Kate Bush Remasters 2018.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dunkrag, Oct 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. getstew

getstew Forum Resident

This is wonderfully odd, and though I'm a huge fan, I've never seen it. Thanks!
    So Kate Bush is Jimmy Page then? At least at times... :)

2. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Ideally for both. That way I can listen to the vinyl when I’m sat in front of my stereo, and the download literally any other time I want to.

If I buy the vinyl, I resent having to also pay to get a digital option, when many new albums and reissues give me that for free.

Especially with these KB reissues, where it’s cost me £120 to get digital versions of all these remasters from iTunes. (Perhaps they know that the people who really care will do this, like the mugs that we are...)

Max Florian and helu like this.
  3. helu

helu Well-Known Member

Same here. I enjoy playing the vinyl at certain occasions, but most of the times (in other rooms than the main setup, at work, when travelling and commuting etc etc) I listen to digital files. Other than that I like the artwork etc of the vinyl. I really like the vinyl + download combination since I really like to have both and I don't like to pay twice.

In this case i bought vinyl boxes 1 and 4 since I wanted the first four albums remastered on vinyl and I also liked the concept of the b-sides and cover compilations. For digital, I bought cd box 1 since I think it offers good value for money (I paid approx 60-65€), and CD quality is good enough for me – I don't need 24-bit files unless they offer a different mastering. I did not buy the second box set since it costs almost twice as much as the first one and to me it's not as interesting. I would have bought it if it had the same price as box 1, though.

4. mishima's dog

mishima's dog Forum Resident

Spot on. For me cd and vinyl are totally different experiences. Cd is for headphone listening and detail. Vinyl is for filling the room with warmth and beauty.

5. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

I personally prefer the originals 'TOCP's' etc but this is only based by listening via Spotify, the remasters sound good but no better than the originals, so if I was a new Kate fan the remasters would be good but I see absolutely no need to upgrade !!

I just hope we get a comprehensive 2 Disc Greatest Hits in the not too distant future !! :)

6. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Record the vinyl to digital files.

Or just torrent them.

7. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Digital to vinyl to digital just seems wrong.

Stuart S and Max Florian like this.
  8. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Not in this thread, please. There are hundreds of others dealing with that topic.

keiron99, MikeManaic61, bob60 and 3 others like this.
  9. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I wouldn't say that, but the blessing in Lily is from the Golden Dawn tradition. Crowley swiped it from them, and I suspect Lily Cornford herself was in that tradition, rather than Crowley's.

This is definitely an area I'm personally conflicted about. I would have preferred that Kate had not fallen into the clutches of the old fraud, but it's her life and her money.

DHamilton, Cat People and getstew like this.
  10. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Gabriel before me
    Raphael behind me
    Michael to my right
    Uriel on my left side
    In the circle of fire

The Archangels are not frauds my friend. I'll leave it at that.

Artdob likes this.
  11. Chris DeVoe

Lily Cornford was an evil fraudster who "treated" people with serious diseases like cancer with colored lights. From one of her "Color Workshop" talks:

Then we have pearl, the quality of pearl is cleansing. It is somewhat akin to spring green but we use it primarily for the etheric. When we are healing someone with cancer, and we are healing their throat, we use pearl because we are working with the etheric body.
    I wish I believed in Hell, so I could believe she is roasting there. Death is too easy for people who prey on the sick.

basie-fan, DHamilton, mcd4959 and 4 others like this.
  12. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

This thread is so daunting, simple question (that may already be answered), how is "Hounds of Love" remastered CD?

My experience:
    - Original CD has a slight digital glare which I never liked
    - Audio Fidelity LP is smooth as silk, but a little too mellow for my tastes

I'd like something in the middle. Is the new CD it or little different to the original CD?

Was "Hounds of Love" a digital production to begin with? So may always have that particular sound?

Thanks.

andycherry, Kit2010 and Max Florian like this.
  13. helu

helu Well-Known Member

AFAIK, the only 2018 remasters available on Spotify are som ot the tracks from vinyl box 4. Are you comparing those to the Japanese TWW box set?

