I gave this 5/5 before...well, it'd better live up to that this time around!" It's better to stick to more qualitative assessments, at least for weirdos like me. ;)

9. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

It’s hard for me to really rate the tracks on this album because I kind of view it as a whole. I may be the odd one out here, but I think it all fits as one cohesive album. I think it was the right album at the right time for me.

Disco Robot and DirkM like this.
  10. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

no worries people.

i just thought it would be a fun thing to do, and it worked in the talk talk, and duran duran threads.
    (maybe if this was new new, or order order thread ha ha).... but there were more people over there
    participating.

i used to rate things for myself in the past, and then stopped, but have started again, due to some
    of the other threads.

it is fun to see where other people put things,
    and since i'm a math guy. i like posting charts, stats etc.

later

DirkM likes this.
  11. whatwhat

whatwhat Forum Resident

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  12. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

I'm with you here, albeit for (most likely) a very different reason. When I first heard Technique, I thought that half of the tracks were amazing and that the other half were utter crap. I still have a personal hierarchy of "amazing" as opposed to "not amazing" that strongly correlates to my initial impressions, but after listening to the album in its entirety many, many times, I've grown to appreciate it as a whole. The lesser tracks help to prop up the better tracks for me, and in a weird way, I like the fact that I only really love half of the album. It makes me want to keep playing it, to hear my favourite tracks again, and to (maybe) hear something great in the other songs that I haven't heard before. I tend to enjoy flawed albums, since they hold out the promise of something that I have yet to appreciate...and Technique works well in that regard. It's far from a "perfect" album, but I love it almost as much as my very favourite albums...if that makes any sense.

Fruff76 and negative1 like this.
  13. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

Song 06 - Run

Released as Run 2, as a single:

Run 2

"Run 2"
    [​IMG]
    Single by New Order
    from the album Technique
    B-side
    "MTO"
    Released 28 August 1989
    Format 12", 7"
    Recorded 1988 at Mediterranean Studios, Ibiza, and Real World Studios, Box
    Genre Alternative rock, Techno
    Length 3:45

Label Factory - FAC 273
    Songwriter(s) John Denver, Gillian Gilbert, Peter Hook, Stephen Morris, Bernard Sumner[1]
    Producer(s) New Order

New Order singles chronology
    "Round & Round"
    (1989) "Run 2"
    (1989) "World in Motion"
    (1990)
    "Run 2" was New Order's third and final single from their 1989 album Technique. The album version was listed as simply "Run".

Overview

"Run 2" was remixed by Scott Litt from the version on Technique, hence the appendage of "2" to the title. The main difference is that the song has been made more radio-friendly by editing down most of the long instrumental run-out and appending it with a final repeat of the chorus. Litt's mix strips back much of the echo and layers of synthesizers, and in place centres the mix on Sumner's vocal and the bass guitar of Peter Hook. Despite the effort taken to produce a radio single, only 20,000 of the Factory 12" release were ever pressed. 500 7-inch records were also pressed, for promotional use. The single was only released in the UK.

John Denver's publishing company filed a lawsuit, alleging that the guitar break in "Run" too closely resembled Denver's "Leaving on a Jet Plane".[2]The case was settled out of court. The song has since been credited to New Order and John Denver.

"Run 2" is backed with the B-side titled "MTO". This song recycles the line "You've got love technique" from the group's previous hit single "Fine Time" (this is the only lyric in the track). An extended mix of "Run 2" with additional beats by Afrika Islam and an alternate 'minus' mix of "MTO" by Mike "Hitman" Wilson appear as B-sides on the 12" version of the single.

Artwork
    Peter Saville, the single's cover designer, claimed to have been inspired by the design of laundry powder packaging. The tiny print on the back of the sleeve says, "Cover by Peter Saville Associates after Bold."

Track listing
    7": FAC 273-7 (UK)
    No.
    Title Writer(s) Length
    1. "Run 2" (Remixed by Scott Litt) John Denver, Gillian Gilbert, Peter Hook, Stephen Morris and Bernard Sumner 3:45
    2. "MTO" (Remixed by Mike 'Hitman' Wilson) Gilbert, Hook, Morris, Sumner 3:43

12": FAC 273-12 (UK)
    No.
    Title Writer(s) Length
    1. "Run 2" (Remixed by Scott Litt) Denver, Gilbert, Hook, Morris, Sumner 3:45
    2. "Run 2" (extended version) (Remixed by Scott Litt) Denver, Gilbert, Hook, Morris, Sumner 5:22
    3. "MTO" (Remixed by Mike 'Hitman' Wilson) Gilbert, Hook, Morris, Sumner 3:43
    4. "MTO" (Minus Mix) (Remixed by Mike 'Hitman' Wilson) Gilbert, Hook, Morris, Sumner 5:24
    ===============

not really a favorite of mine, a rather slow ballady song,
    with mostly guitars, the remix didn't add much to it.

i know people have commented on the song already, but feel free to re-iterate your thoughts
    about it.

run - 1/5

later

14. Hush

Hush "Fate, up against your will"

While Run is a decent enough tune, it's for me anyway, one of the weaker songs on Technique. I prefer the album version to the remix, the single version doesn't really do much for me.

3/5

rararabbits likes this.
  15. SteveCooks

SteveCooks Senior Member

i LOVE it. SOLAR guitar sound.
    Every song on Technique is perfect anyway ! I prefer the album version too. What did Scott Litt remix did to Nirvana and New Order songs ? Not much...
    The video is absolute garbage though. Barney is dancing the Hacienda way which doesn't fit with the song, and looks out of fashion, do you hear the bell cow in the song ? The hispanic crowd, the little girl, the middle age man, what were they thinking ?

Please let the sole music have a dream.

5/5

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  16. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I know you want us to rate and rank the songs, but I can't do that for art like it is a soccer standings table. You can guess how I feel about Grammy Awards too!

I prefer Run2 over Run, and I will be a lone voice that really likes "Guilty Partner". It was shocking they pulled that tune out for a couple gigs during the '98 comeback.

17. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

==
    Love Guilty Partner, love the synths that come in towards the end!

JeffMo, c-eling and Figure of Eight like this.
  18. Figure of Eight

Figure of Eight Forum Resident

"Guilty Partner" is one of my favourite tracks on Technique, really love the way that the backing is essentially a slickly produced Joy Division with Spanish guitar. Excellent chorus, too.

Bluepicasso, JeffMo and rararabbits like this.
  19. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

I’d give Run a 4/5 as I feel it is a highlight of the album. But I agree with most of the posters so far who feel that the album version is better than the single mix or any of the remixes.

20. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

I wouldn't consider Run "slow" or "ballady," but that's just me. I've always found it to be a thrilling, propulsive pop song. It's definitely my favourite song from Technique.

Run 2 is a massive disappointment. It somehow manages to take everything good about the song and make it seem mediocre.

21. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Why did they feel they had to do this? They didn’t put out “Round & Round 2” or “”Bizarre Love Triangle 2”...

22. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

actually, they do it,
    but with years:
    ------------------------
    1963-94 (or 94 album mix) 3:47 v, cd, cs
    1963-95 (or arthur baker remix) 4:04 v, cd, cs

bizarre love triangle-94 3:54 v, cd, cs

blue monday 1988 (or -88)(7") 4:10 v, cd, cdv, cs
    blue monday 1988 (12" or remix) 7:09 v, cd, cdv, cs
    blue monday 1988 (dub version) 7:16 v, cd

blue monday 95(or original radio edit)4:08 v, cs
    blue monday 95 (andrea mix) 8:26 v, cd, cs
    blue monday 95
    (brain mix or corleone mix) 5:24 v, cd
    blue monday 95 (hardfloor dub) 8:16 cd
    blue monday 95
    (hardfloor mix or vocal) 8:34 v, cd, cs
    blue monday 95 (hardfloor radio edit) 4:14 v, cd, cs
    blue monday 95 (hawtin mix) 8:02 cd, cs
    blue monday 95 (manuela mix) 7:29 v, cd, cs
    blue monday 95 (plutome dub) 4:46 v
    blue monday 95 (plutone mix) 6:29 v, cd, cs
    blue monday 95
    (plutone radio edit or 7") 3:47 cd
    blue monday 95 (starwash mix) 5:38 v, cd, cs

round & round-94 3:59 v, cd, cs

true faith-94 (best of or 94 remix) 5:34 v, cd, cs
    true faith-94 (eschreamer dub) 7:47 v
    true faith-94 (eschreamer mix) 7:44 v
    true faith-94 (perfecto mix) 6:23 v, cd
    true faith-94 (perfecto radio edit) 4:05 cd
    true faith-94 (remix) 4:41 cd
    true faith-94 (sexy disco dub) 5:48 v
    true faith-94 (twa grim up north mix) 6:11 v, cd
    true faith-94 (us best of or
    radio mix/edit) 4:28 v, cd, cs

true faith 2001 (morel's calling
    shifty dub) 7:22 v, cd
    true faith 2001 (morel's extra dub) 8:24 v, cd
    true faith 2001 (morel's pink noise
    club mix) 8:50 v, cd
    i've taken too much dub) 6:48 v, cd
    remix edit) 4:32 ra, cd
    my fear of dub mix) 5:45 cd
    true faith 2001 (philip steir
    re-order mix) 8:12 v, cd
    true faith 2001 (philip steir dub) 8:14 v, cd
    true faith 2001 (philip steir
    re-order remix edit) 5:45 ra, cd

world in motion'96 (mark bell remix) 4:56 cd
    ===================================

later

Echoes Myron likes this.
  23. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Wasn’t really necessary to go to all that work but... They did that when they put out remixes years later but not when they did remixed single versions at the time the albums were out.

24. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

Remix of Run 2:

There were promo mixes on cassette:

This was mentioned on the Power of Independent Trucking blog

"In the summer of 1989 Warner Brothers US was circulating three different in-house promo cassettes featuring mixes of Run 2 and it's B-side MTO. While the single proper will be posted here in just a few entries, TPOIT has compiled all three of these cassettes into one FLAC bundle, including a beautiful instrumental mix."

Code:
    3:38 New Order - Run 2 (WB in-house cassettes) - 01 - Run 2 (7 inch edited master, 26 June 89)
    4:12 New Order - Run 2 (WB in-house cassettes) - 02 - Run 2 (unedited old arrangement, 26 June 89)
    4:27 New Order - Run 2 (WB in-house cassettes) - 03 - Run 2 (instrumental, 26 June 89)
    3:40 New Order - Run 2 (WB in-house cassettes) - 04 - Run 2 (7 inch original mix, 14 July 89)
    3:40 New Order - Run 2 (WB in-house cassettes) - 05 - Run 2 (7 inch remix, 14 July 89)
    5:25 New Order - Run 2 (WB in-house cassettes) - 06 - Run 2 (12 inch remix, 14 July 89)
    3:46 New Order - Run 2 (WB in-house cassettes) - 07 - MTO (10 August 89)
    5:30 New Order - Run 2 (WB in-house cassettes) - 08 - MTO minus mix (10 August 89)

later

Echoes Myron likes this.
  25. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Unknown Pleasures was released 40 years ago today.