July 1 Zu Omen Dirty Weekend Orders

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JPW87, Jul 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

The date is on the top of the invoice.

2. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

"Everything is cool about loudspeakers except selling...." Mr. Casey speaks the truth. Dealing with customers is beyond art. I guess he's more into the technical side. But he seems to be pretty charismatic.... I spoke to him quite a while. No doubt he's very intelligent.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  3. Classic Car Guy

There's no ETA on my invoice... This is probably a different invoice version. But that's fine I'm pretty sure He'll call .....

4. Got the shipping email for my DWs this afternoon. Rustic hickory, Jupiter caps, and rubber footers. Excited to hear how they sound with my Line Magnetic 518ia. They should be here by Friday. :righton:

struttincool and Dignan2000 like this.
  5. Classic Car Guy

Beautiful. Let us know what you think about the speakers with your amp..

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  6. Classic Car Guy

Any news from our delivery boys?

7. Mine arrived this morning and were promptly hooked into my system. I’ve listened to 4 or 5 albums through them and am very, very happy thus far. Everything from jazz to acoustic folk to Zeppelin has sounded outstanding. I had seen some reports that these are only good for jazz/acoustic music and I couldn’t disagree more. These things have the house shaking with the volume at 10 o’clock on my 22w Line Magnetic SET amp playing Zep II. I am still in the process of some upgrades (cables and tube rolling) so I will give them a lot of play to keep burning them in while I get the rest of my system tuned up before I give a final thought on SQ, but my initial impressions are very positive.

iluzun, Nephrodoc, arem and 7 others like this.
  8. Classic Car Guy

Congrats and wonderful news!
    Do you have the feet on your speakers? According to Mr. Casey, I ordered with bolts only and I was planning to put something different like an aluminum or silver stand and I don't know if that's gonna work. Mine arrived yesterday but I haven't open the box yet. After I pickup my kitty from the vet then Ill mess around with it this afternoon. Happy listening.

5-String likes this.
  9. Thank you. I went with the Hi-Fi rubber footers as my speakers are on a wood floor. $80 is a little steep but they are good quality and easy to install. Glad I got them.

Classic Car Guy likes this.
  10. Classic Car Guy

I just opened it a quick look before I leave anytime now. This is what I got from the package and I didn't order the feet.

[​IMG]

I was wondering if I can adopt this as long as its not in the way of the port vent?
    Do you think it will kill the bass if I lift it up more than 3/4 inch?
    Wow this speaker is bigger and heavier than I thought. which is a good sign...

[​IMG]

Greenmonster2420 and 5-String like this.
  11. arem

arem Forum Resident

Those are the standard metal spikes that always come with the speakers. 3/4 inch gap seems high to me, but play around with it. I have the rubber footers on the front and the balls on the back of my DW's to give them a little tilt which I think helps a bit.

12. I think something like that could definitely be retrofitted on these. 3/4” sound like a lot, so If try to make that as adjustable as possible so you can find the right gap.

I am really loving these speakers. I am hearing a hint of graininess on the top end, but I was hearing a bit of that with my Wharfedales too, and I believe it to be upstream. But everything else is fantastic and just what I was looking for to hold me over for the next couple of years while I get the rest of my system where I want it to be and I can step up into the ~$5k range on speakers.

13. Classic Car Guy

Just got back and took care of what I need to do for the kitty.
    I'm heading to the hardware store and try to get me something temporarily for the foot before they close for the day.
    :shtiphat:

14. Robert M.

Robert M. Forum Resident

What's the correct gap height? | Zu Audio

Hope this helps,

Robert Martellaro

15. Classic Car Guy

I was able to run the zu dw last night and I hooked up 2 different tube amps. one is a small 6-watt EL34 and the other one is an 8 300b.
    The 300b obviously has a bit more power and has a larger bandwidth so It was able to shine more. My volume was not even passing halfway and its already loud. I'm still trying to break in the amp since I only have less than 5 hours in this unit. It sparkles more on that midrangey tone while I was listening to telegraph road - dire straits, cry - g0dley and crème, a lot of david benoit music. I notice with the right gap and a wooden floor, the bass on this amp resonates 360 degrees that easily fills up a 400+ sq ft room. I'm going to try a 42 watt tube amp on this by lunchtime and see how it produces the sound together with the bass response. Please don't quote me on just a wooden floor, It can be something else even a carpet depending on the amp your using. I haven't really sat long in tis yet but so far, this speaker compliments the classic and some jazz mode.
    Edited:
    My 300b is probably the most basic, and one of lowest bandwidth in this planet comparing to the equipment's that you have. I'm pretty sure you have double the power of what I have so it will easily play these speakers like a grand piano by the master himself.
    Bottom line. This speaker is world class sound and its Made in USA.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    Greenmonster2420 and Dignan2000 like this.
  16. banjobiotic

banjobiotic New Member

To those of you that recently received your Omen DWs what is your impression of bass response? I was part of the March order and received mine in late May. I listen to a lot of acoustic music with upright bass. The midrange instruments like guitar, banjo, mandolin etc sound amazing, but I can’t seem to get the bass to pop out. Same thing with electric bass on something like the Grateful Dead’s “Wake of the Food”, the bass lines are so crucial to the songs on that album and I can barely make them out. I’ve tried different gap heights, distance from walls, toe in, check
    phase, etc and no matter what I do the bass lines sound very indistinct and hard to make out. Kinda wondering if something is wrong with my pair.

What have your impressions been so far?

17. Classic Car Guy

far too early for me to tell on my side not just the speaker is new but my 300b is new too. I'm on a break in zone. But I can tell right off the tone is wide and clear. A typical world class sound.
    If I may didn't mr caseys opinion to add a sub so youll get the full potential of the speakers clarity?

18. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

Has Zu recommended their loading resistors?
    DIY | Zu Audio

19. banjobiotic

banjobiotic New Member

They have not, would that help? I’m running the speakers with a Rogue Sphinx V3.

20. Bass has been no issue and my room is relatively large. Are your speakers on carpet or hard floors?

21. banjobiotic

banjobiotic New Member

Hard wood floor, no carpet or rugs. My room is 11’x15’, with I guess is on the upper edge of the small room category.

I find that bass guitar sounds really good on recordings where it is somewhat isolated, like trio and duet recordings. But on larger ensemble recordings and 5 piece rock bands the mids are so much more present that the bass gets lost.

22. Classic Car Guy

what amp?

23. Assuming your speakers are not wired out of phase, I'd have to think the issue is upstream or it is an issue with speaker placement. I definitely do not have this issue in my set up

24. Classic Car Guy

I had that in my mind but I don't know if I should say it...?:biglaugh:
    doesn't this speaker supposed to pump out bass anywhere in the room since its a downport?
    oops my bad.. you should have no problem with running those speakers with a mosfet amp.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  25. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

Worth a shot to call them. They like your amp. I just read an article where using them improved the sound- from kind of mushy too much tighter. Nelson Pass owns some Zu's and uses the resistors for one of his amps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.