July 1 Zu Omen Dirty Weekend Orders

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JPW87, Jul 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

I use a speaker load on my tube amp and they sound great on guitar amps. pretty sure its good on hifi too. I like dialing the volume pass 1 o' clock. or close to the breakup and it really give me the umph sound.
    I don't know on the solid state.

2. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

They have some burn in prior to shipping, but mine needed about 30 days to really open up. I’m running a Raven Audio 20wpc tube integrated and have never gone past 11 o’clock. Bet they sound sweet with that LM SET amp! I didn’t realize I’ve had mine for almost 3 years now with absolutely no regrets. Enjoy the new speakers.

Dignan2000 and Classic Car Guy like this.
  3. Classic Car Guy

Its very hard to beat these speakers. Especially if you got the right color for your house too. I got the maple and hands down like you're looking at high dollar marble finish.
    Cant wait to plug in the 300b "bad boy" amp. I'm just trying to finish painting the rack for it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    Dignan2000 likes this.
  4. Classic Car Guy

Thanks...

I'm doing a normal brake-in on the speakers into another 14 x 16 room. Its like the 4th day running it and so far its opening up little by little. as of running it with a 6-watts set amp that I'm using for a smooth break-in, I cant even dial it past 11:30. The bass has drastically improved. and pretty sure its still gonna go on more.
    I been playing this music and don't know what they're called. Its what I hear on the new club music sounds like theyre ready to sacrifice someone, drink my blood and all that stuff..... :biglaugh:Whatever it is, its pumping out a lot of bass on this speaker. I cant believe how sensitive this speakers are. This gonna be really nice after I set this up on my living room with the 300B amp with the rest of my machismos.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    Dignan2000 likes this.
  5. Classic Car Guy

PS..
    I saw an article here saying about the speaker break-in. Hope this helps out.

" I was regularly updated on the progress of construction and break-in by various members of the Zu Crew, which I found to be a nice customer service touch. Interestingly, though, much of that time was taken for running the drivers in, which apparently takes a long time, as in 600 hours or more."

6. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

Time is starting to really drag in anticipation of getting mine. Two more weeks.

7. Classic Car Guy

Just a recap. been running the zu speakers on a break in mode for over a week.
    Today I got the ZU connected to the 8 watt amp with the rest of my gizmo's. I let it run smoothly for 2 hours and then I put in falco - der komissar and vienna calling. Man I couldn't believe the sound I'm getting from these speakers. I popped the same music in my cassette deck, oh my god, I thought the speakers are gonna pop out. 8 watts of hard hitting bass on 79 db. Since these are 10 inch I kinda know that this travels more further than the 320 sqft. I went down the house and on the walkway to the kitchen it was shaking.
    These speakers are crystal clear. It sounds very nice on jazz. I listened to steve winwood - cant find my way home. The strings are just phenomenal.
    I cant imagine, how much more sound I can get from this speaker if I'm using a lot more power amp.

Nephrodoc and Dignan2000 like this.
  8. Man, the guys over at Zu are awesome. I had purchased some cables from them on eBay and had a little mishap (100% my fault) as my LM amp apparently needs oversized spades (Doh!). So I gave them a quick call and Sean answered the phone. Pretty awesome calling a manufacturer and having the owner pick up the phone. We discussed the issue and he got me completely straightened out and even got the new cables shipped out to me without waiting for the other ones to return. Just great customer service, which I've always received when dealing with the other folks over there. I would whole heartedly recommend dealing with Zu to anyone looking for speakers or cables - their trial policies are great and the service is top notch. Oh - and the products are fantastic as well! Consider me a very happy customer.

james, Dignan2000, bhazen and 2 others like this.
  9. Classic Car Guy

Yes, I agree. That's what I like about the way how mr casey runs him empire. He will be there for you face to face. I had enough of companies hiding behind a name. :righton: for ZU Audio and its Made in USA. Proud to be an American!:shtiphat:

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  10. Classic Car Guy

any news from the delivery boys?

11. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Not yet for me, my target ship date according to the invoice is 8/31.

12. Classic Car Guy

That's less than 2 weeks. Alright:thumbsup:
    you have your cabinets loaded with the clarity caps?

13. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Jupiter capacitors. I was hoping that I might get an earlier than the estimate shipping date but it seems that it will be the end of the month if not early September.

14. Classic Car Guy

Last night I was listening to bach cello solo #1. it sounds and feels like I'm inside a hall sitting right next to him. Works out pretty good on these times of crisis.

Dignan2000 and 5-String like this.
  15. Classic Car Guy

delivery boys??

16. Sam Waters

Sam Waters Forum Resident

Hi guys, I'm new here...and finally received tracking info for my DW's...arriving Sept 21! 10 days shy of the next sale...
    curious how the bass issue worked out for the fellow running the Sphinx? I will also be running class D(Wyred4Sound st250 via PS Audio Stellar GCD) I'm a little concerned about the output level with that front end, but I am planning for low level listening in a well damped room.

I'm excited to finally listen to these, and plan to compare them to my rebuilt Maggie 1.4's and PSB Imagine B's... the three could not be more different, but it should be fun having them in rotation for a couple months while I decide whether I like the Zu's. I wish there was a grill option available though, even a simple removable saucer with Magnepan/Vandersteen fabric stretched over would be convenient. I know it is possible to modify the plastic covers in this fashion(however my quality of production would not be up to snuff with Zu Audio).

Anyway, curious what you guys think about your new gear.
    Cheers,
    Sam

17. struttincool

18. Sam Waters

The wait is brutal...for a fickle audio enthusiast like myself...ordered in first 6 minutes...but in Zu’s defense, I inquired about getting my pair in unfinished hickory to then stain myself...ended up sticking with rustic hickory(w/clarity)..

I like to buy random used gear...every couple years my entire system looks quit different...this is my first new component in a long time...since an Oppo981 I believe...Maggie’s have stuck since 2004

19. I am enjoying the hell out of my DW MKIIs. After messing with positioning they are really filling my room with sound and giving a great, massive soundstage. They pair incredibly well with my Line Magnetic 518ia and are proving to be quite versatile performers. Everything from small group jazz to classic rock to alternative to classical has sounded very good. They have been very revealing of upstream changes such as tube rolling and cable swaps. I’m really excited to hear how it all sounds when my new (to me) Manley Chinook SE MKII arrives today :love:

20. iluzun

iluzun Forum Resident

struttincool and Dignan2000 like this.
  21. struttincool

One of their nicest finishes. Love to see a full room shot when you get them fully set up.
    I need an interior designer and a place in Pine.
    [​IMG]

22. iluzun

iluzun Forum Resident

[​IMG] Let’s c if this works...[​IMG]

23. Sam Waters

Those look fantastic! Compromised with my wife and went with Rustic Hickory...but really wanted the Teal...and man those look great...
    Either way, mine arrived yesterday and so far I really like them. I was concerned about my system having too much gain/power for low level listening, however they are playing nicely at low levels...
    Midrange and vocals are great, and the bass is definitely enough for me(my current listening room promotes wonderful bass response)

iluzun and struttincool like this.
  24. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

Those are beautiful! Enjoy!!

iluzun likes this.
  25. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

That teal looks crazy. Wish I could pull off those unique colors they offer.

Went with Ghost Black Hickory (w/ clarity caps) with the silver hardware as it matches the amp face and handles.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.