Just bought The Complete Elvis Presley Masters on eBay!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DollyFan1990, Jan 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DollyFan1990

DollyFan1990 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi!

I just bought The Complete Elvis Presley Masters on eBay for a whopping $1,225! It's from the numbered first pressing. PayPal credit was running a special of a 24 month payment plan at only $58 a month for 24 months and only 12% interest.

I've been eyeing this set for 9 years and finally pulled the trigger. I have The RCA Album Collection that came out in 2016. I thought that would satisfy me, but I found myself still dreaming about The Complete Masters set.

For anyone who has The Complete Masters set, what's your opinion on it?

2. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

It is great. Save for a few problems here and there (does not include take 1 the single version of It's A Long Lonely Highway, and neither is the album version take 10 of A Little Less Conversation, so much for "complete").

You will find just about all the material from the Albums set For LP Fans Only and A Date With Elvis is MUCH better on The Complete Masters.

Price.pittsburgh likes this.
  3. SKATTERBRANE

_The version of "A Little Less Conversation" relased in 1970 on the Almost in Love Camden LP is not included. (In addition to the single master, the Complete Masters set includes the June 1968 version recorded for the NBC-TV Special.)
    _Take 2 of "I Love You Because," which was released on Volume 1 of A Legendary Performer in 1974 is not included. (The master was a splice of takes 3 and 5.)
    _Take 15 of "I Want You, I Need You, I Love You," which was included on Volume 2 of A Legendary Performer in 1976 is not included. (The master was a splice of takes 14 and 17.)
    _The version of "Long, Lonely Highway" (2:57) first released on a single is not included. (The album master runs for 2:23 and is included.)
    _Take 5 of "Old Shep," which was released accidentally on some pressings of the 1956 Elvis LP, is not included.
    _The false starts (takes 2 and 3) and the announcement of take 4 of "Such a Night" that were included on Volume 2 of A Legendary Performer in 1976 are not included. (The master was take 5.)
    _Take 17 of "Stay Away Joe," which was used in the film and accidentally released in 1970 on the first pressings of the Almost in Love Camden LP in place of "Stay Away" is not included. (The overdubbed record master is included.)

4. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Just curious if it includes all of the alternate takes that were on the FTD reissues, for example. I wouldn't think all of that would fit on 30 CDs.

5. SKATTERBRANE

No it does not, and should not as it is supposed to only be stuff released during his lifetime (other than the 2 bonus CDs).

Iceman08 and Terrapin Station like this.
  6. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Note where the OP is located... :righton:

7. SKATTERBRANE

The cowbell at the beginning of Promised Land is missing. The finger snap on White Christmas was digitized out. Someone must have thought it was a defect. The version of I Want To Be Free is not the master with the spliced ending. You Don't Know Me has a tape dropout on the left channel. Tomorrow Night (overdubbed) has a clipped beginning, with one note missing. Complete Masters sets includes the short (1:02) solo version of Mama, rather than the composite version spliced with the Amigos' introduction, as originally released on the Let's Be Friends LP.

Daddy Dom and Shawn like this.
  8. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Something I have never done = a payment plan and 12% interest to buy music.
    That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it. Enjoy! :righton:

DollyFan1990 and longdist01 like this.
  9. SKATTERBRANE

That is actually a good price for a numbered edition these days. The second run without the serial number brings MUCH less however.

10. DollyFan1990

That's what I was thinking! One seller on eBay is trying to sell just the CDs (no book or box) for $2,100. There's no way ANYONE would pay that for just the CDs. At least I hope no one would.

11. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

“Only 12% interest”. Sorry, that’s not a good deal.

pscreed, JohnBeas, sram16 and 2 others like this.
  12. DollyFan1990

Well, compared to 25.99% on a PayPal credit card, it's pretty good! :D

Chemguy likes this.
  13. Vinyl Richie

Vinyl Richie Forum Resident

I just find it interesting that you waited until AFTER you spent $1200 on it to seek opinions.

14. DollyFan1990

Well, I knew I wanted it, regardless of others opinions. I just wanted to talk about it mostly out excitement! :)

15. SKATTERBRANE

Well I am sure you will love it. The book is also very informative. Maybe you could do a review once you've gotten familiar with it. (which will take time)

For the most part the sound quality is top notch.

16. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Good lord. People use these cards?

JohnBeas and DollyFan1990 like this.
  17. Reader

Reader Senior Member

It's great that you got something you've been wanting for so long. If you are happy with the cost etc. don't let anyone spoil your day. Happy listening. Crank it up so we can all hear it.

18. SKATTERBRANE

It is stressful always worrying about whether one spent too much on something. There will always be examples of those who found it cheaper or those who spent a lot more. So what? If I like something and can afford it I GET IT. I look for the best price at the time, but don't worry too much about it. Enjoyment is hard to put a price on, in fact you might even say it is priceless.

19. Trace

Trace Senior Member

Personally, if I can't pay cash for music, I don't buy it, but sometimes you just gotta...

[​IMG]

Enjoy your purchase! Sounds like the price was right.

20. DollyFan1990

Thanks!
    That's usually my stance on it also, not to go into debt for music. But I told myself if I could ever find it for under $2,000 again I'd make it happen!

phantomime, Trace and Myke like this.
  21. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

If I don't pay my card's balance in full every month, I'm paying interest, so you just enjoy finally scratching that itch !!!!

:tiphat:

Reader likes this.
  22. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I have several different credit cards and PayPal credit which always offer long periods with no interest.

23. DollyFan1990

This should arrive tomorrow! The anticipation is driving my crazy!

Price.pittsburgh likes this.
  24. SKATTERBRANE

Are they shipping from outside the US, or is the vendor just a slow shipper? I ship the same day or the next day myself whenever I sell something online. Or maybe he sent it media mail rather than priority. Media mail travels further, going through more stops along the way for some reason. It is not as direct as Priority mail.

25. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

I got mine at Goodwill for $50

DollyFan1990 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.