just how bad exactly is my setup?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by middleWave, May 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. middleWave

middleWave Forum Resident Thread Starter

i've been collecting records since i was a teenager, but only recently taking it seriously/taking good care of them, etc. i have a decent little home setup that works for my listening and production needs, but now that i am wading deeper, i see there is an endless array of high end equipment to attain quality sound, and some of your setups just shame me. so i'm wondering just how bad my setup is. one thing that must be noted is that i live on a very modest salary, so saving for new gear takes a while and upgrades are rare.

here's what i'm working with:

CARTRIDGE is the ATN-95E which seemed like a safe, affordable bet when i bought it. i also use the shure whitelabels when i DJ out at clubs, which i love.

TURNTABLE is an out of production DJ Tech Vinyl USB 20, a chinese OEM brand. its roughly 8 years old and has been repaired at least 3 times after the motor stopped working.

[​IMG]
    SPEAKERS are JBL LSR 305 studio monitors. i did a lot of research on these and the reviews are stellar. also i like the idea of having flat monitors for not only my production but also listening. i can always adjust the EQ with my mixer...
    [​IMG]
    MIXER is another chinese OEM brand, the VOXOA C60, which is a digital DJ controller AND external mixer. it really works well for my setup, with the multiple phono/line/aux inputs, but my biggest worry is sound quality. about 3 years old, repaired once or twice.
    [​IMG]
    CABLES are mostly cheap hoya cables. i just can't see spending more than $10-20 on basic RCA/XLR/TRS cables.

VINYL - nowadays i take good care of my vinyl, store it well, and clean regularly with a spin clean system.

so that's the nuts and bolts of it. how bad is this system? if you were to target one link in the chain to improve (under a modest budget), what would it be? (please don't say the speakers, just bought them and they are probably the best thing in my system. also the mixer would be very hard to replace considering its functionality).

ps: i also use a 1990 ensoniq EPS 16+ (keyboard sampler) for production.in the near FUTURE, i will be getting this Focusrite 6i6 soundcard for recording. that will likely put another link in the chain between source and final output. probably going to run the keyboard directly into the mixer, then mixer into the soundcard, audio out to the monitors. but worried that this would dilute the sound further?

2. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

In my non-professional, purely subjective opinion, without ever actually hearing it, I'd have to give it a solid "Ew".

3. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

To be clear about this your system has been put together with some knowledge and love.
    If you are happy with it then that is all that matters.
    However, you mention record damage.
    The cartridge is one i am familiar with. It tracks well and has a decent performance.
    Most of the turntables i see in , say Maplins , where i see dj equipment are very lightweight and plasticy( if there is such a word)
    A test record would be unfair. But nontheless, will tell you how it fares, performance wise.
    The truth lies in what the hi-fi purists usually Persue . Maximum information retrieval, performance and not too much rubbish added.not so much neutrality , but reasonably accurate.
    To this end mixers and equalisers and such are not used.
    But...in there place we use depending on the amplifier or pre( in the case of seperate pre/power) a seperate phono stage to nurture the very low output to line level accurately. Often capitance loading, output adjustment are common to fine tune the cartridge for optimum performance. The idea is that ANY information lost at this stage, cannot be replaced later!
    Turntables start with possibly a Rega or Project. Both are minimalist. They posess a motor that rotates at the correct speed( more or less) and have a decent tone arm( tone arms have problems with vibrational modes, and this affects smoothness at frequency extremes) and a reasonable cartridge( which you have)
    All this is good , but unless set up properly , and mounted on a decent shelf is largely lost!
    There are , as you say aids, to help insure proper alignment, mats to improve the sound.These days , big business.
    So where does this leave you. This is quite an answer. Some might not agree with my views but I have tried to be honest as tactfully as I can. It's quite simple. Find a fellow entheuiast and beg an audition taking along some of your favourite records.
    See if your over /under whelmed with what a reasonable set up delivers.
    Good luck.

wandique, jdjones, Manimal and 7 others like this.
  4. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

The only thing I would ditch is your inferiority complex!

What do you need this gear for? Home and domestic listening, or work in a professional environment?

I'd ignore the first reply from Henry H, and draw your attention to the Sound on Sound review for your speakers here:

JBL LSR305 & LSR308 ยป

You'll find they're pretty good and being active and, on the back of that review, comparable and probably better than many of the passive speakers you'd pay similar money for. Or even, more.

The source gear, I'd look at replacing as and when budget allows. So many repairs in a short time suggests they're not looking at a rosy future!

However as to your question, your gear is, or was, serviceable, did a job and I'd hang on to your speakers for now while looking at replacing your sources once you've decided what you need them for.

gd0, somnar, Sailfree and 1 other person like this.
  5. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Is the mixer what you use at home for listening to records?

It really all depends on what you are tiring to accomplish. If the priority is creation and performance, I can only guess that what you have is good. If you are trying to get high quality playback of lp's, an equipment change would be a good idea. A stereo amplifier is going to be better than a mixer for home use and playback.

