Just how good is Ed Sheeran?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cool Chemist, Jan 14, 2022.

1. JohnJ

JohnJ Forum Resident

we haven’t had a new thread on him for approx 7 hours. Time for a new one.

DTK, Amnion and ARK like this.
  2. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

You sure it was that long?

ARK and JohnJ like this.
  3. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

I’ll tell you what Ed Sheeran is very good at is holding the attention of my daughters (ages 8 & 6) - He is one of the artists that they love and I can appreciate.

All of us in the car singing Castle on the Hill at the top of our lungs on the way home from soccer practice is the BEST

Jarleboy and ARK like this.
  4. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

This is on youtube - its an “Elders React to Ed Sheeran”, and it’s like your Grandpa being cool - embarrassing, if somewhat endearing. I would hate to have this Forum end up being the print version of the “Elders react” series. Maybe we should focus on stuff we actually know something about - like who plays which guitar solos on At Fillmore East.

misteranderson, Jarleboy and lobo like this.
  5. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident

With only 5 studio albums, he doesn’t have a long enough track record to be one of “the greats.” He has, however, written two timeless ballads that will probably still be played 30 years from now: “Thinking Out Loud” and “Perfect.”

6. jdthebrit1

jdthebrit1 Forum Resident

One of the wife's and daughter's all time favourites. Thought I was missing something, so.......
    I was home alone for the week. I took the dog to my favourite craft beer place, had a cracking night, with the boys and gals patting the labrador while I was quaffing the ales and munching through my favourite oven baked Margarita Pizza.....
    Then off home with the craft ale bottle takeaways, suitably oiled, to crank up the old modest hi-fi with some digital Lossless downloads of Big Ed, and I definitely gave it the full hour.
    No - it wasn't my bias. The "music" was still total gash. Oh well - at least I tried.

Twinge Crispy likes this.
  7. Paul W

Paul W Senior Member

Ha-ha! On key or off key?

8. AwaitingOnYouAl

AwaitingOnYouAl Only a Northern

Bowie wrote Space Oddity at 22.

Released The Man Who Sold the World at 23; Dory at 24...

Yeah, not even close. Bowie influenced an entire generation or two; Sheeran merely made background music for the sexual exploits of teenagers with their parents money.

Philip Gruber likes this.
  9. Slimpickens

Slimpickens Forum Resident

I didn’t say people who don’t care for his music are ignorant fools. I was referring to the quote about people continuing to comment on Adele who don’t know who she is.
    All good. ✌️

10. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I once learned an Ed Sheeran solo to teach it to a guitar student of mine, and there were some decent licks in there. C# minor pentatonic with some natural minor in there, nothing harmonically mindblowing but he clearly knows his way around a six-string

Like his music or not, he is playing instruments and making loads of people happy with his music - good on him.

Twinge Crispy and Jarleboy like this.
  11. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

He can only sing in one key, so sometimes yes and sometimes no.

Paul W likes this.
  12. PeanutButterParty

PeanutButterParty Forum Resident

He is pretty good and he has talent but he is no Benny Goodman.

Jarleboy likes this.
  13. cyril sneer

cyril sneer Forum Resident

He's a lot better than that other one, Adele. To be fair to him I tend to find myself liking one or two of his singles from each album when they come on the radio. I liked Bad Habits from his new album. I wouldn't buy an album of his though.

14. dunkoid

dunkoid Forum Resident

My bad, sorry.

Slimpickens likes this.
  15. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Seems like a decent guy.

Time will tell how good he is.

Jarleboy likes this.
  16. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I'd rate him plus/minus divided by x.

Jarleboy and Eric_Generic like this.
  17. SCMusicFan

SCMusicFan Forum Resident

I can respect anyone who can entertain and bring happiness to people, even if I don't like their stuff. Even Vanilla Ice and Sir-Mix-A-Lot get some props for me.

Jarleboy likes this.
  18. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Doesn’t seem any different in style of song from anyone current. Country, Rn B, all have an approach to songwriting that mirrors his. Any awards show has an interchangeable song no matter the performer. He is just one of em right now. No better or worse. He reminds me of the sixties Philly crooners. Or Shawn Cassidy. Just a young cute one who the girls like. An old formula.

19. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

It is interesting that here is a major artist of the time yet I have zero interest in knowing him. I have seen some video performances on TV but have never taken the time to pursue his recorded music. This is not some denigration comment of his music but rather just an observation of myself and my lack of interest in his music. I am an older "boomer" yet I have stayed engaged in some newer artists just not Ed.

Paul W likes this.
  20. Jimmy Jam

Jimmy Jam Forum Resident

And Sheeran wrote "Galway Girl" at 25, the "Space Oddity" of his generation

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  21. AwaitingOnYouAl

AwaitingOnYouAl Only a Northern

God I hope you're kidding.

dmiller458 likes this.
  22. Jimmy Jam

Jimmy Jam Forum Resident

I am.... its a very hard thread to take seriously

dmiller458 likes this.
  23. Nike

Nike Duke

Poor artist and geek looking

Philip Gruber likes this.
  24. hammondjake

hammondjake Forum Resident

See, I'm a simple man and my simple musical appreciation scale goes up in whole numbers from zero to one. I'm afraid Bowie and Ed both get a zero from me, but looked at another way, they're not far off the top!

25. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

:confused: