Joy Division on CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by antonkk, Aug 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Which version, the Pennine or the Brittana Row take?

2. Astiocles

Astiocles Forum Resident

This would be the Brittana Row version.

3. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

It does. That link is broken in your old post.

http://www.neworderonline.com/

4. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

What can I say? I have a lot of catching up to do ...

5. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

6. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Don't worry about it, when I read it I had to try and remember what the heck I was talking about... :laugh:

7. marcfeld69

I'm not surprised!

8. marcfeld69

Hmm. I don't think anyone here has mentioned the Japan POCD series for UP and Closer. Any reason to think they are different masterings from the harder-to-get CY series? The POCDs are definitely more common. You would think there are unremastered and surely should be the same mastering as the CYs (?).

http://www.discogs.com/Joy-Division-Unknown-Pleasures/release/1204857

I have the CY for Closer and, to follow STV terminology, it nukes the 2008 remaster! And that's on my extremely low-end Denon.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  9. George P

George P Notable Member

My copy of Unknown Pleasures - Quest US 9 25841-2 arrived today. Sounds amazing and only cost me $3.00 in Like New condition. I thought I'd share the amazon link here in case others wanted to grab a copy:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000002LGL/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My Closer original Qwest should be here soon. Judging from my other original Qwest Joy Division CDs, I expect it to sound great!

Front 242 Addict and c-eling like this.
  10. marcfeld69

Hey, good for you. I tracked down the Japan CYs for Closer and UP and they are great. Now what to do …?

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  11. George P

George P Notable Member

I can say that the Qwest Unknown Pleasures does not have any compression, unlike the FACT 10 CD. If the Japan uses the Qwest mastering, I think you've got a winner!

EAC numbers for the original US Qwest CD are 83.8, 78.5, 78.4, 78.7, 75.8, 80.4, 87.2, 80.5, 79.8, 75.7

EAC numbers for the FACT 10 CD are 100% for all ten tracks.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  12. marcfeld69

Thanks. I am not into or capable of the EAC no.s, but useful to get them from you; there was a member who was ecstatic (no exaggeration) about the Japan CYs, and I was lucky to get them. They of course nuke the remasters but I can't remember how they are compared to the QWests. At least, I didn't realise the QWests were one of the better masterings (if they're indeed different). Surprised the FACT10 (can that be an early pressing?) gets such high peaks, though.

13. marcfeld69

14. George P

George P Notable Member

Yes, that's the one. What I have is a copy, but it was made from that one.

15. marcfeld69

I'm bumping this for comparison's sake ...

16. marcfeld69

Right: see the post I just bumped. Elsewhere in this thread someone does say that the FACT10 is a second choice.

17. George P

George P Notable Member

Yes, the research I have been doing with a friend who owns these CDs does not confirm drewc's findings. There are different EAC numbers for the FACT and Qwest CDs of Closer as well.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  18. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Which makes sense, neworder quest are eq'd differently from the Fact UK also, That US Quest is a nice sounding cd :)

Front 242 Addict and marcfeld69 like this.
  19. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks, so the the US Qwest Closer sounds good?

20. c-eling

It was stolen a few years ago, grrrr, but similar sounding eq wise if I remember correctly, I need to search one out again, my want list is huge, trying to prioritize, lol
    Edit, I still have the Quest Unknown Pleasures, never needed to seek out another edition as I think that one sounds great, but it sounded the same as Closer

21. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Best sounding version of that song not on the original Factory 12" single, perhaps.

The online "recycle" fan remasterings of the Joy Division and New Order material are the gold standard for this material in the digital realm, at least compared to the CDs I've heard.

22. George P

George P Notable Member

I completely understand. :agree:

Great!

23. c-eling

24. George P

George P Notable Member

Correction: The numbers given above are a bit off because they were obtained via XLD and I had to round the numbers. The numbers for Closer were obtained I got a few wrong. Just ripped my Qwest US CD for Unknown Pleasures (matrix number 1 25840-2 RE-1 01 M1S1) using EAC and got these numbers:

83.8, 78.5, 78.4, 78.7, 75.7, 80.4, 87.2, 80.4, 79.8, 75.7

Do they match yours now, c-eling?

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  25. vpvi26

vpvi26 Forum Resident

Your Qwest US CD doesn't match the Japan Factory 25CY-3101.
    EAC numbers come as this : 79.5 %, 85.6 %, 100.0 %, 99.9 %, 100.0 %, 90.2 %, 86.9 %, 99.6 %, 100.0 %, 100.0 %

Front 242 Addict and marcfeld69 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.