Kyhl likes this.
  6. Brother_Rael

His actives come with the amps already, so he'd just need a preamp to handle control duties.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  7. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

:righton:

Fishoutofwater and Juan Matus like this.
  8. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Ah, I see. If exploration and change is the goal I would still think about replacing the mixer with a phono stage for the analog playback. Shal we say a less complicated path from the table to the amp might yeild some benefits.

And ortofon 2m red would Also give it a kick in the butt.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  9. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

If you like your system that's all that matters. The hi end is an almost endless road. There will always be something considered better or different. It can be fun experiencing new gear and hearing the music you love like its the first time you heard it but it can also be a slippery slope of dissatisfaction. As long as your turntable and cartridge aren't damaging your LPs and you like what you're hearing, you are good to go. :cheers:

10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

That system is bad. If you can afford to upgrade, do so. Otherwise, enjoy what you have.

The Pinhead and Pastafarian like this.
  11. middleWave

yes it is. i guess i could line straight into the monitors for a cleaner sound? HOWEVER - i use the turntable for sampling into my keyboard, so it's easy to run through the mixer first for both listening AND sampling.

if i wanted to get a clear improvement for LISTENING, would it make more sense to get a better turntable + phono pre-amp lined directly into my speakers? (rather than a stereo amp?)

12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

^^^^Yes, better TT, Cart, and phono pre, would make things much better.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  13. middleWave

I understand it's bad, which is why I started this thread :)

If you were to pinpoint the weakest link in my chain, what would you do about it? And what would you replace it with (keeping budget in mind)?

I also forgot to add that I plan on replacing the turntable with an SL-1200 whenever i can find a reliable one in good condition.

i'll be at this for life, so slow upgrades step by step will work just fine.

14. middleWave

pardon my ignorance, but would you line directly into the speakers from the pre-amp, bypassing the mixer altogether? as mentioned, the turntable has dual function for me (as i sample into the keyboard with it - and the mixer enables that). but i wouldn't mind reworking the cables for a clearly better listening experience. would be best if i never had to unplug cables though.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  15. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Don't understand the inferiority complex bit the guy knows his gear can be bettered, that's not a complex. that's facing facts.
    He is, I doubt, on hear to boost his ego. Just get better sound.

sami and Dennis0675 like this.
  16. Brother_Rael

Starting off "how bad is my system" suggests otherwise considering his other comments, albeit my reply was somewhat tongue in cheek.

His speakers are good, and, for the purposes he needed the gear, better than an idler drive turntable and valve SET arrangement. Times and needs change, but "bad" it's not.

royzak2000 likes this.
  17. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

If those speakers have RCA inputs, I think going straight from the phono stage will work. It needs to go into something that has a volume control.

18. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

I understand you said it with a smile, bad is quite a strong word but to me it just means I know this can be bettered.

19. Brother_Rael

This is the current version of the passive preamp (sometimes referred to as a monitor controller) that I use, JBL's M Patch 2, but many others are available:-

[​IMG]

20. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

First replace the mixer with an early-70's receiver/integrated amp from Sony/Marantz/Sansui. Research these on the internet.

Next find a mid-80's Denon turntable, one with a 'Dynamic servo tracer' tonearm, and get a new cartridge that fits your budget.

After the turntable save up to get an external phono preamp. Much, much info available right here on entry-level phono preamps.

Research all these items on the internet.

All of these items can provide you with outstanding sound quality without having to spend a fortune. Shop wisely and cautiously. And lose the frame of mind where you think you know how something sounds without having heard it, i.e. cables. :righton:

21. Brother_Rael

He has active speakers, they already have amps onboard, so he really needs a preamp.

22. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

your speakers are not the weakest link. I would have gone with yamaha hs8 though.

the Turntable setup is weak. track a technics sl1200, betetr cartridge and phono stage.

23. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Yeah, you're correct, but I wouldn't build a new system based on his keeping those speakers. I really don't know because I've never head them (or any of his stuff for that matter :)). His current system might have great synergy and sound fine.

24. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I cannot comment on how bad your system is because I've never heard it. I tend to think a turntable is like a race car - either you are a great driver (and can make the best of a low cost race car) or you are a poor driver and need a high priced racecar.

The good news is that you have a frame of reference - you understand how your current system sounds - you can now tweak each part and determine if it can be bested. Speakers seem small - perhaps add a really nice musical sub (ex Rhythmic) see how that helps - or perhaps find some large really rich sounding speakers. I'd probably upgrade in this order:

Speakers - I like a big rich deep soundstage - I like large butt.. woofers. Then look to your amp/preamp - upgrade to a nice integrated - perhaps dabble in tubes - buy a kit and solder it together - then look into a turntable upgrade perhaps if you are still interested.

25. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I would start by getting the source the best that you can....that's the turntable and cart. Build out from there. Save up and get a Rega or similar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.