Joy Division Unknown Pleasures 40th Anniversary "limited" vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimhb, May 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident Thread Starter

Droogmeister likes this.
  2. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I am more than fine with my original FACTUS pressing in textured sleeve. And the "She's Lost Control" 12" too!

GyroSE and jimhb like this.
  3. Warrenville33

Warrenville33 Forum Resident

Mastering is same as 2007 mastering... Up on Amazon UK already

4. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident Thread Starter

Re-issue! Re-package! Re-package!

5. Droogmeister

Droogmeister Welcome to the Atrocity Exhibition

Can't resist, pre ordered and more than happy to add this to my collection.

I find it interesting that this was chosen to be pressed on ruby red vinyl, the original 1st pressing (black vinyl) when held up to a light shows a ruby red colour.

TheKevster and jimhb like this.
  6. Warrenville33

Warrenville33 Forum Resident

What they should have done in tandem with this excellent packaging is use an all-analog needle-drop mastering of the Porky Factory UK cut. THAT would have made this release even more interesting...

DHamilton likes this.
  7. steviebee

steviebee Always playing Ese and The Vooduu People

Hmmm...red vinyl and a T shirt, no new mastering? Pass. I'll stick to my hold-it-up-to-the-light first press.

But...any young'uns who don't have this...get a slice!

jimhb likes this.
  8. Droogmeister

You can order the vinyl on its own, I don't need another T shirt but I do need this 40th anniversary edition.

£18.99 at Vinyltap, which I personally feel is a rather reasonable price.

steviebee likes this.
  9. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Terrible. Really. F- up one of the most iconic covers of all time? Gimmicky coloured vinyl? That’s how the anniversary gets celebrated?

Man at C&A, sathvyre, OldSoul and 2 others like this.
  10. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Is it actually confirmed that the very first UK pressing was translucent? Because a couple of years ago several people claimed that translucent Factory discs didn't start before 1980. Any. Way. I'm happy with my Porky 1979 original.

11. Droogmeister

I've not got my original any longer so I can't check, looked into this a bit though and it does seem that the very first UK pressings were solid black.

Dave Decadent and Neonbeam like this.
  12. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

new interview with Hooky, sadly things are still bad within the band.

13. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

The first UK pressings were either black or trans red depending on where they were pressed..... The black pressings used the same plates even though they were likely pressed a few months after the initial run of red pressings..... They're both first pressings regardless of when they were pressed... It's all in the stamper numbers.

14. Chris Treece

Chris Treece Forum Resident

The original design concept for the cover was black print on white, so there is some heritage there.

Droogmeister and GyroSE like this.
  15. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

will be interesting to hear reports on the new issue. ...coming this week!

16. bettsaj

It's nothing special..... It's using the 2007 remasters

c-eling likes this.
  17. bettsaj

I don't think the 1st pressing Porky plates exist anymore..... they were likely destroyed when they made the 2nd press plates

18. Neonbeam

They were used quite a lot so I think it's safe to say that one day they simply were worn out?

bettsaj and c-eling like this.
  19. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Probably. Erasure's latest campaign used the original's. The Innocents sounded like absolute garbage probably due to this.

pwhytey likes this.
  20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Translucent red UK vinyl was pressed by a company called Tranco throughout most of the 70s and early 80s. It's mostly seen on albums on the Pye label and Elton John's 70s albums. I have the translucent red Unknown Pleasures and unusually, AC/DC Back In Black too, which must have been a contract pressing. There are a lot of 45s on translucent red vinyl too. I'm pretty sure my Transmission 45 is one.

The vinyl was never marketed as translucent red and I'm not convinced that many people gave it any thought at the time. It's just the vinyl formulation that pressing plant mostly used. I'm not sure when Factory started using it, but my Unknown Pleasures came from a collection with lots of other first pressing LPs from that era. I'm almost certain it's original.

Willowman and Neonbeam like this.
  21. bettsaj

Yeah, hence the remaster for the second run of pressings. It's highly unlikely that they could ever repress Unknown Pleasures from a Porky Cut as they just don't exist anymore. Not unless they got george out of retirement to remaster them, but even then what he'd do now would likely be different to what he did then sonically.

Now, if they could source a mint unplayed Porky Cut they could likely make a new Father plate from that, and then subsequently a new Mother..... Not sure if this has ever been done before. in theory it's possible. Quality wouldn't be very good though I suspect.

22. Neonbeam

Well.... you could needledrop a Porky cut and I guess if you use a flawless copy, high end equipment, a strict analogue chain and an experienced cutter with today's equipment you might even come up with decent results. But: The Porky cut isn't especially rare. Unlike other legendary cuttings ("Led Zeppelin II" as RL has to be one of the more famous examples) it's also not prohibitively expensive.

So I guess the price to do a decent recreation of it, would simply be too high for it to be lucrative. If the record companies wanted to show off different mastering of a legendary album I guess cd boxes with decent needledrops would be a more reasonable way. Apparently nobody has thought of it. Yet.

23. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I am in the market for a UK Unknown Pleasures if anyone has an extra to sell :)

bettsaj likes this.
  24. bettsaj

I already have a really good flac file of a near perfect Porky Cut needledrop...... In fact I think the guy that did the needle drop likely had some de-crackle software as there's virtually very little if any surface noise. I also have the same quality needledrops with Closer and Still.

You're absolutely right about value... You can get a first press Porky Cut for around £120 in NM condition.... Obviously once you start specifying trans red the value goes up double and sometimes treble depending on the condition.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    NunoBento likes this.
  25. bettsaj

Me too.... but I have a budget that I won't budge over... I'm also pedantic when it comes to quality... NM Records and VG+ jacket... No less

NunoBento and Echoes Myron like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.