Jurassic World - Dominion - June 2022

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Nov 24, 2021.

1. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I can't not think for myself, but one of the things I often think is that movies rated a 30% on RT don't stand up very well to criticism. And I'm a critical viewer. That said, I do tend to just go with the flow and enjoy these Jurassic films.

Gregory Earl and Michael like this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

me too...; ) no critics yapping is going to change my mind regarding the great JP franchise...I've loved every one of them so far!

3. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I've seen all of the first five, so I will probably see this new one eventually. Girlfriend wants to go.

She had never seen The Lost World so we had a lazy Sunday yesterday and watched it. I hadn't seen it since it came out in theaters in 1997, didn't remember much about it. Though it's basically a retread of the first film, I mostly enjoyed re-watching it.

longdist01 and Michael like this.
  4. Michael

the T-Rex was great...a happy girlfriend is a good thing! ; )

longdist01 and Chrome_Head like this.
  5. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Having seen Dominion, earlier this week, I understand the criticism of the animation. The initial scenes with Blue and Beta running around in the snow looked a bit amateurish. Does anyone know if a white background is problematic for porting CGI? The bigger problem was the weightlessness of the raptors. Good CGI characters always convey a sense of weight but the raptors seemed quite weightless. They did a better job with the other dinos, but some were ridiculous. I know feathered dynos is a thing, but the scene was as odd as the appearance of the dinosaur. There was under-ice swimming with flapping of its feathery arms and it's too over-the-top.

Also, shoehorning so many of the actors into the same plot didn't allow any room for them to stretch out and do their thing. Ian Malcolm had an especially odd role. Don't get me wrong, it was super entertaining and overall a worthwhile addition, but I don't think it was as good as the previous two Jurassic Worlds. The rebelliousness of Maise right at the start was especially off-putting and since it set up so much of what followed I didn't feel like I was being invited into the action so much as dragged into it against my will. The previous two films set up the action better. The Malta scene was also crazy. Maybe I'll enjoy it more if I see it again.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
  6. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

I thought it was OK. It was cool to see Goldblum, Neil and Dern reunited and the dinosaur effects were impressive to me.

SandAndGlass and longdist01 like this.
  7. Square Hammer

Square Hammer Forum Resident

I wasn’t expecting much. But I wasn’t expecting it to be one of the worst movies I’ve ever watched. It’s a dumpster fire.

8. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

This movie. This movie..... My goodness. Was it written and made by the same folk who gave us Predator (2018)?!?!

This isn't just bad, it's bad in a hundred different ways. They squander every single good thing that could have been. It's shocking how bad they managed to make it. Are they serious?

I was embarrassed for the cast. This was especially true of those that came back into the fold. Hell, I was embarrassed for the dinosaurs. Some of the CGI is awful, but even setting that aside, this movie stinks. There's not a single moment that's good here. Unbelievable we're getting this nonsense in 2022. Surely this franchise is done for a very long time..........

9. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Thought it was really bad.

However, Dern looks great for her age.

intv7 likes this.
  10. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I have no desire to see the movie but I've seen photos of Sam Neal and it looks like he's looking good for his age too. I've always thought Laura Dern was a beauty, not to mention a great actress.

longdist01 and Humbuster like this.
  11. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

Took my kids to see this. My son was excited to see it released, he was telling me about all the delays in releasing it. We have all the movies and watch them often.
    I thought Dominion was awful. The plot didn’t make sense, and it just fell apart at the end. With all the original and new cast members united, there was no on screen sparks. Don’t get me wrong, it was great to see the original cast members again.
    Apparently nothing was done during the delay in release to improve the movie.

Now that I think about it, Universal kept this release quiet despite having a Jurassic World ride at their parks. My buddy who works at Universal Hollywood told me they had no special events at the park for the movie release.

Humbuster likes this.
  12. simonux

simonux Custom Title

The plot is from another film, a rejected mission impossible or whatever, with the dinosaurs shoehorned in.

Nephrodoc and Vaughan like this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I thought it was hilarious that the evil billionaire villain who was head of the scientific corporation trying to make money by destroying the world through mutated DNA (and dinosaurs) looked exactly like Tim Cook, CEO of Apple:

[​IMG]

That is actor Campbell Scott, son of famous actor George C. Scott. And the evil corporate headquarters was -- naturally -- a giant circular building with trees in the middle very reminiscent of Apple Park in Cupertino.

[​IMG]

You tell me: is the similarity mere coincidence?

I was also amused that the entire movie was shot on film by the great John Schwartzman. Even in 2022, film is far from dead.

Old Mac likes this.
  14. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

One of the few films I have walked out of, awful....Least the others were at least watchable

Pete Puma likes this.
  15. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

I took my wife and 7 year old son to see it the day it released. We've seen all the other movies (I'm not exaggerating) about 100 times each. Got all the DVDs and will stop and watch the movies when they play on cable. So for us it's just a another dinosaur movie. Nothing more, nothing less. Seeing a movie for the first time is always exciting and this one did not disappoint. We loved it and this Tuesday we are seeing it again.
    My only gripe with the film was IMO Rexy should have been given more screen time. I would have liked to have included her roar in the ending in some way like in Jurassic World. But we're not that critical of most films our son likes. Even love both Sonic movies. Hope Jim Carry comes back for a third.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Incredibly poor compared to the rest. Terrible waste of Dern, Goldblum and Neill

Stormrider77 likes this.
  17. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member

What a stinker :shake:

Stormrider77 likes this.
  18. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

Giganotosaurus

[​IMG]

19. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Yeah, just watched it, it was 'watchable', but it's a terrible letdown.
    How disappointing.
    The film really didn't go anywhere.
    It's probably the worst of the whole lot dare I say, and I really like everything that has come before.
    The 'spark' or the that 'fairy dust' that existed before, is long gone on this one.
    Bummer.

Stormrider77 and SandAndGlass like this.
  20. errant_knight

errant_knight Full Time Dreamer

It is so bad it defies comprehension. It barely works as a movie at all and then at the ending it just gives up and so it was only fun for the action scenes and nothing else. Goldblum had one or two funny moments but that was it. I enjoyed the previous two and had high hopes for this one only to have them completely dashed, crushed and stomped upon.

21. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

I tried watching this, twenty minutes in, click...

22. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I never got around to seeing this in the theater, but I bought the 4K and watched the extended version last night. I liked it quite a bit.

Sounds like I made the right choice since many people were unhappy with the theatrical version.

23. Michael

well they are releasing this on 4K BD with an extended version...curious as to what the extended footage will be? hopefully more Dino action...13 minutes IIRC was added...

24. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I do know that the prologue is added to the extended version, so there is at least that much more Dino action. :)

Doctor Worm and Michael like this.
  25. Michael

thanks...

The Hud likes this.