LivingForever likes this.
  14. helu

helu Well-Known Member

This has been said before in this thread, but the sound of albums such as Hounds of Love has much more to do with processing and mixing decisions rather than the recording medium being analogue or digital. It was simply the sound in fashion at that point of time. There are other recordings from the same era being recorded using similar equipment that sound much 'better' or 'analogue' (if you by this mean warm and airy), it's down to the producer and engineers and their particular ideas of how the finished albums should sound

The same could be said about the 'analogue' remaster of The Red Shoes from 2011. The differences in sound is much more down to drastically different EQing of the two masters.

Digital did not sound that 'bad'. Not in 1985 and definitely not in 1993. :)

15. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

HoL was an analog recording. But it hardly mattered, as it was littered with digital kit, including the Fairlight sampler and the infamous Eventide Harmonizer, an early digital processor from the '70s which famously gave Bowie's Low and Heroes their cold mechanical sound. Bush was also compressing the hell out of many elements - especially her voice - giving the record a sometimes harsh, in-your-face sound. (Although she also had sense enough not to compress everything, lending the record a kind of enhanced 3D quality, with elements in your face contrasting with elements recessed into the far background.)

basie-fan and Chris DeVoe like this.
  16. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Doesn't mean some of us don't think it's a daft concept. Transfering for the car as the equivalent of taping maybe, but I found that too laborious. Surely if you have internet in modern cars you can just use Spotify (SQ isn't so important in that environment).

17. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The downloads can be attractive if they use WAV files. But most are bad MP3. I did try a Paul Simon album downloaded to my computer ages ago (mostly I don't bother), and this being WAV sounded great through Oppo 205 via Wi-Fi. MP3 files of other albums sounded pretty awful. Other good downloads I found I had were from the recent Nick Drake reissues. Spotify and Youtube via Chromecast can sound better than some of the files from download cards.

18. Cat People

Cat People Forum Resident

I feel the same way, Chris. As Dylan stated: 'You gotta serve somebody' - I guess these high profile individuals get a lot of attention from people wanting them to think the way that they do.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  19. Chris DeVoe

At the time, Kate had been dealing with the deaths of a lot of people close to her, but the hardest had to have been her mother Hannah, and she would have been very emotionally vulnerable. She's always had a tendency towards non-mainstream beliefs, but one would hope that she'd remain sensible enough to avoid ones that cause actual harm.

Cat People and Max Florian like this.
  20. zoomin

zoomin Forum Resident

Fist listen to Aeiral on vinyl last night.

Quality of the pressing was top notch - flat and no surface noise to speak of.

I haven't really listened to my Aerial CD recently enough to comment on the comparative mastering but I enjoyed it.

21. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

Has anyone seen the vinyl Aerial by itself on sale in the US yet? Online they all seem to be imports and unavailable.

22. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Got my Remastered CD Box 1 yesterday. Listened to Never For Ever and skimmed through Lionheart and The Dreaming. Whilst they sound really good I didn't think they sounded notably different from the original CDs. A tad clearer maybe.

I didn't notice anything going on with Violin either. Sounded fine to me.

My set is matt, which I prefer. Not a fan of gloss.

Neonbeam, Galactus and EricRiotT like this.
  23. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Hi, do you think it was worth purchasing or not? I have the This Woman’s Work box and all the cds after that, so I’m still on the fence. Also, I’ve been looking at the usual Australian suspects - JB, Amazon - did you find a good price elsewhere? Cheers

24. Galactus

Galactus Forum Resident

You just gotta love this forum :righton:

25. lee59

lee59 Member Envy

I bought the lot on both formats.

Both sound great. Better than any other LP or CD I've had, and I have all sorts of US, UK and other pressings/masterings of just about everything.

Gotta say, the original Fish People 'Directors Cut' and '50 Words' were poor quality. Hideous pops and clicks. I am relieved that these pressings are perfectly quiet.

This series is my go-to for both formats. Wish it had the rest of the outtakes (e.g. "Ken") but that is a very small complaint.

Well done, Kate.

We're ready for some new music now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.