Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures 40th Anniversary Limited Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bettsaj, May 8, 2019.

1. Neve 8078

Neve 8078 Member

It always seems a bit daft to me to break the AAA chain on these remasters; i know at Abbey Rd they 9/10 these days take a 96/24 pcm from the original 2-track master.
    I know they use Benchmark A to D's there, but unless you're doing a 1/2 speed master (which opens a can of worms with de-essing and A80 roll-off), and the 2-track master is in good shape, it should be relatively easy to go A80 to VMS 80 lathe... thus preserving that precious analogue chain...

c-eling likes this.
  2. Robert C

Robert C Sound Archivist

Yeah, no problem! Just play those masters over and over again for small run reissues. Made a cutting error? No worries! Just play the tape again. Machine need calibrating? Not an issue. The tech is on their way. Tape head worn out? Why, just buy some more with the next order of NAB adaptors.

Neonbeam and c-eling like this.
  3. c-eling

c-eling Love has no date of expiration...

:laugh:

Neonbeam likes this.
  4. Neve 8078

Neve 8078 Member

1. bake the original
    2. slow re-spool tail out.
    3. check the a80's for head wear.
    4. calibrate in advance.
    5. check the vms 80 in advance.
    6. make a one gen removed - a80 to a80 to a brand new tape.
    7. get a good mastering tech.
    8. cut once - job done.

you normally have one shot when going direct to vinyl, so if you've got a competent, professional crew, you can do it...

the advantage of going to 96/24 pcm first is if you're really, really sure the original will not take the above and if you figure there's a load of clicks, pops & drop outs - which will be easier to correct in the digital domain.

de-essing and a-80 LF roll-off shouldn't be an issue unless you're going for a 1/2 speed...

patient_ot likes this.
  5. Robert C

Robert C Sound Archivist

So you want two A80s. A well paid technician with an HND Electrical and Electronic Engineering qualification. A transfer engineer. A cutting engineer. High quality tape stock.

Sorry but it just isn't going to happen.

The advantage of going to 24/96 is that you can make a transfer of the master (or whatever constitutes the master nowadays) and use it over and over again without degradation. What you're proposing is incredibly risky, expensive, and will result in the finished product being even further removed from the original.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    c-eling and mr.datsun like this.
  6. Neve 8078

Neve 8078 Member

@Robert C "The Beatles in Mono"

7. Robert C

Robert C Sound Archivist

You're comparing the popularity and potential sales return (not to mention the archival health) of The Beatles to Joy Division?

Big Blue likes this.
  8. Neve 8078

Neve 8078 Member

I'm just saying if you put your mind to it, it can be done... it's not rocket science... and "unknown pleasures" is just as seminal a 1st album as those by the beatles, velvet underground and the stone roses...

ghoulsurgery and jimhb like this.
  9. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I was thinking last night.. why not just go for the best pressing possible now? I mean, the original tapes have so long they can last, so, instead of them slowly degrading, why not create the best possible pressing now? One can dream, right?

c-eling likes this.
  10. c-eling

c-eling Love has no date of expiration...

Labels don't want to give up their 'Golden Goose' ...:winkgrin:
    I'm a firm believer in this thought.

jimhb likes this.