JULIE LONDON: General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mr Bass, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle Thread Starter

Most of the new issues have been been by EU third parties because of the differing copyright regs or Japan because of their continuing domestic high sales of music media. There may well be outtakes here and there but those would be locked up in the US as Tribute noted, either with the label or the artist. In general though Julie appeared to be a one take singer on her studio albums.

BTW @Tribute congrats on the 1000th post in this thread. You win a lifetime account with the Steve Hoffman Forum!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2023
    ggjjr likes this.
  2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

In the end, most new reissues of Julie, and of nearly all other classic jazz/pop singers are from Europe and Japan, because that is where many people still admire the art of these singers. American audiences generally ignore these great singers

Somehow, I bet a 12 song album took a lot more than one hour to record, especially given Bobby Troup's perfectionism.

ggjjr and JSKC like this.
  3. simolionshane

simolionshane Active Member

Speak of the devil! This was just uploaded less than a day ago. I think this is the latest-date video I've seen of Julie actually singing a song. I know she continued singing on TV up until shortly before Emergency, but very little is commonly seen, and rarely in this good quality. I'm sure this will be new to most, if not all, of you.

4. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

July 10, 1969 -- but is that the recording date, or the broadcast date?

hodgo likes this.
  5. simolionshane

I'm guessing broadcast, but I assume recording wasn't too long before. The turnaround between taping and airing was pretty short back then.

hodgo likes this.
  6. simolionshane

I suggest you all like, comment, and watch that video to the end to boost engagement. Perhaps either the algorithm or whomever runs channels that post old TV slots will see that people want to get more of Julie London!

hodgo likes this.
  7. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Done! We need to hear more Julie London because her singing really is overlooked.

8. Mr Bass

Unfortunately the dedicated website julielondon.org has disappeared. I emailed the person who had created the website and it was the usual tale of website hosting bait and switch and general non support. Also he had developed the site using software that Apple decided to drop. There are parts of it stored in the Wayback machine at archive.org

Thanks to @simolionshane for the Julie TV appearance. Yes the most likely TV material still available are Julie appearances on other shows. One was posted upthread earlier this year.

9. simolionshane

Which one was posted earlier this year?

10. Mr Bass

Post #991.

-------------

BTW here is the last (most recent) archive.org link to the now defunct website julielondon.org

Articles About Julie London

Last edited: Nov 18, 2023
    frightwigwam and MLutthans like this.
  11. simolionshane

I'd love to contact whomever that was and talk about their amazing collection! Is their contact info available anywhere?

12. Mr Bass

The website creator is not a public figure so I can't distribute contact information. Also I haven't gotten a response to an email I sent a week ago after an interval of several years. So I don't even know their interest or personal status at this point. If I get a response I will ask if he is willing to be contacted by others.

simolionshane likes this.
  13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

So many websites devoted to one artist, created by fans, have been deleted.

These sites were often definitive, with comprehensive information.

In a number of cases they were forced out by threats of legal action, not for distributing material (they rarely sold anything), but simply for existing.

They were often replaced by "official sites", which typically seem to be more about selling t-shirts, coffee mugs and a few greatest hit compilations.

Dawg In Control, sunspot42 and hodgo like this.
  14. Mr Bass

If they had half a brain the labels would just force the enthusiast sites to sell their t shirts and coffee mugs. But just to be clear that was not the reason for julielondon.org disappearing since the labels don't care that much in her case.

hodgo and sunspot42 like this.
  15. simolionshane

At the risk of beating a dead horse here, I recently got a copy of "London by Night" in its original American stereo release (LST-7105) and I can confirm, no part of it is true stereo. There isn't much creative stereo-trickery or frequency-spreading like in the stereo version of "About the Blues" (I actually think the fake stereo version of that album is somewhat better than the mono version). All they've done on "London by Night" is pan the dry mono track hard to the right and put some very wet reverb on the left. The result is just a muddier listening experience. There's no reason to seek this out unless you're a completist. The best version of this album I've heard is the 1980s French pressing, and as previously stated, the two-track stereo version of "In the Middle of a Kiss" can be found on the "Time for Love" CD. I'm frankly a little surprised they were able to find the original stereo tapes considering they were originally mixed down to mono and promptly forgotten.

On another note, when exploring the archives of julielondon.org, I saw that a presumably-complete "Something Special" (1965) was once on that website. Unfortunately, it wasn't archived. I wonder if anyone else has it.

16. MLutthans

Well, there's a little more to it, but not much.

17. simolionshane

You may be right; I'd have to listen again more closely with headphones. In any event, the effect is the same throughout.

18. MLutthans

Definitely! Sorry to nitpick earlier.

19. simolionshane

You're good! We're all here to get into the nitty-gritty of these things!

MLutthans likes this.
  20. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I got a text from my Arch Nemesis Jayme that a local thrift got in a bunch of nice Julie London LPs. He should know better than to tell me and leave them all because he didn't have cash on him. He only bought one. I took the afternoon off and snagged them all on the way home from work. 15 total nice records and covers. I have more but these were the ones I found today.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

And they all appear to be near mint, at least the covers.

Your friend must have bought Calendar Girl.

CalaveraJ and apple-richard like this.
  22. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

The records are as nice as the covers. I was shocked. My friend got Around Midnight. The owner of the thrift said someone else beat me to Calendar Girl.

CalaveraJ, frightwigwam and hodgo like this.
  23. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

Wow what a score, I have been collecting Julie records for over a decade and just like that you have titles I don't! I do have a minty calendar girl I only paid $10 for though. Swing Me An Old Song is so rare, I finally got that one last year, a friend bought a box of records and gave me a few Julies

apple-richard likes this.
  24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The first cover

[​IMG]

The second cover, after the first was withdrawn/replaced because the man looked like he was lusting after Julie.

Julie's new pose also de-emphasized the "come get me" message.

And the font was changed to not over-emphasize the idea that the guy wanted to "swing"

[​IMG]

Collect 'em all.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2024
  25. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

I knew that because my friend who got me into her had both but that's great info for this thread. My copy is the first cover!

JazzFanatic and apple-richard like this.