"Just The Hits" - Elvis ~ Disc #4 [1960 - 1969]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob Lovely, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam Thread Starter

Friends,

I recorded this disc last night. Based on a number of suggestions made here, I picked up a number of tracks from the period 1960-1964. Then, I began recording "hit" singles where I had left off at the conclusion of Disc #3 in 1965. Again, as before, the mastering engineer is listed after the track. None of the tracks have been re-mastered beyond "level-matching". All tracks are Stereo mixes. Your comments are most welcome.

Acknowledgment: I would like thank SH Forums member chip-hp without whose valuable assistance this project would not have been possible. Thanks Chip! I would also like to thank everyone for their track suggestions.

"Just The Hits" - Elvis ~ Disc #4 [Master # 0395]

1. Reconsider Baby [Steve Hoffman]
    2. Girl Of My Best Friend [Hoffman]
    3. Lonely Man [Dennis Drake]
    4. Flaming Star [Drake]
    5. Suspicion [Drake]
    6. Anything That's Part Of You [Drake]
    7. What'd I Say [Drake]
    8. Do The Clam [Dick Baxter]
    9. (Such An) Easy Question [Drake]
    10. It Feels So Right [Drake]
    11. I'm Yours [Drake]
    12. Puppet On A String [Drake]
    13. Love Letters [Drake]
    14. Indescribably Blue [Drake]
    15. Long Legged Girl (With A Short Dress On) [Baxter]
    16. There's Always Me [Drake]
    17. Big Boss Man [Drake]
    18. Guitar Man [mastering credit unknown]*
    19. U.S. Male [Drake]
    20. Let Yourself Go [Drake]
    21. A Little Less Conversation [Drake]
    22. Almost In Love [Drake]
    23. If I Can Dream [Vic Anesini] [Remix]
    24. Memories [Anesini] [Remix]
    25. In The Ghetto [Hoffman]
    26. Clean Up Your Own Backyard [Drake]
    27. Suspicious Minds [Hoffman]
    28. Don't Cry Daddy [Drake]

#

* From the BMG Taiwan 2-disc set, The 50 Greatest Hits

Next up: Disc #5, 1970's.

Bob :)

2. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Sounds like an excellent program.

('Cept for "Do the Clam" :))

3. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

Glad to be of assistance :) ... I "discovered" several Elvis songs in the process ...

4. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

Bob,

Good selection. What made you decide on "Do the Clam" and "Long Legged Girl"? Just curious...

5. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Hey, where's "Come What May"....:D

Other than that, pretty solid collection.....:edthumbs:

:ed:

6. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

Not familiar with E's version ... flip of a chart single? ... couldn't find it listed as an LP track ...

7. Bob Lovely

The primary goal on this project was to present all single releases, regardless of popularity or how much I like them personally. Make sense?

8. Bob Lovely

Chip,

Which tracks did you "discover"?

Bob

9. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

As I mentioned to you ... I haven't paid much attention to Elvis songs after 1964 ... I know most of the big hits after 1964 (but don't necessarily care for some of them) ... but some of the ones that I "discovered" that I like are ... I'll Remember You, Down in the Alley, Indescribably Blue, There's Always Me, Let Yourself Go and After Loving You from the '65 thru '69 ...

10. Bob Lovely

I like these tracks. Some of these were certainly under appreciated at the time due to then current trends. Today, a number of them stand-up quite well...

11. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

How did you like Tomorrow is a Long Time and You Don't Know Me? Both are also great tunes of this era.

12. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

Not sure that I have heard TIALT ... I'll check it out ... I am familiar with E's version of YDKM ... it's good ... but I prefer Ray Charles' version the best (one of my favorite songs) ... followed by Lenny Welch's ...

13. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Has the correct single version of "I'm Yours" finally appeared on CD? The original LP cut has Elvis' voice double-tracked. But the 45 that was a hit in 1965 has his voice single-tracked. When I did my Elvis: 30 True #1 Hits collection a couple years ago, I dubbed the single version of "I'm Yours" from a clean 45.

14. Bob Lovely

Hi Tim,

The version I recorded has what appears to be a double-tracked vocal sung more as a harmony versus another identical vocal take. So, I have recorded the Stereo LP mix...

Bob

15. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

No, It has never been released on cd by BMG iirc. It has appeared on bootlegs.

16. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

Yes, it does.

17. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

I agree. Tomorrow is a Long Time is a great cover of the Dylan song.

18. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

It is a great track. It is shame Elvis got sick during his March 1971 Nashville sessions as he was planning to do a folk album (just as Elvis Country was a country album). They managed to record Early Morning Rain, (That's What You Get) For Lovin' Me, The First Time I Ever Saw Your Face and Amazing Grace before he left for the hospital where he was diagnosed with secondary glaucoma. More Dylan covers were definitely planned and he did jam on Don't Think Twice It's Alright and sang an off-the cuff I Shall Be Released later in the year.

Besides the folk album, two other albums worth of material was also to be recorded. What is not known is whether these two other albums were the gospel and Christmas albums that were later recorded at the May 1971 sessions. My guess is that the gospel album is probably a good bet, but Elvis was deadset against another Christmas album and had to be talked into it. What a shame as Elvis was still riding high from 68/69 and had an artistic vision during this period.

19. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

A folk album? That would have been interesting! Isn't "Blowin' in the Wind" included on the 70's Masters series?

20. I don't have much to add, except that I think "Beyond the Reef" from the "Nashville to Memphis" box set is essential on any cd covering the 60's. On the other hand, it was not a hit, or a single at all, so you're forgiven for not including it.

21. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Yes, a folk album. Elvis was heavily into folk during the 60's although he never really recorded much material in the studio. However, home recordings from this era have been released and definitely show the influence with many performances of different tracks (including Blowin' in the Wind) committed to tape.

22. trip1

trip1 Forum Resident

How about adding "Long Lonley Highway" a lost gem?

23. Bob Lovely

Generally, these sets are about "hit singles", with a few exceptions where I have included notable LP tracks...

24. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Love that hallowed 'M-G-M' tradition....several biggies, a few choice 'Just The Hits' Lp cuts.....:D ;)

Hey, how else do ya yet 'Volume 2'......:)

:ed:

25. Bob Lovely

Ed,

There will (5) discs: (2) 50's, (2) 60's and (1) 70's. Best-masterings for each track...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.