Just got the Outer Limits on DVD should I send it back?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by inperson, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inperson

inperson Senior Member Thread Starter

I just ordered it Saturday and got it today but after I placed the order I found out it was released on Blu-Ray. Should I send it back? Is the Blu-Ray that much better? Advice please.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Yeah, unless the Blu-Ray is triple the price or something.

ParloFax and inperson like this.
  3. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Season one of The Outer Limits on blu-ray is great. Season two was just released in November but got recalled from stores because of an audio problem in the episode Soldier. They are doing a replacement program for those that already bought it.

PhantomStranger and inperson like this.
  4. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

Definitely get it in blu-ray.

inperson likes this.
  5. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

I got my copy of Season 2 from Amazon on the day it was released. I have not watched the episode yet but I assume it will probably be a defective. I tried Google but was unable to find any information on this. Where did you hear about the audio problem?

UPDATE: Found it. Thanks for the heads up!

NOTE: Dear valued Kino Lorber customer,

We are currently in the process of obtaining a new master of the OUTER LIMITS episode “Soldier” which has slightly distorted audio during ten minutes of the episode. We will be repressing this disc so that future pressings of THE OUTER LIMITS Season Two will have the corrected audio. If you have purchased a disc with the problematic audio and would like to receive a replacement, please do the following:

1) Send an e-mail to [email protected]

2) Write “OUTER LIMITS Exchange” in the Subject Line

3) In the body of the e-mail, provide your name and mailing address; and indicate whether you purchased the DVD or Blu-ray edition.

It will likely be early 2019 when the replacement discs are mailed (due to the manufacturing slow-down during the holiday season).

Thank you for your understanding and your continued support of Kino Lorber Studio Classics

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    Shawn and IronWaffle like this.
  6. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

This was posted on blu-ray.com

Dear valued Kino Lorber customer,

We are currently in the process of obtaining a new master of the OUTER LIMITS episode “Soldier” which has slightly distorted audio during ten minutes of the episode. We will be repressing this disc so that future pressings of THE OUTER LIMITS Season Two will have the corrected audio. If you have purchased a disc with the problematic audio and would like to receive a replacement, please do the following:

1) Send an e-mail to [email protected]

2) Write “OUTER LIMITS Recall” in the Subject Line

3) In the body of the e-mail, provide your name and mailing address; and indicate whether you purchased the DVD or Blu-ray edition.

It will likely be early 2019 when the replacement discs are mailed (due to the manufacturing slow-down during the holiday season).

Thank you for your understanding and your continued support of Kino Lorber Studio Classics.

Shawn likes this.
  7. inperson

Thank you all for your advice. It's going back.

PageLesPaul likes this.
  8. inperson

It is more expensive but I'll deal with it.

9. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

When you play these discs, do you have to adjust the vertical hold? Or the horizontal?

I'll show myself out.

10. inperson

The problem is I am buying old TV shows on DVD that I like but I don't want to get them if they are going to come out on Blu-Ray. I figure most of them will be limited to DVD only.

For example, Mannix, Mission Impossible, The Saint, Secret Agent Man, shows like these. Am I pretty safe to guess that they will only be put out on DVD? I know the Twilight Zone got the BR treatment. What are some other classic TV shows that could come out on BR? Any ideas or knowledge on this?

11. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

The Blu-Ray quality is certainly better, but the extras are great!

12. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

If you're a fan of The Avengers, don't buy the Region A Blu-ray of Season 5. They crammed all 25 episodes onto a single disc, and the bitrate is very low. Stick with the DVDs, or buy the Region B sets of Seasons 4 and 5 from Amazon UK. Of course, you'll need either a region-free player or software to rip them to your hard drive, but the quality is excellent.

inperson likes this.
  13. "Star Trek" some later shows such as "Quantum Leap", "MacGyver". Some of the 60's shows are less likely to get BD releases unless they have a cult following like "Twilight Zone" or "The Outer Limits", "Star Trek", etc. because the market just isn't there for some of the companies that own them. Old is bad in America now. I miss the days when old was cool (such as old horror films, etc.)

MarkTheShark, inperson and mozz like this.
  14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

THANKS Guys!

15. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Yes, and you can adjust the focus from a soft blur to crystal clarity! ;)

To the OP: the blu-ray sets are much better than the DVDs due to:
    1) better video (but not as good as new masters and cleanups would have shown);
    2) better audio;
    3) subtitles;
    4) numerous audio commentaries;
    5) numerous extras on the second season set.

Vidiot, Shawn and uzn007 like this.
  16. As I recall, these are new remasters. They are not, however, restored. The previous DVD set was pulled from video masters that were also used for the VHS tapes. These were largely cleaned up although not flawless. A complete restoration would have been preferred (and eliminating the wires for “The Man With The Power” would have been sacrilegious but I would want it).

Shawn likes this.
  17. I agree about The Avengers. They look much better on the registry on B (and the Mrs. Peel final episode with Tara King doesn’t belong to the fifth season set really as it was truly meant to be the first episode of season 6 after Brian Clemons was brought back as producer) I should note however that the region A of season five isn’t all on one disc but on three discs.

18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

If the DVDs plays I'd keep it. I've found the odd new blu Ray freezes on my player.

19. Michael

did anyone get a conformation after sending the email to the posted email?

20. Michael

the original OL DVDs looked like crap...

wayneklein likes this.
  21. Michael

that's so unfortunate...it sucks we get too many DVDs instead of pristine BD of our favorite TV Shows...

22. dougotte

No; I haven't.

Michael likes this.
  23. dougotte

Good points, Wayne (except I never think wires should be removed). We're lucky to have this series in HD at all!

wayneklein likes this.
  24. inperson

Before this thread disappears in time, is there a version of Le Cercle Rouge out on Blu Ray for the US market? Forget about the Criterion version $$$

25. Michael

so it looks like this is normal...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.