Jukebox like the Wurlitzer thing.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Khorn, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

Anybody out there have a real live jukebox? I mean the Wurlitzer type of thing with the flashing lights and all that.

If so, please tell us about it, how it sounds and looks.

2. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Meee toooo! :D If they weren't so darned expensive, I'd like to get ahold of one for the bar in the basement.

3. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

I would love to have a wurlitzer that plays 78's with all the flashing lights and stuff...

I have a 1978 Rockola "Mystic". It was sitting in a guy's garage for 3 years. His father in law had a bar, and when it closed, the amusement co. never came to retrieve it. He sold it to me for 200 bucks.

The main thing wrong with it, it was filthy. I had to clean it up inside and out, i used a toothbrush to clean all the record holder things and mechanism.

There was a place that sells juke box parts, victory glass, they have nice jukebox schematics and manuals for any juke box that there is. One I got that, I could adjust it perfect so it didn't massacre records.

the only thing on it that didn't work, was the LED that showed the track selection. From the magazine jukebox collector, I got the address of a guy who has all kinds of new old stock circuit boards and stuff for rockola jukes.

The solid state jukeboxes, you really don't have to maintain them. Just play them daily, and they'll stay nice.

They seem to be eq'd for vocals; Frank Sinatra, Patsy Cline sound great, as does anybody with a deep voice! But most everything sounds good (and loud).
    there's three settings for treble and bass-I have to put it on the lowest.

If I put it on the highest setting, the bass will carry three streets over, like one of those deep bass systems you hear in cars.

The biggest hassle was getting it into the house, and when I move, it's staying here. But, I get a lot of pleasure out of it.

Norton records put out some repros of obscure sun records, that's my favorite right now on it.

Attached Files:

4. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

5. -=Rudy=-

I want one of those old jukeboxes where the 45s and turntable are all visible through the front. Wasn't that something Wurlitzer and/or Seeburg were into? I don't know why (maybe it's my mechanical side)--there's just something about watching those things operate that is fascinating. It would be a miracle to find one of these abandoned and still functioning in an old bar somewhere.

A local diner, built new a few years ago, had that kind of jukebox for awhile. They even had the selection boxes at each table, so you didn't have to get up and put a coin in at the machine. They eventually took it all away, though...went downhill along with their food.

6. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Jukebox

LOl......I couldnt wait to answer this post.

believe it or not, in my NYC Apartment, I have a 1962 AMI Continental 2 All tube jukebox. The attached pic isnt mine, but its the same model.

I gets LOTS of compliments on it. Everyone says the same thing...."Does That WORK"??

Attached Files:

7. -=Rudy=-

Mikey: have you ever looked for promotional AMI recordings? Somewhere, I have a WAV file an A&M collector sent me that is a short promotional blurb for AMI jukeboxes by none other than Herb Alpert (in the Tijuana Brass years). I would guess that other artists had recorded similar promos for AMI.

Almost looks like a satellite landed in your apartment. :D

8. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

We had a jukebox for most of the '80's. Actually it was my wife's idea and she bought it and rented out some slots to me. It wasn't fancy looking but did the job. We moved to a new house and couldn't really find a good spot for it anymore so we sold it.
    Our cat Izzie was a rocker. Here he is trying to do his best imitation of the Rolling Stones picture sleeve on the jukebox.

...bonus points to the first to tell me what sleeve is juxtaposed with the Rolling Stones ...

Attached Files:

9. -=Rudy=-

Hehehehe...great picture. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.