JT Aqualung March 19th 1971

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlm86, Mar 19, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlm86

jlm86 From Hank to Hendrix Thread Starter

Music Requirement for Adolescence Derangement....

The whole concept, album art, lyrics, Martin guitar riffs...

Hey, cross-eyed Mary finds it hard to get along
    She's a poor man's rich girl and she'll do it for a song"

ThereOnceWasANote and DK Pete like this.
  2. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Oh boy I remember that day well! been loving this album since...
    I've literally owned it in every form...

Headfone and john lennonist like this.
  4. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Don't bend over to pick up a doggend in the locker room shower !
    :eek:

5. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I need some listerine to combat my locomotive breath.

tootull and john lennonist like this.
  6. bangkok19

bangkok19 I drank to your health, but ruined mine!

"....eyeing little girls with bad intent" ...Hmm, doesn't sound too politically correct in 2022 however, we were "little boys" back in the very early 70's so all was good.

ThereOnceWasANote likes this.
  7. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

My Tull Maniac journey began with "Benefit"

which begat "Aqualung"

which begat "Thick as a Brick"

Me fave three Tull's (along with "Stand Up")

geodos, tootull, lucan_g and 3 others like this.
  8. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

My Tull journey properly began with TAAB..from there I simultaneously went backwards and kept up with subsequent releases. My three faves in order are Brick, Aqualung and Passion.

tootull, lucan_g and jlm86 like this.
  9. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

If I had to make a top twenty list of my favorite albums of all time, Aqualung would place somewhere in there ( I actually devised my "definitive" top ten many years ago which includes TAAB). Aqualung was the very first Tull album I listened to on loan..I kind of liked it, gave it back and that was that (this was in late '71...I remember it was at the start of ninth grade). Then a few months later, the same friend loaned me Brick on an eight track tape he recorded for me. After a few tries I fell for it in a big way and this was the true start of my love for Tull. Very soon after, I rediscovered Aqualung and heard it in a completely different way from that time I borrowed it the year before. These days it's one if my multiple-copy albums including the remix and Classic's 45RPM version.

john lennonist likes this.
  10. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

What a great album. Aqualung sure did make an impact on my teenage self.

rsulzinger and DK Pete like this.
  11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

If I had to pick 3 Tull albums they would be...
    Stand Up
    Benefit
    Aqualung...being my favorite!

I never tire of these 3!

12. bob chabot

bob chabot chab

"In the beginning Man created God: and in the image of Man created he him." This statement blew my little 12 year-old catholic schoolboy mind! And then the music!!! I had borrowed it from an older cousin. I've been a Tull fan ever since.

13. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

AQUALUNG has an atmosphere that makes it one of Tull's finest albums. Much like Led Zeppelin's IV, it's the one album that's probably made more fans than any other, if only on sales figures alone. Ian said at the end of the 90's that EMI tallied up the sales for AQUALUNG and it totaled 12 million.

14. tootull

:cool: Much the same here. Started with a Brick concert. (free tickets)

john lennonist and DK Pete like this.
  15. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I saw Martin Barre in concert last night in Cincinnati. He had a great band and Clive Bunker joined them for the second set performance of the entire Aqualung album, which was really great.

Sadly, Dee Palmer is ill and missed being a part of it.

Lots of Tull material throughout the show: Minstrel In The Gallery, Heavy Horses, etc.

Highly recommended!

16. By the end of the summer of '71 - you know, when the summer vacations wane and get a little boring - I decided I was ready for something new in my tiny record collection. I hesitated for a while between "Aqualung", which I had heard a few impressive strains from and a glowing review on television, and The Mothers' "Fillmore East - June 1971". I had never heard anything from Frank Zappa, but for some odd reason the cover of his new album fascinated me (!)... Glad I opted for Tull with that lean cash I had... I wouldn't be ready to discover and appreciate Zappa yet for another four or five years... But as a Black Sabbath fan in '71 I was ripe for Tull all right...

john lennonist and DK Pete like this.
  17. apb

apb Game on!

That Tull offshoot band, Black Sabbath! (;-)

Aqualung came around right before my confirmation. It contributed to my lapsed Catholicism as any record in my collection.

18. The Dark Elf

The Dark Elf Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

As an 11 year old when Aqualung came out, Tull had me at "Snot is running down his nose." How could you not love a band with a line like that? The anti-established church sentiment also accorded with my growing disenfranchisement from Catholicism as I was growing up. It was the match that lit the fuse, so to speak.

19. tootull

The passing decades have brought you a parallel career in remixing classic albums across multiple genres in 5.1 sound. Could you pick out a favourite or two?

There are so many, but the ones I’m most proud of are the ones to which I made the biggest difference. Some records didn’t sonically match up to the artistry involved. I really felt I was able to lay the shine on Jethro Tull’s Aqualung, which was plagued by technical problems. I’m also proud of my work with XTC and Gentle Giant, because both bands are so underrated.

Steven Wilson: I never planned for Porcupine Tree to be over for so long

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.