Just me or did things look better back then

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by T69, Aug 13, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earthbound2

Earthbound2 Forum Resident

My funny pictures didn’t post! A young Brad Pitt and a wrinkled old man. New here and have to figure out posting pics. I guess cutting and pasting doesn’t work.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  2. Neonknight1

Neonknight1 Forum Resident

Not really. Never cared for silver faced gear with dozens of buttons and switches. Prefer the look of modern gear from 2000's and on as a general rule.

Yes there are some beauties like the Klipsch Belle, but it doesn't mean I want to listen to them on a daily basis.

T69 likes this.
  3. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

[​IMG]

Uh no. It’s not just you.

slater529, Jimi Floyd, T69 and 7 others like this.
  4. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

Check out Wrensilva.

Davey and terzinator like this.
  5. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

It's not all bad dude...
    Yamaha, Luxman, Accuphase, etc still maintain the same thing. A lot of the Chifi stuff (non existent back then) are solid metal beasts.
    Maybe, a lot of the Anglo/American junk has gone with more plastic to boost profit.

showtaper and T69 like this.
  6. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

Take the black ones then!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jim0830, bluesky, MCM_Fan and 5 others like this.
  7. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

“made in the USA” - I mean, made to maximize profit lol :p
    But there are still plenty American devices in heavy metal cases like the Parasound amp I got quite recently.

8. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

One thing this thread illustrates for me is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

gd0, black sheriff, T69 and 9 others like this.
  9. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

In addition to beauty being in the eye of the beholder, there is the influencing factor of what is "in" at the time. In the late 1960s when receivers with wooden cases, metal faces, and lots of switches and meters were popular, a lot of people would have disliked the simplicity of a Rogue Sphinx and felt they were missing out on a big part of the experience. I recall my delight on watching the meters on a Yamaha M-4 in the eighties, dancing in the dark. As styles change, the experience also changes. My appreciation for the old school look is certainly colored by nostalgia.

T69, Big Blue and jonwoody like this.
  10. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

But if it's in the ear of the beholder, why wouldn't it be in the eyes as well. :pleased:

11. P3ESRXD

P3ESRXD Arnaud, still enjoying...with what I have

T69 and jonwoody like this.
  12. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit

you're probably talking about American "design" vs specifically "made in the USA" but I'm pretty sure those parasounds are made in Taiwan.

bever70, Oelewapper and Jimi Floyd like this.
  13. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Not just you but not for me. Sure there are some stand out classics but in general quality modern hardware and supporting furnishings looks better than ever.

14. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Ah yes I forgot...
    They moved production to Taiwan to maximize profit... whoops bad example lol

terzinator likes this.
  15. Alright4now

Alright4now Forum Resident

I own a vintage McIntosh rig (C-33 + MC-2105) solely because they look incredible. Of course, the sound is great, but I reckon I could buy a brand new Yamaha integrated (that also look nice, but not as nice) and have great sound too.

I have no qualms admitting that I own my vintage McIntosh units because they are beautiful. And obviously, if they didn't sound great, I wouldn't have them.

Daring, T69 and BrentB like this.
  16. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I definitely looked better back then.

jonwoody, T69 and ronm like this.
  17. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

I don't use them anymore, BUT I still have them, I still love them

[​IMG]

18. Alright4now

Alright4now Forum Resident

Beauties! Why don't you use them anymore?

Jimi Floyd likes this.
  19. Carrman

Carrman Forum Resident

There's something about nostalgia in general that makes old things look better now, I think.

I remember in the late 80's looking at all of the boxy, square cars on the road, thinking they were ugly and plain at the time and wondering if they would ever become 'classics', viewed the same way cars from the 50's-70's have been. Now when I see an old boxy, 80's car on the street I think they look so cool, simply because they are unique now.

T69 and jfeldt like this.
  20. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

Newer pre+amp in the main system, no place for a 2nd system in the house...

Alright4now likes this.
  21. The Curator

The Curator Forum Resident

As I read through the thread I was preparing to say that the '70s Marantz typeface is a thing of beauty and should be available in the MS Word font dropdowns...

T69 and Jimi Floyd like this.
  22. Paramanta

Paramanta Active Member

Here's a book that many of you might be interested in.

My copy hasn't arrived yet, but it looks to be a glossy art book about the history of audio design.

[​IMG]

jonwoody and Jimi Floyd like this.
  23. Ampexed

Ampexed Forum Resident

Having lived through the "Golden Age" of HiFi, I'd have to be of two minds on this. In the 50s, a lot of equipment - even expensive McIntosh stuff looked pretty industrial. They got more fancy in the late 50s and beyond. The Japanese stuff from the 60s and 70s looked pretty impressive.

Today, the trend I'm afraid to say is to look more like an appliance, like a toaster oven. Perhaps there's marketing research to support the look, but personally I find today's gear boring, or with very high end gear, outright gaudy.

T69 and Jimi Floyd like this.
  24. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Things looked 'much better' back then. :agree:

T69 likes this.
  25. theMot

theMot Forum Resident

Nostalgia or not I think some of those are really nice classic designs. One thing about hifi I have felt is that a lot of modern gear is very ordinary looking aesthetically. Of course the sound is the most important thing but some designs just look like an afterthought.

T69 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.