Joy Division on CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by antonkk, Aug 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

so these are being reissued and remastered next month; I could have sworn i read on here that steve did the vinyl versions; is this true, and did he also do the cds?

2. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Steve did not mention CD's so it is probably just the LP's...

3. red corner

red corner Forum Resident

from www.remembertheeighties.com

JOY DIVISION are to have their entire back catalogue reissued in September with a number of tracks being made available for the very first time. The September 10th releases will feature "Unknown Pleasures", "Closer" and "Still" each expanded with live tracks and the albums preced a reissue of the band's classic "Love Will Tear Us Apart" single on September 17th.

4. red corner

red corner Forum Resident

More news can be found here:

http://www.tinymixtapes.com/Joy-Division-Reissues-Due-In

Joy Division Reissues Due In September; Aged Music Writers Still Find
    Unknown Pleasures In Dusting Off Terrible References During Their Transmissions

Since Anton Corbijn is expecting to release a film about Ian Curtis in October, what better timing than to release shiny new editions of timeless post-punk classics? Unknown Pleasures (1979), Closer (1980), and Still (1981) will re-arrive to record stores on September 10 (UK) and September 11 (U.S.), each brandishing a cool bonus live disc. Hopefully each of these discs will showcase the group’s better concerts, as Joy Division was rather notorious for being an unpredictable live act.

But enough blah-blah; here’s a tracklisting for each of the forthcoming bonus discs. I won’t bore you by typing out the songs from the albums, as you likely are already familiar. If you’re not, then, well, you need to put down that damn Franz Ferdinand record and get listening to some Joy Division pretty soon, sweetheart.

Unknown Pleasures bonus disc (Live At Factory and The Moonlight Club):
    Dead Souls
    The Only Mistake
    Insight
    Candidate
    Wilderness
    She's Lost Control
    Shadowplay
    Disorder
    Interzone
    Atrocity Exhibition
    Novelty
    Transmission
    Novelty (mono)
    Transmission (mono)
    Love Will Tear Us Apart
    Glass

Closer bonus disc (Live at ULU):
    Dead Souls
    Glass
    A Means To An End
    24 Hours
    Shadowplay
    Insight
    Colony
    These Days
    Love Will Tear Us Apart
    Isolation
    The Eternal
    Digital

Still bonus disc (Live At High Wycombe):
    Isolation
    The Eternal
    Ice Age
    Disorder
    The Sound Of Music
    The Eternal
    The Sound Of Music (soundcheck)
    Means To An End
    Colony
    24 Hours
    Isolation
    Love Will Tear Us Apart
    Disorder
    Atrocity Exhibition

5. Now we sit back and wait nervously to find out who's mastering these and what kind of a job they do...

6. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

"Now we sit back and wait nervously to find out who's buying these and what kind of a job they do... selling their original CD's for us to pick up CHEAP!!!"
    :D

7. donunus

donunus Cheapskate Audiophile and Massive Music Lover

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I couldn't find a thread dedicated to the most recent 2cd remasters. Are they better than the original CDs?

8. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

oh god no. as much as I hate saying this, they are brickwalled beyond all recognition. no improvement in quality to speak of. the only difference is that they're a whole lot louder than the originals.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  9. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Stick with the original CD's or the Heart and Soul box, the collectors editions were huge disappointments for me soundwise.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  10. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

The org. Factory CD have nice art work and great sound. Same is true of the New Order Cds.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  11. donunus

donunus Cheapskate Audiophile and Massive Music Lover

Thanks Guys

12. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

In terms of brickwalling, they're not as bad as some offenders (They are not completely compressed). Example from Still below (Exercise One).

Attached Files:

13. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

The original Japan market CD issues have the finest sound quality as far as I'm concerned. Additionally, it is likely easier to find UP and Closer in the 25CY series than the MPO/France discs. You will also likely love Substance catalog 30CY-2281.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  14. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

The Heart & Soul box is dirt cheap on Amazon.co.uk right now.

15. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I know this is the most recent remaster and it's probably loud, but at $18.00 shipped, it's a bit hard to resist.

16. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

heart and soul isn't the most recent remaster, it's the previous one to the most recent ones everyone complains about (I think the new ones are ok myself). but yeah, there is no reason not to buy heart and soul, it's a great collection. annoying how it broke up the album flow, but still essential.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  17. ralphb

I've got most of the vinyl (I could kick myself for selling off that Sordide Sentimental years ago, but I needed the cash), but having everything in one place at that price is a no brainer.

18. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

? - 'Unknown Pleasures' and 'Closer' are intact in their original running order on HAS; same flow as every other release. Only 'Substance' and 'Still' are shuffled (back) around.

There's no LP or single cover art to be found anywhere in the box, however. That's unbelievably unforgivable.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  19. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

You can buy the H&S box with confidence, it's louder than the original CD's but nowhere near as loud as the collectors editions.
    I've enjoyed listening to it for a good few years now.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  20. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

That's interesting about Substance, because I don't like my Factory CD (or vinyl) of Substance. The tracks sound nothing like those I have on original vinyl or as good as Unknown Pleasures or Closer Factory CDs, I wonder why the Japanese sounds better?

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  21. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

22. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

The Joy Division box available now is a 2008 reissue, packaged differently from the original box, and may very well be remastered as well.

It sure is cheap now, that's for sure!

23. ralphb

That's what I'm assuming, but for that price I'll take the chance.

24. This Japanese Box of CDs has my favourite sound for Joy Division:-

http://www.discogs.com/Joy-Division-1977-1980/release/2014714

...not sure if the mastering is the same as the individual Jap discs you mention. However, the recent bootleg project Recycle quoted this Japanese Box as having the best sound and I agree. Closer in particular sounds much better here in this set. The sound overall is better than my UK Factory CDs (bought in the week of release).

25. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

The Japan box, which is an unattainable "holy grail" of mine, came along in 1991. The original Japan pressings in the CY series are from 1988. I'd think the same masterings were used because they were as near perfect as I can imagine the first time around.

If anyone has the Japan box and can rip into flac file (I need the tags for my system), then I'd love to hear a track each from UP, Closer and Substance.

jsayers and marcfeld69 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.